Thread: What If? $8D (1227727 ECM) for TBI

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I opened the APTW bin EagleMark posted earlier in my hex editor. It appears that that is an $89 bin. Open a bin file in your hex editor, it is the 9th byte from the start of the bin.
    Last edited by jim_in_dorris; 12-30-2011 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jim_in_dorris View Post
    I opened the APTW bin EagleMark posted earlier in my hex editor. It appears that that is an $89 bin. Open a bin file in your hex editor, it is the 9th byte from the start of the bin.
    Thanks Jim!

But no signs of a $89 xdf anywhere in my computer...

Seems like Jim and I know Greg and some others on here could give us new guys a hex lesson.....

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I wonder if an $8D xdf would work, probably not. $8F looks like a bin for boosted applications. Also, the $8D doesn't appear at a quick glance to be convertable to TBI from TPI like $0D or $0E.

Administrator
    The 8707 / 8708 ecm's have slightly different hardware inside Unknown what all differences are but $58 at least chokes in the 8707. There is one calibration which will run in both ecm's. Is it AKAL?? I'll have to check the home PC because I can't remember for sure. But I have worked on disassembling it more than once, and in fact there's both an 8707 and a 7749 on my test bench from about 5 years ago when I last played with this.

I've been doing more research on the 1228708 Memcal, basically it appears some of the Quad 4 Memcals are still available from GM PartsDirect. I have a copy of the Moates.net BCC Lookup.xls spreadsheet. The spreadsheet shows eprom part numbers? When I put in what should be 1228708 Quad 4 eprom part numbers into GM PartsDirect, I'm given a price of about $50 along with a description ~ EPROM PKG. I find this information encouraging, as it might be possible to get a moderate price for a rebuilt 1228708 and possibly a new Memcal? I'm encouraged that TunerCats shows $A8 and $8B definitions and the Moates.net BBC Lookup shows which Memcal is associated with which definition. The only key piece I see missing in this venture is data logging software. I really can't confirm a functioning 1228708 TBI on a test bench without data logging.

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by jim_in_dorris View Post
    I wonder if an $8D xdf would work, probably not. $8F looks like a bin for boosted applications. Also, the $8D doesn't appear at a quick glance to be convertable to TBI from TPI like $0D or $0E.
    My original idea was to use $8D with resistors in series with the TBI PnH injectors. I've since learned that $8D would trigger the injectors every other Distributor Reference Pulse (DRP), when normally the TBI injectors would trigger on every DRP.

dave w

If you can give me year motor and body style we can find the ALDL for it. Or just go to bottom of this page and get the Index Doc. It will open in word or notepad. You can find the ALDL.ds for the year motor and body style. Kindof like the BCC lookup for the ADX side...
    http://gearhead-efi.com/gearhead-efi/def/aldl/

-= =-

$A8 1228707 or 1228708 91 Grand Am, Cutlass, Calais, Beretta LD2/LG0 (Quad 4)
    That A144 or A145 and we have both those.

$8B 1228707 or 1228708 90 Grand Am, Cutlass, Calais, Beretta LD2/LG0 (Quad 4)
    That is A092 or A093 and we have both those.

So making the ADX work is just some testing?

EDIT: Found some...
    Attached Files Attached Files

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    EDIT: Found some...
    Awesome!

I'll do some homework and get back to you in a day or so. I need a break from this research.

dave w

Administrator
    Back home now.

I didn't think of it earlier today but the best way to get TBI and weather tight P4 together is probably $58. It will support TBI mode and a gent from the UK named Robin Handley has done a bunch of work setting it up to run 1 BAR NA with 4 cyl race cars. Combine this with the Bill Shaw injector driver change and you've got 2 TBI injectors running on a V8. Plus it's upgradeable to PFI, or to pressurized tbi if desired.

Dual ecm cals are $6B mask. Cals include ARHM6030, ARPZ6720, and ANZF9577. Some quad 4 wiring had dual crank signals sent to the ecm from the ignition module, while others did not. The 8707 / 08 may have hardware designed to work with the additional signal. The code may check for the presence of this hardware then set a mode flag if found.

The 4 cyl TBI 7727 cal I have is FML7554. It is $3E mask. I just looked and knumcyl (number of cylinders) is selectable in this cal, unlike many of the 4 cylinder calibrations. So in theory it could be adapted to an 8 cylinder engine.

Why are you looking to get a quad 4 memcal? It's very inappropriate for an 8 cyl. If it's for testing / measuring, I have several here in various state of disassembly. I'm willing to check / measure these memcals. As far as running q4 code, it will run just fine in other 4 cyl memcals and IIRC it ran on a 7730 V6 memcal with no complaints.

The problem I'm facing with making TP defs is the time involved. I'd be happy to contribute $6B, $3E, and $89 defs if I didn't have to sit here and pull all the values from one software and manually enter them in another. It looks like that's the only option at this point. Anyone have any suggestions?