Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Injectors Vs Fuel Pressure

I am using a Red Devil River ALDL cable, with every log, no matter what, I have knock counts into the thousands. But I noticed, it seems like I get errors a good bit, like one every 2-3 minutes, sometimes more. But when I get this data error, the knock count goes nuts. Has anyone else seen this before? should I invest in a new cable? It also screws a lot of the other data up too when it does it. it's nothing I can't live with, just annoying I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by BLG355 View Post
    No matter what I changed(injectors and fuel pressure), the InjDC% never drops below 90-92. I changed the flow rate once but that didn't work so well. I am figuring on those numbers aren't quite accurate perhaps. I don't know.
    Changing injectors or fuel pressure will not change the duty cycle at WOT unless you change the VE table values or target PE AFR. When you increased fuel pressure your WOT O2 readings probably increased as well because with the same duty cycle and increased pressure the engine was running richer.

Are you still running the 61 lb injectors?

Quote Originally Posted by Roadknee View Post

Are you still running the 61 lb injectors?
    Yes, they are currently at 25.5psi, I am going to turn it back to 21.

Here's a more aggressive timing table you can try. Worse thing that can happen is you see knock counts and then you'll know for certain there is too much timing. Don't use the whole bin. Just copy and paste the table into the current bin you're using.

You mentioned you ran a compression test, but have you ever run a leakdown test? I wonder if leaking exhaust valves could be the cause of high exhaust EGT's.
    You sure you saved that or uploaded it correctly, I see no change in that table?
    89 K1500 Scottsdale 5.7L 5spd 3:42 RamJet cam Dart iron TBI heads 427 PCM swap
    95 C2500 Cheyenne 6.5L turbo diesel 4L80e 4:10 DB2-4911 Manual pump conversion 0411 PCM trans control 2Bar COS
    05 Outback XT 2.5L turbo gas auto

Quote Originally Posted by brian617 View Post
    You sure you saved that or uploaded it correctly, I see no change in that table?
    I did not. It is fixed now. Thanks for the heads-up.

I had modified the spark table, but did not close it out to save it to the loaded bin before saving the bin to the hard drive. Rookie move

Fuel Injected!
    if you have continously revolving knock counts you either dont have a knock filter/esc module or no knock sensor fitted or wiring issue.timing is probably massivly retarded by the ecu hence the glowing headers

So, I'm determined to get this thing figured out. I changed the pressure down to 21psi, still glowing.

So I took the stock tune, added Brian617's $0E timing tables from the bin he posted, and I changed the flow rating of the injectors from 61 to 83.3, disabled EGR, and left everything else alone...they are barely red now, very hard to see it. That's just cruising around though, with the wet roads I'm not going to try running a load on it, I will try again tomorrow. The ECM is pulling fuel away in the lower rpm ranges, so I may do a longer log and try adjust the tables out and see what happens. But I figured if I can get them to stop glowing while cruising around, that's a start. I am thinking I have it way over fueled. I pulled a few plugs, it's got a slight black ring on the base of the threads but they are still super new. I'll mess with it more tomorrow, bedtime now. Thanks again for everyone's help, I'm learning a lot. I posted the bin and log, if you want to take a look, all input is appreciated, thanks guys.

BLG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Your BLMs are very close and it's not your issue! You could fine tune them all day and never notice a difference.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Could my excessive knock count be coming from my very vocal rocker arms?

http://www.v8s10.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26966

I saw this on another forum and was thinking about what Delcowizzid said. I am using the stock replacement knock sensor.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...208_0404294941

Just a thought. But it should show that on the logs if it is pulling timing correct?

BLG

Any chance you're using an AC/DC converter to power laptop? I had to buy a new battery for my laptop because two different converters were causing errors.
    89 K1500 Scottsdale 5.7L 5spd 3:42 RamJet cam Dart iron TBI heads 427 PCM swap
    95 C2500 Cheyenne 6.5L turbo diesel 4L80e 4:10 DB2-4911 Manual pump conversion 0411 PCM trans control 2Bar COS
    05 Outback XT 2.5L turbo gas auto

Quote Originally Posted by brian617 View Post
    Any chance you're using an AC/DC converter to power laptop? I had to buy a new battery for my laptop because two different converters were causing errors.
    I tired, but it didn't work right, so I did the same thing, bought a new battery.

Overall I like your bin with 25 psi and 61 lb injectors. Yes, it was rich, but that could easily be fixed by increasing the injector constant 5% from 69.3 to 73. This would lean the entire table; cruise and WOT. WOT was a little rich at 940 mV. Increasing the injector constant would also reduce the duty cycle (currently 97% at 5,300 rpm WOT). Make this change along with Brians spark map and go collect a good datalog so you can continue fine tuning the VE table. If you don't pick up any knock counts try the more aggressive table I posted earlier.

Your glowing manifolds have nothing to do with running rich IMO. Closed loop is closed loop and the fuel mixture entering the cylinders is the same as long at the O2 sensor is cross counting. It does not matter if BLM's are 108 or 128. As long as the 02 is cross counting the engine is running stoich.

Super Moderator
    bumping the BPC up should increase fuel delivery.... unless this code works backwards compared to normal?
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Overall I like your bin with 25 psi and 61 lb injectors. Yes, it was rich, but that could easily be fixed by increasing the injector constant 5% from 69.3 to 73. This would lean the entire table; cruise and WOT. WOT was a little rich at 940 mV. Increasing the injector constant would also reduce the duty cycle (currently 97% at 5,300 rpm WOT). Make this change along with Brians spark map and go collect a good datalog so you can continue fine tuning the VE table. If you don't pick up any knock counts try the more aggressive table I posted earlier.

Your glowing manifolds have nothing to do with running rich IMO. Closed loop is closed loop and the fuel mixture entering the cylinders is the same as long at the O2 sensor is cross counting. It does not matter if BLM's are 108 or 128. As long as the 02 is cross counting the engine is running stoich.
    It pulled very good at WOT with all that pressure too, it definitely wasn't going lean. The cold idle was very bad though and it puffed black smoke out the tile pipe until it warmed up. Last night i pulled the top of the motor apart to run the valves, i was hoping to find too much preload but I am very thorough when i put engines together so no such luck, everything was good. I am going to swap out the distributor and see what I can find there.

BLG

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    bumping the BPC up should increase fuel delivery.... unless this code works backwards compared to normal?
    $0D uses injector flow in Lb/Hr, not BPC. If you increase the injector flow in the BIN the ECM reduces pulse width to maintain the same fuel delivery. If you didn't actually install larger injectors this will lean the A/F ratio.