Thread: Hello all

Carb and Points!

Hello all

I guess I'm an old dog trying to learn new tricks. I have a 76 Cj5 with a 304. I'm wanting to convert it to Chevy TBI. My knowledge is very limited on these systems, so trying to learn as much as I can. I know that there are a few companies out there that sell kits for this conversion but would really like to piece together a system myself and learn about the operation and tuning. I know there's lots of good information on this forum and lots on knowledgeable people. Looking forward to learning from you all.

Administrator
    Welcome to Gearhead-efi! Have a look around and feel free to ask plenty of questions. I have a 78 CJ I'd love to restore, but "restore" will probably be more like "replace" due to the rust!

Carb and Points!
    Sweet! I also have a 76 CJ5 with a 304 that I converted to Chevy TBI a few years ago. With that said, I am still learning how to tune it correctly. I get to study for a bit, life takes over for a while, then I am back to tuning it again, but I forget half the stuff I learned last time I was studying ;-) There are a few folks on here and other boards that are really helpful. Sometimes almost too much information to sift through though. But it is a learning process.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by 76CJ5 View Post
    Sweet! I also have a 76 CJ5 with a 304 that I converted to Chevy TBI a few years ago. With that said, I am still learning how to tune it correctly. I get to study for a bit, life takes over for a while, then I am back to tuning it again, but I forget half the stuff I learned last time I was studying ;-) There are a few folks on here and other boards that are really helpful. Sometimes almost too much information to sift through though. But it is a learning process.
    Cool. Did you buy a kit or do a junk yard install? If the latter did you use a 305 Tbi? Was it a good starting point or did it require tuning to get it running /drivable?

Carb and Points!
    Did the junk yard thing. I am too poor/cheap to pay $1200+ bucks when I can figure it out for myself with help. :-) The Dynamic EFI computer was the most expensive part, but well worth it in my mind because I can flash new bins on the fly and it has a learning function that has been really helpful.

76CJ5 with a mildly warm 304 and a transplanted a Chevy 305 TBI system.
    The computer is a 7747 from DynamicEFI so I can flash on the fly and use TunerPro to make adjustments.
    Ignition starts at the GM HEI module -> through a MSD 6A box -> big cap dizzy, thus the computer controls timing as well.
    Sensors used are NBO2, knock, CTS and speed.

Once I got it together and used the templet files closest to what I had, it ran ok, but a Chevy engine is tuned differently than an AMC. Hence why I am here on this board, to get help learning how to get the most out of my engine.

I have done some timing tuning and gained a lot of torque so I know I am on the right path, but it is a path and needs to be traveled.

Carb and Points!
    Sorry I realized after my post I did not answer one of your questions. Yes I used the 305 TBI. But keep in mind the only difference between the 4.3, 5.0 and 5.7 TBI is the injector size and the program in the computer. When you go to the 454 TBI is when the throttle bores grow to 2" from 1 3/4 (ish). I don't know that the 2" bore would make any difference on our 304s ether good or bad. Hopefully someone else here can answer that part.

Carb and Points!
    Thanks for the info 76CJ5. I checked out Dynamic efi. I think I'm going to follow your footsteps an go with their ECM. I like that tune on the fly vs burning chips. Thanks again.