Thread: Need help with 383 TBI

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
    How far off should I expect the stock fuel/timing tables to be though? I learned how to use TP on my bone stock engine, but have no experience in what happens when you change heads, stroke, ect.
    If I take the stock tables, set initial spark, and change engine constants, are tables going to be close enough to start/run so I can go from there? Or do I need to adjust anything first? Idle RPM?
    Sorry, I really have started over stressing this, and second guessing every little thing.
    Set the injector flow rate, set the displacement, raise the idle to ~750, add some fuel (10% or so) to the VE above ~60 KPA. It should run well enough for initial startup.

My 383 TPI ran well enough on the TBI 350 stock tune to drive and load on the trailer when I brought it home.
    Last edited by Fast355; 01-28-2023 at 08:24 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    What are you doing for a fuel pump and what fuel pressure were you going to use as a base setting?
    My Vortec headed Comp Cam TBI 350 first fired and idled with the stock TBI fuel pump and pressure but even with altering the VE tables the stock pump will be highly unlikely to keep up with any W.O.T runs.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitch View Post
    What are you doing for a fuel pump and what fuel pressure were you going to use as a base setting?
    My Vortec headed Comp Cam TBI 350 first fired and idled with the stock TBI fuel pump and pressure but even with altering the VE tables the stock pump will be highly unlikely to keep up with any W.O.T runs.
    I put a vortec pump in it and fuel pressure is set at 18.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    Set the injector flow rate, set the displacement, raise the idle to ~750, add some fuel (10% or so) to the VE above ~60 KPA. It should run well enough for initial startup.

My 383 TPI ran well enough on the TBI 350 stock tune to drive and load on the trailer when I brought it home.
    Thanks, good to know

Fuel Injected!
    Went ahead and fired up, set initial timing, but having ignition issues. By recommendation, I used Accel distributor (performance replacement) and wires (superstock spiral core). Pertronix Flamethrower coil. Plugs are BKR5E. Anyone see this happen before? I tried putting the distributor from my old engine in it and it did the same thingScreenshot_20230130_065738.jpg

Administrator
    This is usually because the definition file is reading the wrong values for spark or has the wrong math to convert the computer data to correct spark numbers. The way the numbers change appears to roughly match a spark table but the values are incorrect so I would suspect wrong math.

Which definition are you using?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    This is usually because the definition file is reading the wrong values for spark or has the wrong math to convert the computer data to correct spark numbers. The way the numbers change appears to roughly match a spark table but the values are incorrect so I would suspect wrong math.

Which definition are you using?
    Advanced $0D TP5 v251

Administrator
    There are notes that instruct the user to make a change to the conversion math. You can use those notes to make sure the math in your file is set up for zero degrees distributor angle.

There are two values that need to be set for your engine, Initial Advance and Injector Flow. Initial Advance: After loading A217 $0D TP5 v250.adx into your definitions menu, and opening, go to the Acquisition menu and open Edit Definition. Click on the + sign beside the word Values. An expanded menu will open. Drop down and click on Spark Advance. Then click on the Conversion tab at the bottom of the screen. Next click on the Set button at the top and change the last number in the equation to the Initial Spark Advance. This can be found at 4133 in the bin file. The Initial Spark Advance should match the advance set at the distributor. This will correct the Spark Advance display. If you decide to leave this as is, then you will need to add the appropriate amount of Spark Advance to the displayed amount when viewing, as the definition is set-up for 0 Initial Advance

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    There are notes that instruct the user to make a change to the conversion math. You can use those notes to make sure the math in your file is set up for zero degrees distributor angle.
    Thanks! I missed that, somehow, I'll check it out this evening