PDA

View Full Version : Whatever!!!!!!!!! Gearhead-EFI Edition

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

1project2many
06-25-2014, 07:25 AM
Ever wonder if a mid-west county bridge rated for 10 tons will hold a fully loaded truck @ 38,000 lbs? The answer is yes, but I needed to go slow and listen to some very scary creaking noises!

lol...

If it was chickens you coulda banged the side of the box first then gone over while they were still flying around in the truck. ;)

jim_in_dorris
06-25-2014, 08:48 AM
No, I can't say that that has crossed my mind, but I do have first hand experience with a 10'6" load on a 10' clearance bridge while hauling haying equipment. OOOPS! The dent in the bridge remained until they tore it down a few years back.

ony
07-03-2014, 09:46 PM
hope everone has a good 4th of july, and don't brake no old bridges down while tunning on the fly. I have seen some fall down in Indiana, to heavy load of corn to heavy log truck.:laugh::laugh:

JeepsAndGuns
07-05-2014, 02:10 AM
SCORE! SCORE! SCORE!
*HAPPY DANCE*

Just picked this up:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/JeepsAndGuns/20140228_135008_zps03fc5c1b.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/JeepsAndGuns/20140228_143742_zps2ea3a457.jpg

Total price $0.00
Asked the right guy at the right time, and he gave it to me. Works perfectly fine! Couldnt read the tank because of paint, but I think its either a 60 or 80 gallon tank. Compressor work perfect. The motor was replaced who knows how many years ago, but works perfectly fine too. Its a dayton 230 volt 5hp single phase motor. When it was installed, it was just bolted down and slotted holes were not made for belt adjustment, also it was bolted down in the wrong spot making the pulley run offset from the compressor. So the belts running at a angle plus not having proper tension made it go through belts quickly. They got tired of it and bought a new compressor. :rolleye:
All I need to do is remove the motor, line it up with the compressor, make some slotted holes, get some belts and its back to working like new. Also the line running from the compressor to the tank got broke when it was removed (might be able to see it in the picture) But thats easy to replace (no damage whatsoever to the tank). Also the line going to the pressure switch got pinched when that line broke, but thats easy and cheap to replace also.

Biggest problem, will be finding somewhere to put it!!!...lol I will probably build a covered steel mesh "house" for it on the outside of my building. Also gotta figure out how to get it home too.

I cant believe I finally got lucky for once! I have been drooling over large tank, belt driven cast iron compressors for years. In fact I was just drooling over them at lowes last weekend. The cheap 33 gallon oil less cfraftman I have now just barely gets me by. A die grinder puts a whooping on it bad. I no longer will have that issue!
I'm just so happy I had to gloat about it a bit...lol :jfj:

Well I have been slowing collecting parts for this over the last few months and working on it here and there. Pulled the compressor and motor off the tank. Removed all the plugs, hung it up by a forklift and steam cleaned a huge pile of gunk out of the bottom of the tank. Changed the oil in the compressor (used genuine IR oil)
Got a new pressure switch, tank check valve, unloader line, drain plug with a ball valve, had to get a new pulley bushing for the motor, a pad to set the tank on, 20ft of 8 guage 3 conductor rubber coated wire to power it, a new regulator and coalescing filter for in the shop, etc....
Ge the tank home last weekend, cleaned the outside and painted it. Took yesterday off work so I could have a couple days to work on it. Got the compressor back on it, built a new line to the tank out of copper line. Set the motor back on there, measured for belts, got some belts at napa, marked holes for the motow with it lined up, drilled and slotted the holes, wired it and gave it a go.
The pulley on the compressor wobbled bad and was trying to throw the belt. WTF. Then it hit me. I remember a few years ago hearing one of the guys say they tipped it over when they removed it. I bet it fell right onto the pulley :mad1:
I pull it off and stick a dial indacator on it. Its off by over .035! :mad1::mad1:
Looks like a new crankshaft is gonna run me around $250!!! Unless I can find a way to straighten this one.
Just my luck. I thought I had finally lucked out, only to find this problem. I have already spent way too much time and money on this thing to stop here and scrap it or part it out.

EagleMark
07-05-2014, 08:06 AM
Pretty good, you removed the spammer link I saw in the email, you also did not post as required in introductions? So why should I not delete this and ban you?

Why force a girl, who is really different then a boy face it! To do things they don't want to? Some have the desire, it's what attracted me to my wife od 28 years. She could wear a short skirt and heels and act like a lady and the next day be helping me swap motors, detail and paint and engine comparment, her father brought her up well, but she waqs still a lady first! Not many like her!

JeepsAndGuns
07-07-2014, 01:57 AM
Well, I found about a foot long peice of thick wall tubing that fit the crank real close. Using my dial indacator, I got the bend pointing up. I then put the pipe on the crank, then put a crow bar in the other end, sat on the end of that, and took a short handled 5lb slege hammer and hit the end of the crank. After lot of banging, measureing with the indacator, I was able to get it down to .003 out. Pretty dang close. I knocked the flywheel/pulley back on it and gave it a go. It still has a very slight wobble, but I think it shouldnt hurt it for the light home duty I will be using it for. Now if I was using it for a shop that would be a different story.
I ran it and found a leak on the outlet reducer busing, had to remove that and reseal. Also found the unloader valve is leaking when its running. Its a brand new switch. So I contacted the seller and they are supposed to be sending a replacement unloader.

dave w
07-07-2014, 02:24 AM
Well, I found about a foot long peice of thick wall tubing that fit the crank real close. Using my dial indacator, I got the bend pointing up. I then put the pipe on the crank, then put a crow bar in the other end, sat on the end of that, and took a short handled 5lb slege hammer and hit the end of the crank. After lot of banging, measureing with the indacator, I was able to get it down to .003 out. Pretty dang close. I knocked the flywheel/pulley back on it and gave it a go. It still has a very slight wobble, but I think it shouldnt hurt it for the light home duty I will be using it for. Now if I was using it for a shop that would be a different story.
I ran it and found a leak on the outlet reducer busing, had to remove that and reseal. Also found the unloader valve is leaking when its running. Its a brand new switch. So I contacted the seller and they are supposed to be sending a replacement unloader.

I've had SBC cranks straightened by machine shops that have crank grinding equipment. Maybe in the near future you can get your compressor crank professionally straightened?

dave w

JeepsAndGuns
07-08-2014, 02:10 AM
I've had SBC cranks straightened by machine shops that have crank grinding equipment. Maybe in the near future you can get your compressor crank professionally straightened?

dave w

I am going to keep a close eye on it. There is no play in the bearings right now. If I feel any start, I will stop, disassemble and check my options. Either try and find a shop to straighten it, or replace. But I am thinking with the light duty I will be using it for, it might not run enough to hurt anything. It spins relatively slow. Using a pulley calculator online, it puts the compressor at about 775 rpm. Owners manual say max of 1000 rpm, min of 400 rpm. Now if it was spinning near max rpm, or I was running it all day every day, it would be a different story.

1project2many
07-08-2014, 03:59 AM
Now if it was spinning near max rpm, or I was running it all day every day, it would be a different story.

If you calculate the amount of energy stored in that flywheel you might just change your mind. A 50#, 14" diameter flywheel rotating at 775 rpm that got loose would accelerate to 32.28 miles per hour and would make contact with an object with over 3 hp at the OD.

EagleMark
07-08-2014, 06:55 AM
You forgot to mention all the damage? :laugh:

1project2many
07-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Like this?

I also didn't mention the 5900 lbs of centrifugal force that comes into play if it breaks when hitting the floor.

Don't f#ck with spinny sh!t.

JeepsAndGuns
07-08-2014, 02:27 PM
Its a hair over 14 inch, but far from 50 lbs. I would say closer to 10-15 lbs if I had to guess. Its lighter than it looks.

1project2many
07-08-2014, 05:01 PM
:)

Still 32 mph but the force values are lower.

JeepsAndGuns
07-09-2014, 02:47 AM
I am going to keep checking around. Local shop says they dont straighten cranks.
I have a parts catalog, owners manual and some other data I got from ingersoll rand. I emailed them the serial number and they told me it was built in aug of 97 and emailed the books in pdf format. It lists the crankshaft for the model 242 as 32146052. The only place I found that listed a crank with that factory part number was $250. I found another place that listed a crank for a IR model 242 for $165, I could handle that, but the part number was different.
$250 but correct part number:
http://www.ecompressedair.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=32146052&manufacturer=Ingersoll Rand

$165, but different part number (but says type 30 model 242, which is what this thing is):
http://www.compressorpartsstore.com/product-p/crankshaft_242.htm

1project2many
07-09-2014, 04:34 AM
I think you were on the right track with straightening. It's bang n check, over and over, with forged cranks. So keep working it.

JeepsAndGuns
07-10-2014, 01:36 AM
Well I found another local shop that says they straighten cranks. So I may just go ahead and pull it apart and let them take a stab at it.
Every time I hit it I cringed with the fear of cracking the case or something. So out of fear, I think I will pull it.

dave w
07-10-2014, 08:17 AM
With custom rides / custom power trains comes unexpected headaches / nightmares. Grounding the TAC module ... it's a good thing to do!:thumbsup:

dave w

Six_Shooter
07-10-2014, 10:07 AM
Uh oh... What's this?

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/attachment.php?attachmentid=7460&d=1404975977

1project2many
07-10-2014, 01:54 PM
Haha... one pipe short of the right engine swap! ;)

Looks good. Lotsa welding and checking to come, eh? Wish I had time to fabricate anything right now. :(

steveo
07-11-2014, 06:05 AM
that truck is my dream. ls. boost. room to work on it. dont need a jack to do an oil change. i'll take one!

dont know why im screwing around with f-bodies still, i guess its a compulsion, some kind of sickness. im on like f-body number 12 now.

JeepsAndGuns
07-11-2014, 02:35 PM
With custom rides / custom power trains comes unexpected headaches / nightmares. Grounding the TAC module ... it's a good thing to do!:thumbsup:

dave w

While I respect the time, money, skill, and hard work put into building that truck. I still have to cringe a little every time I see a ford with a chevy engine or vice versa. I am not a ford or chevy purist by any means, and the vehicles owner is free to do whatever they want to their vehicles (me included). I have just never understood the cross brand engine swaps. I would like the truck a lot more if they had went with like a turbo or supercharged mustang engine.

Six_Shooter
07-11-2014, 03:08 PM
While I respect the time, money, skill, and hard work put into building that truck. I still have to cringe a little every time I see a ford with a chevy engine or vice versa. I am not a ford or chevy purist by any means, and the vehicles owner is free to do whatever they want to their vehicles (me included). I have just never understood the cross brand engine swaps. I would like the truck a lot more if they had went with like a turbo or supercharged mustang engine.

For me, it's not because it's a GM in a Ford, it's because it's another damn LSx...

I think there may now actually be more vehicle with LSx in them than what GM made with LSx engines. Overpriced POS' that people are brainwashed to think are the best thing since the wheel. :facepalm:

Very clean swap though, and that is something that seems to be difficult on an LSx, it seems, since I see so many that are just thrown into cars and look terrible.

dave w
07-11-2014, 03:29 PM
I would like the truck a lot more if they had went with like a turbo or supercharged mustang engine. In general, cost and technical support are major considerations in any project. I have to wonder, "what if" Ford, Dodge, and Toyota engines / transmissions were available for about the same price point as the LSx engine / transmissions combinations and supported by EFI Live and other similar software suppliers?

dave w

RobertISaar
07-11-2014, 04:30 PM
Overpriced POS' that people are brainwashed to think are the best thing since the wheel. :facepalm:

that sums up my feelings on at least one engine that is oh so popular to swap in the FWD world. luckily, they tend to thin their own herd with neverending BBQs.

1project2many
07-11-2014, 06:04 PM
In general, cost and technical support are major considerations in any project. I have to wonder, "what if" Ford, Dodge, and Toyota engines / transmissions were available for about the same price point as the LSx engine / transmissions combinations and supported by EFI Live and other similar software suppliers?

Which is why the SBC swap was also extremely popular. Building a 350 was at least half as much as almost any other brand, and you could mix and match parts from a gazillion years and models to make a drivetrain.

I have just never understood the cross brand engine swaps. I would like the truck a lot more if they had went with like a turbo or supercharged mustang engine.
I used to feel that way but really, is there anything on a new engine that resembles that truck? If you have to weld in mounts, change pulleys and brackets, adapt power steering hoses and cooler lines, does it matter what brand you're adapting from? Or think of it this way... the Chevy LSx engine in the ford isn't as cool, but what abut a Falconer? Or a 4-71? If those engines are cool, then the "not as cool" comes from somewhere else... "Oh, yeah, another LSx Swap"

BTW, I do very much like how clean the Ford is and it looks like a well executed vehicle all around. Somehow, though, as I get older it seems like an engine compartment should look full. It's probably because I work on vehicles daily where there isn't an extra cubic inch of space around the engine but even my '57 looks empty when I open the hood.

http://www.corvettereport.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Falconer12cylinder.jpg

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Tl6SG_fW-h4/0.jpg

RobertISaar
07-11-2014, 06:22 PM
i always thought it was hilarious when the hood of my father's 70 monte carlo was open..... if there were ever a GM car that could have justified more than 8 cylinders, that was it.

1project2many
07-11-2014, 06:58 PM
Funny that you mention that car. I had a friend with one and used to dream of building a twin 231 turbo powerplant for it.

RobertISaar
07-11-2014, 07:07 PM
i imagine the veyron W16 would still have vast amounts of empty space under the hood.

two six cylinders? could probably still be done with relative ease.

JeepsAndGuns
07-12-2014, 02:00 AM
I have always kinda been the type that prefers to use or build the original engine, or a engine of the same brand. But if you are going to do a swap, do something original. I once saw pics of a old 70's challenger with a viper V10 swapped in. I thought that was really cool, original idea and still keeping it within the brand.
My wrangler will forever have the 4.0 straight six. I plan on stroking it, maybe even turbo it. But it will still be the original engine. My cherokee is the only thing I have that there is a tiny chance I might do a engine swap on. If I ever do decide to do it, it would be a cadillac 500. I actually have one (needs rebuilt) in storage just incase I do decide to do it. But for now I am sticking with original AMC power. I rebuilt the 401 several years ago. Put on some ported/polished/shaved heads a few years after that. And most recently did the MPFI and installed some headers.
I like the idea of the cadillac 500 because its not something you see every day. They can be built for some good power and there is no replacement for displacement.
The falconer in the vette you posted above is a cool swap. Mainly because its a V12 thats basicly still a chevy engine and the vette is a chevy.
The 4-71 swap is cool just because its original, not to mention the cool factor of a 2 stroke diesel.

dave w
07-16-2014, 05:10 PM
Maybe I should post these pics in the Product Information area? Littlefuse weather proof mini fuse block PDM31001ZXM. Available at Mouser http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=PDM31001ZXMvirtualkey57610000 virtualkey576-PDM31001ZXM (about $22.00).

dave w

Six_Shooter
07-24-2014, 08:22 AM
*sigh*

So since this week is my "holidays" I had decided on performing the engine swap on my car this week, since it would have given me 9 days with an open hoist, but it's 5 days in and I haven't even put my car on the hoist yet.

A few reasons why:

The current engine's alternator (GM CS130) decided to keep the regulator powered up and drain my battery overnight on Sunday night to Monday morning. Uhg. It took my about 20 minutes to find this, after charging the battery. I recalled that I had the same style alternator with a different front cover, that I had on my Jimmy about 12+ years ago, so I decided to swap the front covers and try it. No joy. *facepalm* A friedn loaned me his spare, swapped front covers again, and again no joy. *facepalm* This takes us into mid Tuesday by this point. I had the loaned alternator tested at a local Parts Source, and the voltage output was low, just like I measured on the car, but it seemed to me that it was battery voltage, not just a low charge voltage from the alternator. So I buy a used alternator for my friend's car, since it may have been me that caused the issue, but I'm not totally sure I did. Regardless I felt it was only right to do so. I MAY try installing this tomorrow, since it seems that I won't be doing the swap any time soon.

I had planned to retain the transmission that is currently in the car, a FS5W71B, to keep the overall swap to just engine work. I laid out an adapter weeks ago, but was only able to cut it out last week. I had some measurements of clutch depth and other pertinent dimensions from both engines for a while and thought I had calculated things correctly, but when I placed the adapter plate on the engine on Sunday I noticed something looked wrong. The flywheel didn't look to be far enough into the bellhousing. Remeasured things and I was correct, I messed up on the measurements, by 25.4mm, those that are astute, mayt notice this is 1", the same width as a ruler I was using to measure the clutch surface to block of a friend's engine, that I subtracted twice from the overall measurement. *d'oh*

Alright, recalculate and see what I need. I could have stacked up a flexplate and (2.2 S10) flywheel, along with a custom spacer between the two, to get the depth I need, but I am not comfortable with that much weight hanging that far off the end of the crank. Then I remembered the 2.8/3.1/3.4 in the F-bodies uses a thicker flywheel. Searched for and found some measurements and it looked very promising. Initial guestimate of the flywheel thickness places the clutch depth at the perfect distance. Since it was Sunday, I couldn't get my hands on one that day, so I waited until Monday to hit up my local wreckers. They didn't have one in stock, and there was one in Ontario, and it was still in the car when we called. *facepalm* Well, I had it ordered anyway, since it was so promising.

Today I received the flywheel. It's 2mm thicker than my guestimate, still workable though. It was also larger in diameter, but I knew this before ordering it, and I found info that a 14mm spacer between the starter and the block would be the correct distance to offset for the larger flywheel. I wasn't worried about this. So I mounted the flywheel to the engine, the adapter plate and then decided to hold up a front case/bellhousing of the trans I planned to use to the engine, but it wouldn't sit flat against the adapter plate. The flywheel is too large to fit inside the bellhousing. *d'oh* :facepalm:

So now what do I do?

I could have built a new bellhousing, that I was all for earlier this week, but when faced with that solution now, it just didn't seem worth it, especially since the trans is questionable on whether it will actually hold the power I plan to make right off the get go. So I decided I didn't really want to go that route, unless absolutely necessary.

So I explored another optiuon, using a different trans, the one that I planned to use in the end, when I will be making even more power, a FS5R30A. For those that are not up on their Nissan transmission models, this is a trans that was used from the late '80s to at least the '00s, in many RWD vehicles, and 4x4 trucks and SUVs. My particular trans is from a 1992 300ZX TT. Measurements look good, for flywheel fitment, the input shaft actually looks just like the one that is in my current trans, and it even uses the same spline for the clutch, so I can use my existing clutch! :woot: The clutch fork even looks identical, and the throwout bearing sleeve is the same size, so I should be able to use my existing throwout bearing as well!

I do need to make a custom driveshaft, and I need to figure out what to do about the shifter, since the stock 300ZX shifter will not work, it's too far back, I also don't have one, the Pathfinder location is too far forward, and I think that will remain true even after pushing the drivetrain as far back in the chassis as I can. I am hoping that I can make a custom shifter that will place it just right.

So I started laying out a new adapter plate tonight, and will hopefully have it finalized and cut out tomorrow. I may then actually pull the car apart on Friday, and at least get mounts made, and all prepped. I can then throw the original drivetrain back in, if I need to, while I sort out some of the other details.

1project2many
07-24-2014, 02:51 PM
Sorry to hear you've had such bad luck.

Are you obligated / committed to the Nissan trans? If that was a GM 60 deg V6 you're swapping then there's a bellhousing to allow Aisin trans to bolt up. You probably know some of the 80's Jeeps came with a 2.8 and there are some fairly strong Aisin trans (i.e. Supra Turbo) that have nice gear ratio spread.

Six_Shooter
07-24-2014, 05:16 PM
Meh, it's all part of hot rodding.

Yeah, there are a couple other transmissions that I could bolt up, but from what I've seen they won't be able to handle the power I plan to make in the end. Not sure this one will either, but it sounds the most promising. It'll work out in the end.

Six_Shooter
07-25-2014, 03:21 AM
So today as I was drilling holes in the new adapter, the drill press decides to not like the drive belt and slipped when ever a load was applied. *arg* *wallbang*

Six_Shooter
07-26-2014, 06:16 AM
Progress. I have improved the adapter plate since these pictures were taken earlier, but I don't seem to have those pictures.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/attachment.php?attachmentid=7551&d=1406344512

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/attachment.php?attachmentid=7552&d=1406344512

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/attachment.php?attachmentid=7553&d=1406344512

RobertISaar
07-26-2014, 06:38 AM
i like the direction those headers are going!

Six_Shooter
07-26-2014, 06:48 AM
Yeah, once I get the V-drive hooked up, the prop should be pretty easy after that, then the headers can exit out the hull...

EagleMark
07-26-2014, 06:57 AM
and I thought they were for a turbo.. :yikes:

Six_Shooter
07-26-2014, 07:01 AM

ony
07-26-2014, 10:13 PM
hi was surfing the internet looking for a sour dough recipe, all the sudden had a pop up[your pc has a adware your anti viruse cannot detect it, call 1 855 412 1786 to correct the problem] . traced the number with white pages pittsburg #,any way running windows 7 . went to program features found 2 programs that I didn't know was there. weebsaver an iobit safe surfer. removed both of them fixed the problem,it was proble the weebsaver. thought I would post this it had to be down loaded when I was opening some of them web sights.

jim_in_dorris
07-26-2014, 11:48 PM
hi was surfing the internet looking for a sour dough recipe, all the sudden had a pop up[your pc has a adware your anti viruse cannot detect it, call 1 855 412 1786 to correct the problem] . traced the number with white pages pittsburg #,any way running windows 7 . went to program features found 2 programs that I didn't know was there. weebsaver an iobit safe surfer. removed both of them fixed the problem,it was proble the weebsaver. thought I would post this it had to be down loaded when I was opening some of them web sights.

Ony do yourself a favor, go to www.malwarebytes.org (http://www.malwarebytes.org), and download the FREE malwarebytes tool and run it on your computer. You will not be sorry, it is the #1 rated malware removal tool in the industry today.

ony
07-27-2014, 12:27 AM
I down loaded it and it found 1 must have been a sleeping one and 35 active ones,i put them into qarrintine .

JeepsAndGuns
07-27-2014, 02:47 PM
You know the old saying "the camera adds 10 lbs" Well I guess in the case of vehicles, it must take off 10 years.
Been looking for a XJ cherokee for my girlfriend. Nothing too fancy, just something to get her back and forth to work. There has been pretty slim pickings around here and I was looking at some ZJ grand cherokees too. It doesnt have to be 4wd, but it must have the 4.0 (no V8) I really would prefer a XJ, but might concider a ZJ if the price was right and it was decent enough.
So I found one that from the pictures on craigslist looked pretty decent, price was right, 4.0, auto, 2wd, guy talks it up pretty good. But it was about 1.5 hours away.
So I decide to go look at it yesterday afternoon. Long ass drive, gps didnt have the exact house number, got lost and a few miles down the wrong road but finally found him. OMG what a peice of junk! Interior was musty nasty smelling, dirty nasty stained carpet, rear axle sounded like it was about to fall out of it going through a parking lot, engine almost stalls when coming to a stop, pulls to the left when braking, etc...
I was so mad. Told him I have been looking at a few, and had a few more to look at before I decided which one I wanted. What a complete waste of a trip and my valuable saturday afternoon. ugh.. :mad1:

JeepsAndGuns
07-29-2014, 02:18 AM
So after that mess saturday, I was checking craigslist again sunday morning, and there it was, the perfect jeep. It matched every detail of what I was looking for. 94 cherokee sport, great body, clean interior, low miles, auto, 4.0 engine. It had high quality pics and it looked great! I thought I had found my saving grace from that bad deal the day before. I call the guy up, hes the 2nd owner, everything works, been regularly serviced, etc.. Awesome! Price was right too. This was at 10am. I tell him I had to wait for my girlfriend to get home from work, eat some lunch and I would head his way to meet him. I told him it would be about 1:30-2:00. He says great, no problem, we set up a place and I say I will call when I am ready to head out. So about 1:45 we are ready to go. I call the guy and it goes straight to voicemail. OK, he might have went somewhere out of signal or something. I try back at 2, same thing. So I thought maybe his phone battery died and he just didnt notice. I decide to show my GF the ad so she can see the pics of it. Ad is gone! WTF. I knew right then what happened. The SOB sold it out from under me, after agreeing on a time and place to meet! I tried about once a hour till about 5 to get back in touch with him with no luck, just incase I was wrong. I call him this morning and get him, sure enough he sold it. I asked him about us agreeing on a time and place to meet and he said someone else came sooner and bought it, first come first serve.
This pisses me off SO MUCH! If he had told me that (first come first serve) I would have just went right then and not waited for my GF to get off from work. Reason I wanted to wait for her, was so if I bought it, I could drive it back and not have to make two trips (he was about a hour away). I had the cash in hand and it ran and drove as good as he said, I would have bought it.
I will never find one in that year range, with that low of mileage and in that good of shape ever again. :mad1::mad1:
It has to be 91-95. Older than 91 and it has either a carb engine, or the crappy fuel injection on the 4.0 (renix). No newer than 95 because I would like to stay with obd1. Plus, lots of the late model 4.0's had problem with cracked piston skirts and cracked heads. It has to be auto cause she is not good with a manual (trying to teach her, but its slow going) It does not have to be 4x4, 2wd is fine, all it is for is getting back and forth to work and aroud town. It doesnt have to be perfect, but I am not buying a clapped out hunk of junk. I want it to be atleast pretty decent.
I am not completely aganst another grand cherokee, but lots of them have a V8 and I really dont want that. Plus the 4.0 models have the crappy 42RE trans (where the cherokees have the much better AW4) But the grands seem to be either all clapped out and trashed, or still super nice and out of our price range.
This is a loosing battle.

EagleMark
07-29-2014, 07:02 AM
I've found if you see a deal on CL? You run.... no plans.... just run....

Sold my Evinrude motor yesterday, first person that called and first person to call on ad on first day! Stayed with the asking price as the phone was ringing while he was here, I just took numbers to call back if still available! He took it at asking price! :jfj:

Six_Shooter
07-29-2014, 07:04 AM
Yep, as someone who has lost out on selling something because I was being nice and kept with an appointment, I now sell EVERYTHING as first come first served, no exceptions.

EagleMark
07-29-2014, 07:27 AM
No such thing as Mr Nice Guy anymore when it comes to selling or buying. No need to be rude either, but times have changed...

1project2many
07-29-2014, 02:39 PM
This pisses me off SO MUCH! If he had told me that (first come first serve) I would have just went right then and not waited for my GF to get off from work. Reason I wanted to wait for her, was so if I bought it, I could drive it back and not have to make two trips (he was about a hour away). I had the cash in hand and it ran and drove as good as he said, I would have bought it.

Try looking for a TDI in the 99 - 2003 range. That's a high demand vehicle and they really hold their value. I set up one appointment with a seller which involved scheduling up an entire holiday weekend around viewing the car on Monday. I called 1/2 hour before the appointment, as agreed, and was told "Oh. I went to NY." ??? Must not want to sell. I had $5300 between cash and money orders in my pocket ready to spend. No use crying, but seemed exceptionally rude.

The car I ended up buying was slightly different. It was 3 hrs away and the seller had received several calls and many emails. But plenty of no-shows. We talked, I said I was excited about the car, sounded like what I wanted, but no way I could get there for several days. I told him that unless car had any big surprises, I was prepared to buy for asking price. Seller had someone coming that night so I politely said "I realize there's no way I can prove that I'll come down, and it's unreasonable to ask you to hold it without a deposit, but I'd love a chance at it if the potential buyer backs out." Next day he said car was still available. He held it until Saturday and I went down and bought it. It's funny to think of, but I had to sell myself as the right buyer in order to spend $$ on his car.

And actually, that's a skill I've learned over the years. Try showing up at a house and asking to buy the old car or truck sitting outside. It's unregistered, rusted, hasn't moved in years. But it's not for sale. "That was grampy's/husband's/brother's/dad's truck, not for sale, sentimental value, etc." Takes patience and politeness and sometimes, multiple visits to get a vehicle like that. You've gotta "sell" the seller on the sale!

JeepsAndGuns
08-01-2014, 02:02 AM
So is kelley blue book values worthless? Or does everyone think everything is worth gold?
So I have seen a few other jeeps on craigslist. They look pretty clean and decent mileage. I look them up on kelley blue book and it always values them at about $500-1000 less than what people are asking for them. I have looked up 3 or 4 now like this. The owners are pretty firm on their prices. One guy for example had it listed at $3500. KBB puts it at $2500. I call and talk to him a bit about it. Good quality pics and it looks clean and has decent miles (140k) I ask about the price and make a offer of 2500 stating the kbb value, but the most he will come down to is 3000. If it was 4wd it might be woth that, but its only 2wd. I just cant see myself paying 3000 for a vehicle thats only worth 2500. Not to mention 2500 is my current budget.

RobertISaar
08-01-2014, 02:22 AM
most of the people that have cracked out prices tend to be going off of NADA pricing, which is crazy at times.

sherlock9c1
08-01-2014, 05:06 AM
My dad always says "What's something worth? What someone will pay for it."

NADA: By dealers, FOR dealers. As my dealer friend said when I asked about NADA: "So you're going to let a group of CAR DEALERS tell you what you should pay?"

Edmunds is the most realistic IMHO. But no seller wants to hear those numbers. Use them as a bargaining chip.

When people think their stuff is worth a mint, you politely explain your offer, explain why you are the best buyer for their car, leave the offer and your phone number, then you leave, and wait. They will call you. Or you call/text them every two weeks. They will come down. Been there done that. Took awhile. The last three vehicles I bought took me an average of 45 days to negotiate a price, but I ended up with much better than average vehicles at slightly higher than average prices.

Finally, be aware of tax return season. Car prices go nuts during those times; avoid those times if you can, particularly if you're buying in the sub-$5k range.

1project2many
08-01-2014, 05:11 PM
Jeep prices are stupid. Period.

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/4588468930.html
$3750?? Not emissions compliant, not original, not able to pass inspection, not rust free, and almost 20 yrs old.

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4580412663.html
$10k???? WTF????
Here's what $10k should buy...
http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4586730171.html
Or this:
http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4574827514.html
Or even this:
http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4563037285.html

I don't understand why people want a Jeep badly enough that they'll pay $500 - $700 for "nearly rust-free" tubs but that's the market.

OTOH, try selling parts for a Cavalier, or an '80s Mercedes, or a first gen S10. I've got some stuff here I can't hardly give away.
So if you want to put your g/f into a Cavalier on an S10 frame with an OM617 diesel swap, I can supply some parts to help!
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgvcgh_qkjsM-QMifFCG1pPwrpTzDzAqgqkGY3lqnmzYKkdSy6:laugh:

JeepsAndGuns
08-02-2014, 02:20 AM
That old ford looks pretty nice. I prefer the 78-79 body style myself. My dad had a 78 F250 when I was growing up. Lots of good memories in that truck.
The M175 is nice but its missing the front bumper, brushguard, and those front fenders are not original M715 fenders, they are off a cherokee widetrack or a J10.
The duce and a half is sweet. I have always wanted one, but would never have a use for it or anywhere to park it.

1project2many
08-02-2014, 04:19 PM
It's not just the Jeep market. Ever see Training Day? Denzel Washington plays a bad cop that drives a lowered 79 Monte in LA.
http://pics.imcdb.org/0is440/trainingdaymontecarlo9dx0.9499.jpg

http://pics.imcdb.org/0is147/chevroletmontecarlotrainingday.4725.jpg

I've got a black '79 I built long before that movie came out. It doesn't look like the movie car and I know it. It's got '70s Rally wheels and T-tops and it had the proper stance for an '80s build, not this ridiculous thing today of making cars look like horse drawn wagons. But it's rusty and needs to be replaced. Try buying a '79 Monte now for a reasonable price, though. Every car is worth big money. Every car is like Training Day.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/4577055557.html
Wrong nose, wrong paint, and obnoxiously wrong wheels.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/4590973907.html
Again, wrong grille. And needs a ton of work. But it's got a black door, so it's kinda close, right?

https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/4567831915.html
The amount of money & work you'd need to invest in making that a nice car is not small. $2500 should buy more than that imo. At least its the correct year. One guy is selling an '85 "just like training day" and it's not even the same body style. Jeez... what a way to ruin the market for a perfectly good car.

Anyway, good luck with the hunt. I need to spend the day replacing exhaust on the Suburban.

delcowizzid
08-04-2014, 03:56 PM
got my hands on an ls1 powered test car today.flashed my first real tune in today got some pretty decient gains over stock might have to spend some coin for some dyno time i think

Six_Shooter
08-04-2014, 04:22 PM
Sweet.

JeepsAndGuns
08-06-2014, 02:17 AM
So after that mess saturday, I was checking craigslist again sunday morning, and there it was, the perfect jeep. It matched every detail of what I was looking for. 94 cherokee sport, great body, clean interior, low miles, auto, 4.0 engine. It had high quality pics and it looked great! I thought I had found my saving grace from that bad deal the day before. I call the guy up, hes the 2nd owner, everything works, been regularly serviced, etc.. Awesome! Price was right too. This was at 10am. I tell him I had to wait for my girlfriend to get home from work, eat some lunch and I would head his way to meet him. I told him it would be about 1:30-2:00. He says great, no problem, we set up a place and I say I will call when I am ready to head out. So about 1:45 we are ready to go. I call the guy and it goes straight to voicemail. OK, he might have went somewhere out of signal or something. I try back at 2, same thing. So I thought maybe his phone battery died and he just didnt notice. I decide to show my GF the ad so she can see the pics of it. Ad is gone! WTF. I knew right then what happened. The SOB sold it out from under me, after agreeing on a time and place to meet! I tried about once a hour till about 5 to get back in touch with him with no luck, just incase I was wrong. I call him this morning and get him, sure enough he sold it. I asked him about us agreeing on a time and place to meet and he said someone else came sooner and bought it, first come first serve.
I will never find one in that year range, with that low of mileage and in that good of shape ever again. :mad1::mad1:

So last night around 7pm, I am checking craigslist for anything new and I see a ad for a 94 cherokee posted 12 hours ago. So I click on it and guess what I see. The exact same ad for the above jeep! WTF. Same pictures, same discription, same phone number (checked my phone) So now I am like WTH is going on here. So I call him up and ask about the jeep. I told him who I was and how we had agreed to meet that one day and he sold it. He says the guys check bounced so its back up for sale. (I'm thinking SWEET) Well because of the distance, we agree its too late to come right then, it was about to be dark and we didnt want to be out that late. I ask because of last time, is he willing to give me a fair chance to come see it and wait for me, holding it untill I get a chance to look at it this time. He says yes, he will hold it for me untill I can come see it. I tell him I get off work at 5 and can leave straight from there. He says thats fine, sounds good. I told him I had cash in hand, no checks from me, he said good, no more checks. I'm thinnking great, I have my second chance! So this morning I ask my boss if I can leave a hour early and he says thats fine. Awesome. So I call the guy back, tell him I can be there a hour sooner, he says perfect, he gets off work at like 4:30 so I should be getting there about the same time he gets home and that will work out even better, gives me his address and directions to get there. He calls back 5 seconds later and says he turned down a guy last night because all he had was 2400. I said thats fine, I have 2500 cash on me right now. He says ok, sounds good.
4:00 rolls around, I clock out and I call to tell him I am on my way. He says hold up and wait about 20 min, there is a guy coming right now to look at it and he doesnt want me to waste a trip. He says "this guy has been bugging me all day and I told him I was meeting you at 4:30 and he says he can be there at 4:15, so I will call you if he doesnt buy it and you can come on" I mention our agreement and he says just be fair and wait on this guy "that he has called as many times as you".
So now I'm pissed. I say ok and hang up. I just go on home. No word by 4:40, I call, no answer. He calls back about 5 min later and says hes sorry but the guy bought it. I am really pissed. I ask about the agreement to meet and and told him how this is now the 2nd time he has done this to me. He says "oh, your that guy?" I said yes! He then goes on about the first come first serve crap again and this guy beat me to it and hes sorry. I am so mad I cant even talk. I just say whatever and goodbye.
I am so mad right now :mad1: :mad1: :mad1:

34blazer
08-06-2014, 05:05 AM
That really sucks! I've gone through life learning it the difficult way, and the most grief is caused by trusting someone more than once. So now I try to live my life by the old saying.... "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."

On the bright side, at least you didn't get boned out of a down payment.

JeepsAndGuns
08-06-2014, 02:26 PM
"Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."

That exact same quote came into my mind after this cluster F. I should have known better, but the guy promised me he would hold it till I got a chance to look at it this time. Also, I cant and cant afford to just take off a day from work with no notice. SO I had no choice but to wait untill I got off work.
I hope karma comes back and bites him hard in the butt.

1project2many
08-06-2014, 02:43 PM
The right deal will come along. IME if you fight and fight for something like this, you'll end up unhappy even if you get it.

sherlock9c1
08-06-2014, 04:52 PM
So give me your advice on this: You list some heavy or bulky stuff on CL. You don't want to have to pack it or ship it because nobody seems to want to pay for that. Somebody hits you up and asks you for a price shipped to zip ABCXY. Do you actually bother to run the numbers or just post your zip, the weight and the dimensions and let them do the homework?

steveo
08-06-2014, 04:59 PM
type it into some postal service or courier website for a rough estimate, then mark it up slightly to cover your time to ship it.

RobertISaar
08-06-2014, 05:46 PM
if you know the weight and dimensions already, it only takes ~5 minutes for a USPS quote.

1project2many
08-06-2014, 06:38 PM
If you tell them to get the quote, how do you know they won't short the weight or dimensions slightly so you end up covering some of the postage?

sherlock9c1
08-06-2014, 06:59 PM
All of what you guys said is true... but it's when you get 10 different people asking for "price shipped to XYZ" - then you're looking at a half hour spent with no guarantee of a sale.

Case in point - I put a heavy HF tool on CL, used 4 times, 50% off sale price. Had a couple of hits. Some guy almost 2 hours away emails and says he wants it. Says he won't come to get it but he'll meet me halfway. It is not worth my time to drive to this guy so I suggested shipping it. Well with the weight, it's another 25% of the sale price, so OF COURSE what's he say? "Well, for that price I might as well buy it new." Duh.

If somebody actually paypals me, THEN I'll doublecheck the shipping weight and make sure they didn't short me. But before then, no way.

I'm also at the point where if somebody on a forum calls dibs, I need payment in full immediately via paypal and THEN we can figure out shipping. They don't lose any money paying paypal twice. If the shipping turns out to be a dud, I can refund their money instantly. Some people are balking at this, but if I've got the same item listed locally on CL, no way am I holding something for somebody when cold hard cash is on its way.

BTW to JeepsAndGuns - if you see a good deal on CL, you need to drop everything and go immediately with cash, GF or no. Your other option is what I did for long-distance CL items - wait for something nice but overpriced and then work them down to a reasonable price after it doesn't sell for 3 weeks. You have to be patient, but it works.

steveo
08-06-2014, 07:03 PM
just generalize it then. figure out what it takes to postal service a heavy-ish package then a light-ish package halfway across the country. take that *1.75. quote that for shipping on everything. if they're willing to pay, then profit!

steveo
08-10-2014, 04:34 AM
some teenage girl ran an uncontrolled intersection yesterday in the oncoming lane, and wadded my camaro... hard.

her plastic japanese car folded like paper, the door on the oppisite side where she hit me wouldn't even open afterwards.

due to the sheer weight of my overweight steel boat, i walked away unscathed, and at the time, it looked alright, figured it for a hammer and bondo job, so i got some insurance info and drove off like nothing happened.

unfortunately it was bent so badly under the hood that when i popped it in reverse, the serpentine belt hit a bolt on the steering shaft or something and ripped it apart.

so she's done for

guess that ends my investment in $4D tuning

sherlock9c1
08-10-2014, 05:25 AM
Anything particularly special about that Camaro?

steveo
08-10-2014, 07:25 AM
every fbody i've ever owned is special, but this was just a cool beater that i bought to learn more about tbi.

which i did.

so it accomplished its goal.

that's all that made it special i guess

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2928/14543613252_7cd88d396c_n.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/oaaPwC)goldstream (https://flic.kr/p/oaaPwC) by rfesu (https://www.flickr.com/people/93395252@N05/), on Flickr

jim_in_dorris
08-10-2014, 09:56 AM
That is a serious bummer

JeepsAndGuns
08-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Man I hate to hear that. Sorry about losing your car.

ony
08-10-2014, 04:09 PM
if you are interested in older cars, there is a article on yahoo this morning about an old chevy dealership in Nebraska that is going to have a auction in September.

1project2many
08-11-2014, 01:43 PM
If its Lambrecht Chevrolet then someone made a mistake. That auction was last september.

ony
08-11-2014, 02:51 PM
I think the name was bullard or bullud ,I went back and looked again and as usally the article was gone.

skandolis
08-11-2014, 03:48 PM
I saw that yesterday, here it is

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/barn-200-vintage-cars-old-chevy-dealer-auction-190039996.html;_ylt=A0SO8y5ou.hTvnQAFelXNyoA;_ylu= X3oDMTEzN2dhdjloBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNARjb2xvA2dxMQR2dG lkA1ZJUDQ0N18x

ony
08-11-2014, 06:37 PM
that's it,even if you wasn't interesred in a car might find some hard to find parts.

JeepsAndGuns
08-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Just saw that robin williams passed away. So sad. Rest in peace.

1project2many
08-12-2014, 02:57 PM
Yeah. Kind of a hero of mine.

sherlock9c1
08-12-2014, 03:10 PM
Along with mental illness, depression is one of those things that Americans don't seem to want to talk about. The worst thing when you are depressed is to be alone. It's much more common than one might think.

My condolences go out to his family.

ony
08-12-2014, 07:21 PM
robin was a good intertaner, you never know what type of things are troubling another human being.

jim_in_dorris
08-13-2014, 06:13 AM
What a week!!!

It started Sat. when my son and I pulled the pump out of the well for the 3rd time (1st time, old pump died, 2nd time because the well wasn't as deep as I thought) because we are out of water. The well has silted in to the point that it can't recover very fast. While we were pulling it, my son got something in his eye. He just thought it was some dust and didn't think anything about it. Fast forward to yesterday when he had trouble driving home because of blurred vision and pain. (yes we tried to get him to go to dr Mon Morn. So this morning I took him to immediate care where they discovered he had a piece of metal embedded in his eye right next to his pupil. No wonder it hurt. They couldn't get it out and he ended up at an ophthalmologist to get it removed. We took my truck so my wife could go to work at her regular time. I had to run over to the school for a quick meeting and she wasn't there, so I called. Her Blazer had a dead battery. Then she tried my son's 4-runner. It had a dead battery. It's a manual so she tried to bump start it by rolling down the driveway. That didn't work. Next she finds the battery charger and decides to charge the battery in her Blazer. The hood won't open. I'm glad I wasn't home, because the air around here was blue flames. When we got home my son got his 4-runner started and I managed to get the Blazer hood open and jump started the Blazer so other than my son's sore eye, things are sort of back to normal around here, but I could use a little less excitement.

steveo
08-14-2014, 05:00 AM
run a hone through it... it'll be ok.

jim_in_dorris
08-14-2014, 09:50 AM
LOL! that reminded me of my 55 chevy PU. I broke down in SF on the way to LA and my dad had to come and get the truck while I continued on to school. He grumbled about there being nothing wrong with the truck, it was all in my head, etc. Well, he ended up having to have it towed. The next vacation I had, we pulled the pan off and there was a piston in the pan. We just ran a hone through it and stuck a new piston in it and I drove it for another 2 years before selling it (stupid move on my part).

1project2many
08-15-2014, 07:58 PM
Trying to find an old article. Really old. It was a novelty article, written like a product review, in Car Craft or Hot Rod or...? The author keeps putting one manufacturer's miracle part after another miracle part into his car, fully expecting them to be worthless but each time being surprised by better power and performance, until he achieves some crazy numbers. He decides to install one last part which ultimately melts the engine down and ruins the car. When he reads the fine print on the packaging, it says that one part is not compatible with any other parts by the same company and they won't cover any damage it causes. Anyone remember this? Anyone?

In trade for this valuable information which will be used to put a nagging memory to rest, I offer the following:
Say Bye to Neon (http://www.ag.auburn.edu/users/parmega/articles/neon/)

steveo
08-26-2014, 06:05 AM
well here i am, back in the lt1 game again. collision insurance payed me enough for my roachy tbi 3rd gen that i could buy this and have cash to spare. i almost can't believe it.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5562/15038658615_0304a82fa0_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/oUV4gv)newcar (https://flic.kr/p/oUV4gv) by solaris304 (https://www.flickr.com/people/92701413@N05/), on Flickr

sherlock9c1
08-26-2014, 06:14 AM
Lovely! Those rims really work nicely on that car too.

steveo
08-26-2014, 06:20 AM
it came with some really classy 5 spoke chrome rims with fried tires too.

JeepsAndGuns
08-26-2014, 02:18 PM
Glad it worked out for you. Good luck with the new car!

delcowizzid
08-26-2014, 08:28 PM
little diy in the shed project building a flowbench into that cabinet powered by an aussie delco MAF ecu for measuring depression valve lift and airflow.allready had air flowing through a head and just finished wiring the ecu first measurement test tomorrow .
http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab81/delcowizzid/flowbench/DSC_0044_zpsaef9d108.jpg
http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab81/delcowizzid/flowbench/DSC_0050_zps7eadcb03.jpg
http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab81/delcowizzid/flowbench/DSC_0049_zps7b3eef9c.jpg

1project2many
08-27-2014, 12:17 AM
Cool. I think John DeArmond (Neon John) posted some articles about this in the '90s. I might have copies around if interested.

delcowizzid
08-28-2014, 04:48 PM
well ecu's all linked up bar map sensor just sorting that now.grams/sec is reading off due to LS1 maf on a smaller v6 maf calibration untill my smaller maf turns up.needs more vacums just doesnt pull enough air yet which i knew would happen with only one vac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HSY0HEldYo

ony
08-30-2014, 07:29 PM
hope everone has a safe and prosperes labor day, and don't forget do a lot of good cooking, cooking seamse to get my mind off of a lot that goes on every day.:laugh: :popcorn:

77bird
09-15-2014, 06:47 AM
Holy crap! I was a mechanic for a total of 16 years, owned various cars, trucks, motorcycles, and thought I new a thing or two bout them. I've recently found myself in a position where I have more cool stuff than ever before, and 2 projects going that are kind of affecting each other. Due to this it has caused me to do more planning and critical thinking on exactly what I want out of the end result of each project, which has lead me to doing a ton of research. I have probably been reading forums and articles for about 3-4 hours a day for the last week or so. There is so much to take in, and so much that I didn't know. I suddenly feel like I am light years behind in the high performance world and really never knew a dang thing. The bad thing is I don't think I'm any closer to a decision on either project today than I was a week ago, except for knowing what I want my end horsepower to be on each project, which I knew that before I started. LOL. Just a rant really, sometimes it's good to vent this stuff.

dave w
09-15-2014, 07:47 AM
Holy crap! I was a mechanic for a total of 16 years, owned various cars, trucks, motorcycles, and thought I new a thing or two bout them. I've recently found myself in a position where I have more cool stuff than ever before, and 2 projects going that are kind of affecting each other. Due to this it has caused me to do more planning and critical thinking on exactly what I want out of the end result of each project, which has lead me to doing a ton of research. I have probably been reading forums and articles for about 3-4 hours a day for the last week or so. There is so much to take in, and so much that I didn't know. I suddenly feel like I am light years behind in the high performance world and really never knew a dang thing. The bad thing is I don't think I'm any closer to a decision on either project today than I was a week ago, except for knowing what I want my end horsepower to be on each project, which I knew that before I started. LOL. Just a rant really, sometimes it's good to vent this stuff.

... so what kind if EFI system are you thinking of for your projects?

dave w

77bird
09-16-2014, 01:50 AM
... so what kind if EFI system are you thinking of for your projects?

dave w

Well, I already have a Holley Projection 4 twin tbi set up on my 327 in my bird that I have had a lot of problems with. That was what initially atrracted me to gearhead efi. I was originally thinking that I just needed a better contol system on it but I have come to realize that I may actually be having so many problems with it because my 327 is theoretically already running near the maximum horsepower that the sytem can support. The motor is currently estimated to be coming in somewhere between 500 and 600 horsepower, and since the system I have maxes out at 550 hp, (which I'm sure is slightly overated by Holley) I think that may be a large part of the issue, set aside the fact that the old analog controller is just flat out old out dated technology. So I'm considering putting that system onto a more mild small block for my wifes 62 skylark but will definitely still be wanting to set it up on a gm pcm but I really still don't have any clue where to begin with that project. As for my car I'm seriously considering a fresh small block in the 350 to 400 cid range with a projected boosted (twin turbo) hp range upwards of 750 hp. Any recomendations on an injection system for that type of set up? Would a tpi set up be at all pheasable?

dave w
09-16-2014, 02:35 AM
Well, I already have a Holley Projection 4 twin tbi set up on my 327 in my bird that I have had a lot of problems with. That was what initially atrracted me to gearhead efi. I was originally thinking that I just needed a better contol system on it but I have come to realize that I may actually be having so many problems with it because my 327 is theoretically already running near the maximum horsepower that the sytem can support. The motor is currently estimated to be coming in somewhere between 500 and 600 horsepower, and since the system I have maxes out at 550 hp, (which I'm sure is slightly overated by Holley) I think that may be a large part of the issue, set aside the fact that the old analog controller is just flat out old out dated technology. So I'm considering putting that system onto a more mild small block for my wifes 62 skylark but will definitely still be wanting to set it up on a gm pcm but I really still don't have any clue where to begin with that project. As for my car I'm seriously considering a fresh small block in the 350 to 400 cid range with a projected boosted (twin turbo) hp range upwards of 750 hp. Any recomendations on an injection system for that type of set up? Would a tpi set up be at all pheasable?

I think a stock TPI system would be OK for about 300 HP, and a modified TPI would be OK for about 400 HP. The TPI system is designed for low to mid range RPM performance.

I don't have a specific recommendation for an EFI system that would support more than 2 HP per cubic inch. I would take a close look at maybe using the LS computer, 24x system with coil per cylinder? Hardware wise, I would take a close look at a single plane intake that provides port fuel injection system with the ability to flow 1000 CFM.

The option of a LS engine is worth considering also. The $$$ per HP with a LS engine is worth looking at?

dave w

77bird
09-16-2014, 02:42 AM
I think a stock TPI system would be OK for about 300 HP, and a modified TPI would be OK for about 400 HP. The TPI system is designed for low to mid range RPM performance.

I don't have a specific recommendation for an EFI system that would support more than 2 HP per cubic inch. I would take a close look at maybe using the LS computer, 24x system with coil per cylinder? Hardware wise, I would take a close look at a single plane intake that provides port fuel injection system with the ability to flow 1000 CFM.

The option of a LS engine is worth considering also. The $$$ per HP with a LS engine is worth looking at?

dave w

That is all definitely very good information. I had no idea that a tpi was so limited. LS is definitely a direction I have been considering. What about a gm ecm to control the old holley twin tbi set up? I'm thinking I'd be building an engine for it to go on that was more in the 400 to 450 hp range. Is there an ecm you'd recommend? Would it need IAC? Would you recommend wideband or narrowband o2? It is on a pro dominator tunnel ram if that makes any difference. I appreciate your interest and advice.

dave w
09-16-2014, 03:00 AM
That is all definitely very good information. I had no idea that a tpi was so limited. LS is definitely a direction I have been considering. What about a gm ecm to control the old holley twin tbi set up? I'm thinking I'd be building an engine for it to go on that was more in the 400 to 450 hp range. Is there an ecm you'd recommend? Would it need IAC? Would you recommend wideband or narrowband o2? It is on a pro dominator tunnel ram if that makes any difference. I appreciate your interest and advice.

The GM 16197427 (aka '7427) TBI PCM is really the only good choice for the Holley system you currently have. The '7427 PCM uses narrow band O2. With some minor modifications the '7427 can be tuned for Open Loop using a WBO2. I was thinking the Holley system you have uses a GM type IAC?

dave w

77bird
09-16-2014, 04:26 AM
The GM 16197427 (aka '7427) TBI PCM is really the only good choice for the Holley system you currently have. The '7427 PCM uses narrow band O2. With some minor modifications the '7427 can be tuned for Open Loop using a WBO2. I was thinking the Holley system you have uses a GM type IAC?

dave w
No currently it has no IAC, I would have to add it. The throttle bodies do have the castings for where it would have gone however the TPS is in the way of it on the front throttle body. I don't think it would be to hard to add to the rear throttle body but would it work to only run one in the rear or will I need 2 of them since I have 2 throttle bodies? Also does the ecm have to be modified to be able to run the 4 injectors as opposed to the 2 injectors that the 7747 is set up for?

dave w
09-16-2014, 06:37 AM
No currently it has no IAC, I would have to add it. The throttle bodies do have the castings for where it would have gone however the TPS is in the way of it on the front throttle body. I don't think it would be to hard to add to the rear throttle body but would it work to only run one in the rear or will I need 2 of them since I have 2 throttle bodies? Also does the ecm have to be modified to be able to run the 4 injectors as opposed to the 2 injectors that the 7747 is set up for?

Maybe you can post a picture of your throttle bodies? Only one IAC would be needed. The injectors impedance (ohms) will need to be measured to see if the '7427 can handle the current draw of 4 injectors.

dave w

77bird
09-16-2014, 06:52 AM

dave w
Maybe this is a dumb question but what good would it do to run a wide band o2 in open loop? Isnt the whole point behind going wideband to give more precise and faster reacting control of the system to the ecm? Just seems to me like if one was going to run it in open loop then a guy might as well just delete the o2 from the ecm all together and maybe install a gauge with wideband o2 to manually monitor it. Please understand I'm very new to all of this and really only have experience with factory systems.

77bird
09-16-2014, 06:58 AM
Maybe you can post a picture of your throttle bodies? Only one IAC would be needed. The injectors impedance (ohms) will need to be measured to see if the '7427 can handle the current draw of 4 injectors.

dave w
Here is a pic I have stored on my computer. Let me know if you can't see enough of what your looking for and I'll try to get some better pics tomorrow. I will ohm the injectors tomorrow as well. From what I have talked to Holley it sound like these are pretty standard throttle bodies they used with 80 pph injectors.

dave w
09-16-2014, 08:51 AM
Maybe this is a dumb question but what good would it do to run a wide band o2 in open loop? Isnt the whole point behind going wideband to give more precise and faster reacting control of the system to the ecm? Just seems to me like if one was going to run it in open loop then a guy might as well just delete the o2 from the ecm all together and maybe install a gauge with wideband o2 to manually monitor it. Please understand I'm very new to all of this and really only have experience with factory systems.

For a '7427 TBI engine making at or less than 1 HP per cubic inch the narrow band works well for closed loop. When a '7427 TBI engine is exceeding 1 HP per cubic, the narrow band closed loop is not as effective. The tuning process for the '7427 is the same for both narrow band or WBO2, data is recorded and the fuel table rich / lean conditions are corrected. When the '7427 TBI engine is properly WBO2 tuned, the fuel table will provide the correct AFR's for both normal driving and performance driving.

I don't mean to cause confusion. The '7427 is a very popular PCM. Many people have donated hours and hours of their time ( hacking / reverse engineering) to provide features into the '7427 PCM, that only expensive aftermarket EFI computers have. One of the features that can be added to the '7427 is getting the WBO2 AFR's into the data log in real time. The WBO2 does not control or adjust the fuel to the injectors, the '7427 fuel table settings control the fuel to the injectors. The real time WBO2 AFR's are used correct the fuel tables so open loop will provide the correct amount of fuel to the engine.

dave w

77bird
09-16-2014, 09:05 PM
For a '7427 TBI engine making at or less than 1 HP per cubic inch the narrow band works well for closed loop. When a '7427 TBI engine is exceeding 1 HP per cubic, the narrow band closed loop is not as effective. The tuning process for the '7427 is the same for both narrow band or WBO2, data is recorded and the fuel table rich / lean conditions are corrected. When the '7427 TBI engine is properly WBO2 tuned, the fuel table will provide the correct AFR's for both normal driving and performance driving.

I don't mean to cause confusion. The '7427 is a very popular PCM. Many people have donated hours and hours of their time ( hacking / reverse engineering) to provide features into the '7427 PCM, that only expensive aftermarket EFI computers have. One of the features that can be added to the '7427 is getting the WBO2 AFR's into the data log in real time. The WBO2 does not control or adjust the fuel to the injectors, the '7427 fuel table settings control the fuel to the injectors. The real time WBO2 AFR's are used correct the fuel tables so open loop will provide the correct amount of fuel to the engine.

dave w

Ok I think that is starting to make sense to me. I'm still a liitle confused though, so when the switch is made to WBO2 is a person then only using the O2 data for data logging and then making program adjustments to fuel tables based on that and that is the end of it? Or will a person data log it, make program adjustments, and then will the ecm will make real time adjustments based on WBO2 data it is receiving? Not trying to beat this dead just want to make sure I am understanding it completely. I really appreciate all the time your taking to answer my questions. As I'm sure you've already noticed I have a very very long way to go with a lot to learn.
Did you happen to see the picture? Any initial thoughts from looking at it? Anything that you see as being a problem right off?

dave w
09-16-2014, 10:07 PM
Ok I think that is starting to make sense to me. I'm still a liitle confused though, so when the switch is made to WBO2 is a person then only using the O2 data for data logging and then making program adjustments to fuel tables based on that and that is the end of it? Or will a person data log it, make program adjustments, and then will the ecm will make real time adjustments based on WBO2 data it is receiving? Not trying to beat this dead just want to make sure I am understanding it completely. I really appreciate all the time your taking to answer my questions. As I'm sure you've already noticed I have a very very long way to go with a lot to learn.
Did you happen to see the picture? Any initial thoughts from looking at it? Anything that you see as being a problem right off?

There is not a switch to WBO2. The WBO2 is an optional feature that someone figured out for the '7427. The WBO2 information does not control the fuel in the '7427.

The "Tuner" (a person) will make changes to the '7427 fuel tables. The information from the WBO2 can be configured to be in the '7427 data log (recorded engine information when the vehicle was test driven). The data log contains information like, RPM, MAP, TPS, IAC, BLM, INT, and dozens of other parameters.

I saw the picture. I think a good plan would be replace the rear throttle body with a throttle body that has an IAC, (maybe a used Holley Throttle Body) I also think it would be a good plan to upgrade to the new style Holley TBI injectors.

dave w

77bird
09-16-2014, 11:15 PM
There is not a switch to WBO2. The WBO2 is an optional feature that someone figured out for the '7427. The WBO2 information does not control the fuel in the '7427.

The "Tuner" (a person) will make changes to the '7427 fuel tables. The information from the WBO2 can be configured to be in the '7427 data log (recorded engine information when the vehicle was test driven). The data log contains information like, RPM, MAP, TPS, IAC, BLM, INT, and dozens of other parameters.

I saw the picture. I think a good plan would be replace the rear throttle body with a throttle body that has an IAC, (maybe a used Holley Throttle Body) I also think it would be a good plan to upgrade to the new style Holley TBI injectors.

dave w

Now I got it, just wanted to make sure on that. As far as upgrading to the new style injectors would there still be concern with whether or not the 7427 could support the impedence of 4 injectors or do you happen to already know that the newer style ones will work? What is better about the new style injectors vs. the style that is on my system? Would I be better off to just ditch the old holley throttle bodies and use a couple of gm throttle bodies instead?

Six_Shooter
09-17-2014, 01:50 AM
I've never understood this "horsepower limitation" of an ECM. Especially when there are many people that have gone beyond the theoretical "horsepower limitations" of the ECM they are using. I've seen the argument that they are unable to control an injector large enough to support XX HP, which I have yet to see in any application. I've seen other arguments that were based on measured (or calculated) air flow, that again is not a limitation of the ECM itself... The technology used in that ECM is a different story, and that may limit what the ECM can control, but is not directly relateable to a HP rating.

If you have two throttle bodies I would strongly suggest using two IACs. The distribution of air will be more even across all cylinders. Crossfire systems use dual IACs, for this very reason. Dual IACs will also function fine attached to a '7427 PCM.

I would just move over to GM throttle bodies, getting away from the Holley injectors that are known for issues, and giving you the ability to easily add the IACs.

You can run each pair of injectors in series when using the Delco ECM. This is what has been done to my friend's '71 Cutlass with a custom 4bbl TBI, and his girlfriend's Olds powered '89 Caprice. These cars get driven and BEATEN on regularly. They are using the '7060 PCM however, but the injector drivers are the same as the '7427.

77bird
09-17-2014, 05:14 AM
I've never understood this "horsepower limitation" of an ECM. Especially when there are many people that have gone beyond the theoretical "horsepower limitations" of the ECM they are using. I've seen the argument that they are unable to control an injector large enough to support XX HP, which I have yet to see in any application. I've seen other arguments that were based on measured (or calculated) air flow, that again is not a limitation of the ECM itself... The technology used in that ECM is a different story, and that may limit what the ECM can control, but is not directly relateable to a HP rating.

If you have two throttle bodies I would strongly suggest using two IACs. The distribution of air will be more even across all cylinders. Crossfire systems use dual IACs, for this very reason. Dual IACs will also function fine attached to a '7427 PCM.

I would just move over to GM throttle bodies, getting away from the Holley injectors that are known for issues, and giving you the ability to easily add the IACs.

You can run each pair of injectors in series when using the Delco ECM. This is what has been done to my friend's '71 Cutlass with a custom 4bbl TBI, and his girlfriend's Olds powered '89 Caprice. These cars get driven and BEATEN on regularly. They are using the '7060 PCM however, but the injector drivers are the same as the '7427.

Six Shooter, I couldn't agree more with on the thought that an ecm shouldn't limit horsepower. I may not know a lot about this stuff yet but I just can't see how the ecm could have anything to do with your horsepower limit. I do see how cfm limitations of throttle bodies can definitely affect it since a given size throttle body just like a given size carb can only flow so much air. Same with injectors. I'm acually thinking that is a very large part of my problem with my holley system. I think the 80 lbs/hr injectors may actually be capable of flowing far more fuel than the throttle bodies can (comparitively) flow air. At any rate, do you feel the 7427 is the good choice for what I'm trying to do or do you think the 7060 is a better choice? I'm also curious if you have any recomendations as to what gm throttle bodies you would recommend?

Six_Shooter
09-17-2014, 05:45 AM
I would go with the '7427, since they are easier to find and have more in the bin to be able to fine tune, along with being more hacked in the DIY community. The only reason that the '7060s were used in my friend's cars was because one of the swaps was done before he and I met, and the '7060 was the easiest ECM to use with his combo, that also has 4L80E behind the Olds engines. He had a well known aftermarket EFI supplier do the tuning years ago, I now tune his cars. We've discussed swapping over to the '7427, but that would mean basically starting from scratch on the tune, and his car is FAR from stock, so it's been pretty much decided the swap would not really gain anything.

Just to give some ideas of what is being used on the Olds engines, one being a 465 (ish) CID, Edlebrock heads, fairly large cam (270+ degrees duration), 10 (ish):1 SCR, I believe Torker intake, long tube headers, 3" dual exhaust, uses a custom 4bbl TBI made from a bored out 454 throttle body and a 350 throttle body, and flows somewhere around 1150 CFM IIRC. the other engine, which is a pretty much stock 455, Same intake as the other, small cam (but not a stock cam), stock manifolds, 2.5" dual exhaust, uses a custom throttle body made from two 350 throttle bodies, I don't recall the flow rating on it.

So I would use nothing less than 454 throttle bodies, if I had to have only 2 bbls in your case. If it was my own car and had to use throttle bodies (I would likely swap to MPFI if it were my car in all honesty), I would make a couple 4 bbl throttle bodies. ;)

77bird
09-17-2014, 06:19 AM
OH wow, that adds an entirely new dimension of thought to what I'm doing with this. Thanks so much for all the great advice there!!! I had considered going with MPFI but I kinda want to stick with throttle bodies just to retain some nostalgia to the look of the system since I am currently planning on transfering this engine and injection system into my wifes 62 skylark. Since we just touched on 454's do you have any thoughts on a '96 7.4 litre vortec twin turbo using the stock vortec injection system?

dave w
09-19-2014, 06:28 AM
I have a new project I'm helping with, 2005 GTO 6.0 Liter E40 computer. This is the first time I've worked with the E40. Fun stuff, someone cut some wires!:mad1: see attached picture.

Now on to some of the 2005 GTO wiring schematics.

It's been an interesting year for me:
My first experience with an E38 computer.
My first experience with an E40 computer.
My first experience with $12P (1227165 ECM)
Built and sold 8 LSx harness.
Heck, I even got to play with a MEFI system that someone wired wrong. It's such a nice thing when wiring is done correctly!:thumbsup:

I've only taken 2 sick days this year from my full time day job, and those were used so I could road trip to visit Eagle Mark.

dave w

ony
10-11-2014, 05:50 AM
funning thing happen this week at work, had a 89 c2500 an a 95 I think k 2500 both where 350 engines. some one had replaced the dist modgule and the plastic conector had deteriated that hold the green and white wire to the modgule. they got the wires backwards trucks didn't run very good.the fuel pump was bad on the 89 plus the wires wrong,the 95 had a fairly new walker cat that failed and stoped up the exaushts the man thought the modgule was bad and he changed it an put the green wire on the outside connector an white on the inside., wouldnot hardly idle. switched the wires it run good at idle give it a little gas [map low tps out of range egr failure ] put a back pressure gauge on it slight throttle would peg the gauge. any way magnetic pick up wires to modgule green in side white to the out side plug. it is just strange to me getting 2 of them the same way in 2 days.

delcowizzid
10-22-2014, 03:54 PM
gotta love cam run-in day one of the meanest sounding inline sixes ive ever built 2000rpm cam run-in video its a decient size turbo grind 240/240@0.050

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huBrGQpdZFk

JeepsAndGuns
10-24-2014, 02:37 AM
My email got hacked! :mad1:
Not really sure what happened. Got online this morning and have a email from a address I dont know. The subject line was "response to your request". I dont open it thinking its spam, casue I know I have not sent any emails. A min or two later, I get another one. Thought it was strange, but just deleted it. I get up, go to the bathroom and get another email, from my mom, that was just a question mark and the original quoted message that was just my name that was a link, and some strange random quote at the bottom. I then notice my spam folder is full of 66 messages. I check it and they are all returned emails (like what happenes when you send a email to a address thats no good) They show what addres they were sent to and its ones from my email address book, like old outdated ones. I then get a email from myself to my email address on my phone, same message, my name as a link and a random strage quote at the bottom. I know by then I had got hacked or something. I changed my password right then but thats all I could do cause I was about to run late for work.
I get home this afternoon. I deleted every single contact from my email account. For some reason, it was set to automaticly add any email address I send a email to. So I had several years worth. I then turn that feature off. I check my sent folder and nothing is in there except for the ones I actually sent. And I had not sent any emails in a couple months. How could these emails be sent out without it showing I sent them in my outbox? Idk if this was a hacker or a virus. I dont even know how to tell. But I'm thinking virus, cause I could still log into my email fine. Most I read online of actual hackers, the passwords get changed and the person cant log in. So I'm thinnking virus. But I do not go to strange sites, I never ever ever download attachments in emails, and rarely click links. The only links I have clicked in recent memory are links to track packages from places like rockauto and summit racing. I delete any emails I dont know or are not expecting. So I have no clue how I got this.
I ran spybot search and distroy. I just downloaded and run malwarebytes anti malware and then run a manual scan with my regular antivirus (bitdefender 8). They did not find anything. WTF?

RobertISaar
10-24-2014, 02:44 AM
my yahoo account does this occasionally..... i'm thinking it is a server-side issue considering the password a hacker would need to produce to get into my account.

delcowizzid
10-24-2014, 05:30 AM
i get emails from myself regular its so the spam emails get past your filter search getting emails from my own email address

1project2many
10-24-2014, 02:19 PM
Is it an AOL account? They get hacked frequently.

A separate program could be running that sends to addresses from your book and your internet provider's mail server settings. Undeliverable returns would show up in your inbox but nothing would be recorded in the sent box.

Years ago I wrote a program that would take incoming spam, add the sender's addy to a list of addresses, and forward the spam to everyone on the list. Each new spam meant a new "to" address in the list and another message bounced out. My ISP called me one day because the software was sending messages 24/7. Said it would have to stop or I would need a commercial account. None of those outgoing messages were saved in my sent box.

I regularly start "task manager" and look for running programs that don't belong. If you do it often enough you'll get to know what's normally there. And if you have a software firewall you should be able to see what programs are attempting to access the internet. Put a junk address in your address book and see if there's any activity trying to send a spam message. Also, depending on Winnows version you can see when files were added in the control panel. Program causing problem is probably fairly new.

Some of this software has a life of its own.

JeepsAndGuns
10-25-2014, 02:31 PM
Yes, it is a aol account. I pretty much never send any actual email. When I need to contact family or friends, I call or text from my phone. I sometimes recieve email from them, but rearly send any. Pretty much all I have ever used my email for, is for stuff like delivery confirmations when ordering stuff online, contacting people when buying/selling stuff on forums like here, and anything that requires a account (like forums) that need a valid email.
Hopefully deleteing the address book will help. I may try what you suggest, and try adding a few fake address and see if something tries to send email to them.
Is there any way to figure out if it was on my end or the server end? I opened the task manager and looked around. Nothing out of the ordnairy on the main parts. But there is so much stuff in the other places, I wouldnt know what is and whats not supposed to be there.

ony
10-26-2014, 12:03 AM
someone hacked my email [msn.com] a year or so ago. sending emails out about I guess mail order russion brides.[ porn] I don't get on porn sights contacted msn they told me they would investigate ,in the mean time start another email account because they had closed my old one. that was the last I herd from msn.

steveo
10-30-2014, 08:19 PM
this morning i did the first read test of my prototype ee flash tool

t-side was perfect, e-side became corrupt about halfway, but it's a great start, i think even though the requests are serialized, i pushed the timing a bit too tight.

can't really test write until i socket an ecm, not 'just in case' but so i can test and see what happens if i introduce noise and force a packet checksum to fail.

still, exciting progress

JeepsAndGuns
10-31-2014, 02:24 AM
Ok chevy people, let me ask you a question and see if yall can answer it.
What is the difference between 2002 and 2003 model chevy 2500HD's brake master cylinders? Looking at pictures online, they look almost identical, and have the same bore size. Is it something like the bolt hole spacing or brake line threads? The hydroboost units have different part numbers too, but also look the same.
Long story short, I am modding the front 1 ton axle for my jeep to use the calipers from that year range truck, and the rear axle uses calipers virtually identical to what would be on the rear of those trucks. Since I am already running a chevy hydroboost, I figured it would be best to run a MC from the same year range truck the calipers came from.
It looks like one year range is like 99-02, then next is 03-07. While the calipers are the same from 99-10. So I cant figure out the difference. Anyone have any idea?

delcowizzid
11-01-2014, 06:50 AM
taking the 202 cube straight 6 turbo convert for a cruise man its smooth so much fun to cruise in

http://youtu.be/yKAVOXpfP7c

1project2many
11-11-2014, 03:43 PM
Aww, man! How come I've got to drive the Ferrari?!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WREyAicJXkM

delcowizzid
11-11-2014, 04:33 PM
haha a pushy at 50kmh is scary enough let alone 333kmh LOL

dave w
11-21-2014, 02:45 AM
Some of the members here know I work at a HP site. I'm sometimes asked, "can you get me a deal on an HP product?" Here is what I can do. The deals can be hit or miss?

https://h41183.www4.hp.com/pps-offers.php?prod_cat=notebook_pcs

or

https://h41183.www4.hp.com/pps-offers.php

dave w

delcowizzid
12-07-2014, 09:36 AM
just got back from the drags got kicked out for going to fast time to step up to a proper bigboys class LOL
10.8@127 on stock parts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0gmShs3FRw&feature=youtu.be

dave w
12-07-2014, 06:34 PM
just got back from the drags got kicked out for going to fast time to step up to a proper bigboys class LOL
10.8@127 on stock parts

You sure made that other car look slow.:laugh:

dave w

1project2many
12-08-2014, 02:25 AM
10.8@127 on stock parts

Haha... Nice! But slow it down 'cause it's gonna cost more to play with the big boys.

I have friend that runs an old Vette for fun. He's probably about 70 now and this is just for kicks. Showed up at the track a couple of years ago and accidentally went into the 11's a couple of times and they said "Helmet!" So he gets an old helmet. Next time at the track, he puts the helmet on and can't see anything! Up, down, left, right... all black. He feels knocking on the helmet, takes it off, and sees the track guy outside swirling his hand around and around. It took a bit but my friend finally realized he had the helmet on backward! After that when I burned a chip for him I'd usually ask if he needed any changes made in reverse!

delcowizzid
12-08-2014, 01:34 PM
haha yeah we will be the only 6 cylinder in super sedan if we step up and the only people running a $150 high km engine in the 10's LOL

1project2many
12-08-2014, 02:55 PM
I like running as the underdog. I just love the looks people give when they realize what you're doing and the equipment you're using. But it can be a lot more work at the end of a year. As long as its fun though. I love the vids... keep 'em coming.

delcowizzid
12-08-2014, 03:01 PM
this was last week racing 1/8th street drags against 900hp blown meth mustang LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LK2MNV0ux8

dave w
12-21-2014, 05:54 PM
3D Printer part is used to lift a car.

dave w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhZAiNkAb_E

Six_Shooter
12-25-2014, 09:31 AM
So, I just finished watching The Interview.

I don't see what all the hoopla was about concerning releasing it.

It's a typical Rogan/Franco comedy. Actually to be honest it's a little better than that.

It's not a "must see" but if you have a couple hours to waste and you're caught up on everything else, it's good for that.

JeepsAndGuns
12-25-2014, 06:25 PM
Yea I have been kinda watching the media madhouse thats been going on with it. I wouldnt mind seeing it cause it looks kinda funny. But its not playing here.

steveo
12-26-2014, 09:35 AM
I don't see what all the hoopla was about concerning releasing it.

gotta remember, for north koreans, this guy is literally their god, they have been brainwashed as such.

it's not like someone making fun of obama or whatever, it's more along the lines of walking into a bar in the bible belt and calling jesus a dumbass.

still, who cares? i don't, i believe in the right of people to make terrible movies with no real content or depth of humor (and this is one of them, it sucked)

but i do understand. they don't get it, since they dont have perspective. they don't know the difference between movies and government propaganda because in their country, there's no such distinction, they just assume the american government had something to do with it, since that's how their country works.

just for a look in the mirror, i do know of some folks who would probably start shooting at my house if i made a movie about jesus flying helicopters around looking like a total dumbass or whatever.

they also do kill the guy, which maybe takes it a bit too far? seen any movies lately where the american president gets capped?

imo

1project2many
12-26-2014, 03:00 PM
I just don't understand where the humor is in those movies. Or better yet, I can't seem to accept there are enough people who find this stuff funny that studios keep backing them. I watched it but probably wouldn't have without the hacker's efforts to stop it. I'm hoping Sony posts numbers for the amount of people who viewed it. My personal opinion is that Sony should have made the movie available online, worldwide, and free within hours of the threat. There are plenty of ways to get the movie out there once it's available.

It's not a "must see" but if you have a couple hours to waste and you're caught up on everything else, it's good for that. Ya... I got a good nap in the middle.

delcowizzid
12-29-2014, 02:56 PM
thought we would hit the dyno for a power run and see if we could find any gains looks like weve hit a wall for flow the higher we wound the boost the higher the power but at lower rpm went 450rwhp at 4200rpm LOL and then stayed up at 420rwhp till the operator lifted at 6000rpm not bad for stock pistons over 3 x stock power at the tyre LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSuzQayDkt8

delcowizzid
12-29-2014, 02:58 PM
full hard pull too 6000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkQFZc1mYzM

Six_Shooter
01-04-2015, 09:03 AM
I full on laughed at this:

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/attachment.php?attachmentid=8373&d=1420351354

JeepsAndGuns
01-08-2015, 03:19 PM
11* this morning! I know its colder other places, but this is alabama, it not supposed to get this cold down here!! :mad1:

DOCBAWRENCHTURNER
01-08-2015, 10:00 PM
It' 28 here but the wind is gusting 24-34mph, weather channel says it feels like 6 and I believe that 6 must be code for damn cold, because that's what it feels like.

Hog
01-08-2015, 10:30 PM
Last night it was about 0°F last night. It was chilly.

peace
Hog

1project2many
01-09-2015, 02:06 AM
-12 this morning. Cold, but not so cold. Then I read that it was down to 0 in Louisiana and things just started to feel bad. It's not supposed to be that cold that far south.

Six_Shooter
01-12-2015, 08:29 AM
HAhahaha:

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/attachment.php?attachmentid=8403&d=1421040529

JeepsAndGuns
01-12-2015, 03:22 PM
We seem to be getting a lot of iphone spammers here lately. Dont these people have anything better to do.

JeepsAndGuns
02-20-2015, 02:39 AM
I am so sick of cold weather.
Last saturday (the 14th) it was 60* outside. I put a new water pump on my YJ in short sleeves. Sunday, the high was the mid 30's WTF?
I dont think it has gotten above the mid to high 30's all week. It was 14* here this morning, high today was the mid 20's. Calling for snow tomorrow. UGH....
I know I cant complain as much as some of you up north, but this is alabama, its not supposed to get cold and snow down here!....lol

ericjon262
02-20-2015, 03:00 AM
tell me about it, all I want to do is make a few logs on the turbo fiero so I can get some tuning done, and it's cold enough that I don't even want to do that!

1project2many
02-20-2015, 03:25 AM
all I want to do is make a few logs on the turbo fiero

Uhhh.... that does not sound right.

30" snow at the house, snowing now. Buses can't get down streets, multiple calls for stuck buses and or mirror hits, many times simultaneously. Can't find parking at shop, responsible for plowing shop, parking lot, driveway at home, and turns out streets when buses can't get through. 12 hrs/day, weekends too, any end in site? Warmed enough to soften snow today but cold, cold, cold tomorrow and rain/snow mix forecasted for weekend. Got back to shop today to sit down at 2:00, didn't even get out before call to next accident. High/drunk/messed up guy drove straight across yellow line and head on into bus. Spent rest of day with that, never got back to shop.

Tired.

sturgillbd
02-20-2015, 04:17 AM
We got about 8-10" of snow earlier in the week and had about 2 inches more yesterday morning. This morning it was 0F when I got to work at 6:40 and at 7:30 it was -3F. At 3:30, when I left work, I put a thermocouple on a meter and it measured 6F. I have spring water at home and had to go up in the mountain on my 4 wheeler yesterday to get more flow down to my reservoir. I got the 4 wheeler within about 50 yards of the catch basin for the spring. There was a snow drift that was almost 4 feet on the side of a tree. The forecast is saying -6F in the morn and Friday night through Saturday is more snow, changing to freezing rain Sat evening. Also forecasting an additional 5-8 " of snow. Here is a picture from work Tuesday morning. Average elevation for this town is 1300 ft. At work, the parking lot is at 3200 feet.

Hog
02-20-2015, 03:38 PM
I full on laughed at this:

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/attachment.php?attachmentid=8373&d=1420351354

What's the difference between a 300hp and 800hp Supra?

They BOTH run 12's.

peace
Hog

sturgillbd
02-22-2015, 12:52 AM
We were supposed to get 1 - 3" of additional snow last night. Well we got that plus a few. Bad thing is we got 16". Two of my dad's carports buckled. One is the one my jeep project is under. We scraped what snow we could off the roof and climbed between the jeep and my brother's T model and started jacking the roof back up. Minimal damage to the jeep but buckled the valance above the windshield on the T. Now it is raining...

fastacton
02-22-2015, 02:03 AM
Wow, that sucks!

JeepsAndGuns
02-22-2015, 03:14 AM
Hate to hear about your carport. At least the damage was minimal.
All the freezing cold weather this past week. They sent us home from work friday because of the chance of sleet and freezing rain. Now today its been rainy and 58.

JeepsAndGuns
02-22-2015, 05:23 PM
Pretty interesting non scientific oil test.
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=174442

Woods
02-24-2015, 04:48 AM
Anyone else get a spam PM from Kerry, saying, Are you looking for where to find the cheapest things for your car? Then look here ***/**********. I hate spam. On the weather note, here in Montana, except for about 3 weeks in Dec, we have had a very mellow Winter, bizarre weather!

RobertISaar
02-24-2015, 05:34 AM
when did you get that PM? I banned Kerry on the 21st.

Woods
02-24-2015, 06:16 AM
when did you get that PM? I banned Kerry on the 21st.
I already deleted it, but it was a few days ago. Had not logged in for while.

joegreen
02-24-2015, 06:53 AM
I dont remember who it was from but i got that spam as well

skandolis
02-24-2015, 05:45 PM
I think everybody must have..............F*n spammers.............

joegreen
02-27-2015, 05:42 AM
For the record this is my 200th post. :rockon:******************************** :confused1:>>>> 200 <<<<:confused1: *********************************:rockon:

dave w
02-27-2015, 06:32 AM
For the record this is my 200th post. :rockon:******************************** :confused1:>>>> 200 <<<<:confused1: *********************************:rockon:

Cool, how about setting a goal to get to 2000 posts?

dave w

joegreen
02-27-2015, 08:05 AM
Yes, I either need to have enough questions or become fluent enough to help other people to reach that many posts. But i dont plan on going anywhere.

Six_Shooter
02-27-2015, 10:07 AM
On another site I just hit 1000 posts a week, ago, I honestly thought it would have been higher than that, well I actually know that it is because some posts have been deleted, due to people wanting to bicker about about stuff. I just thought that I would have been well over 1000 a while ago.

Anyway, there was a site that I had nearly 20,000 posts on at one time, but I hardly go there anymore. If I'm not mistaken I'm still top 5 for post whore status on that site. I may post there about twice a year in the last 6 years.

delcowizzid
03-07-2015, 04:29 PM
bigger is allways better right LOL just bolted this bad boy on good for 1000 crank horsepower shouldnt need to upgrade for a while
http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab81/delcowizzid/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0431_zps24qzatcv.jpg

JeepsAndGuns
03-09-2015, 01:01 AM
Talking to a friend of mine last night online who is from canada and he mentions that the us dollar is currently worth more than the canadian. He was talking about how hes paying more now when he buys something from the US. He said it was a buyers market for people in the us, as they will get more for their money.
I have been wanting a PS4 since they came out, and a little looking online, I ended up getting one from canada. I saved about $74us buying it from there Vs buying it here. I got it from canada, with shipping, for cheaper than retail is here. I'm pretty happy.

delcowizzid
03-13-2015, 02:35 PM
think its gonna work never been able to build launch boost on the brakes now 10psi yeehaa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4PcZtHao3k

Six_Shooter
03-17-2015, 02:20 PM
I have now officially, without question, "seen it all"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f62Z8Ev9OXA

1project2many
03-17-2015, 03:27 PM
Thanks for that. Improved a bad start to a long day.

DOCBAWRENCHTURNER
03-17-2015, 04:47 PM
So....since this is the "Whatever" thread... <rant> I just found out the young man I traded my 5.3 swapped 1986 gmc to has it back up for sale. At twice what I was asking, he's phrasing everything as if I still have it and is using mostly the pictures I took of it. For some reason this is getting my goat. I just feel angry about it. Maybe it's just me, but I'm pissed about it </rant>

joegreen
03-17-2015, 05:37 PM
So....since this is the "Whatever" thread... <rant> I just found out the young man I traded my 5.3 swapped 1986 gmc to has it back up for sale. At twice what I was asking, he's phrasing everything as if I still have it and is using mostly the pictures I took of it. For some reason this is getting my goat. I just feel angry about it. Maybe it's just me, but I'm pissed about it </rant>
send him an email telling him your pictures are copyrighted and to use his own.

1project2many
03-17-2015, 07:23 PM
It's very frustrating when people do that. It's happened to me before. One way to change what's happening is to post the same ad with the same pictures and his phone number, but at 1/2 the price.

DOCBAWRENCHTURNER
03-25-2015, 11:43 PM
Just an update on the truck listing situations, the kid is like 21 I called him and explained the situation. Told him I knew where the truck was (I have a buddy that lives in the same town) and that if I was selling the truck then I should be getting the money for it. He apologized and changed his listing (i helped him), kind of a weird deal, he thinks that we're friends (maybe we are?), remembers my name. I think he really just needs a dad.

fastacton
03-26-2015, 12:26 AM
Yeah, some kids don't get much parenting these days. At least he was willing to work with you on his listing, that's better than what many punk kids will do so maybe he has a chance.

DOCBAWRENCHTURNER
03-26-2015, 04:45 PM
He seems like a hard worker, he pretty much told me his life story.

Six_Shooter
04-03-2015, 06:16 PM
Went to the first showing of Furious7 last night. It was a good movie. Over the top action as expected from the trailers and how the last couple movies have gone. Worth watching even just for the vast amounts of modified cars in it, and return characters.

The tribute to Paul was perfect.

joegreen
04-03-2015, 07:01 PM
sweet, I am excited to see it. I am waiting until the crowds die down then going to an imax theater.

Six_Shooter
04-03-2015, 07:28 PM
I almost want to go see it again, JUST for the Paul send off, it was that perfect.

DOCBAWRENCHTURNER
04-03-2015, 09:18 PM
good to know, although my wife would NOT be caught in the theater for a Fast & Furious movie

joegreen
04-11-2015, 01:02 AM
this will make anyones day. Dont read any words on the screen just open the link and go right to full screen with the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXW0bx_Ooq4

Six_Shooter
05-29-2015, 09:17 AM
So I've been working on this project pretty steadily for the last week.

It's part of a much larger project through work, which is a 1940 International Troop carrier being converted into a limo.

Well, part of that project was to install as large of a sunroof as we could find, so a VW Touareg sunroof was chosen.

the only glitch is that it needs to be in a VW car to work, due to some can bus communications that the original motors needed in order to actually function.

I could have reverse engineered that signal, but I don't quite have the experience to be confident I could pull it off in a timely enough manner.

So what to do?

Build a new controller from scratch!

I have a basic functioning controller, that will detect when the glass and the shade are at the end of the travel through current sensing, and does some basic interaction between the glass and shade when certain functions are used.

I.E., when the glass is commanded to open, the shade does as well, or when the buttons are held for longer than 1 second the control is manual and will stop when the button is released.

I will be testing it in the vehicle tomorrow. I have already tested the current sensing end of it with another test rig I set up a while ago, and finaly got to work last week the way I wanted to.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/attachment.php?attachmentid=9060&d=1432880219

ony
07-31-2015, 05:14 PM
is there a pin for pin print out to swap a 7427 with a 7747 on this sight, I thought I seen on somebody posted. I did a search but it came up with one I didn't understand:mad1:

CFI Z51
07-31-2015, 06:11 PM
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?173-1227747-to-16197427-Conversion-PCM-Swap-with-Wiring-Pinout-Directions!

This one?

ony
08-01-2015, 01:10 AM
that is proble the one I saw,so I hook a6 to a1?

dave w
08-01-2015, 01:44 AM
that is proble the one I saw,so I hook a6 to a1?

Old Pin---New Pin-----Color------------Function
A6--------E15----------PNK/BLK-------Ignition Feed +12VDC

The '7747 A6 will be moved to '7427 E15

dave w

ony
08-01-2015, 02:19 PM
thanks dave, iam making a adapter to plug the 427 into my 7747 horness I have to daily drive my truck so I don't want to make a wiring mix up and be stuck.:thumbsup:

1project2many
08-20-2015, 07:35 PM
Instructions on a box of bandages...

Six_Shooter
08-20-2015, 10:38 PM
Lol, someone didn't edit that like they were supposed to.

ony
09-06-2015, 06:19 PM
hy, hope ever one has a good safe labor day weekend, remember its to honor people from the ones that pick up pop cans to the president of the us and gearheads:thumbsup:

34blazer
09-07-2015, 02:55 AM
WAIT. You're from Texas and call them "pop" cans???

1project2many
09-07-2015, 06:27 AM
Thanks, Ony.

Searching through BCCFind lead me to find seven Lumina 3.1 calibrations for methanol fuel. I didn't even realize GM did that.

RobertISaar
09-07-2015, 06:46 AM
i wish I actually had one of those calibrations, but those cars have probably long since been turned into soup cans.

dave w
09-07-2015, 08:29 AM
I sold my 93 K1500 today. I have mixed thoughts, I really liked the affordability of OBD1, yet the EFI market has shifted to OBB2. I would not survive as an OBD1 only business.:broke:

I'm now driving a 99 S10 / 4WD / 5.7 Vortec V8 / '0411 / 24x per coil vehicle. Unfortunately, I've yet to surpass the performance the 93 K1500 offered.:mad1: The moral to the experience, OBD1 is low cost performance!

For what it's worth, the first Craigslist buyer that actually showed up and drove my old K1500, did not haggle on price and purchased the K1500 with cash in hand. A 5200 lb pickup that goes 0 - 60 MPH in about 7 seconds is nice selling point!:thumbsup:

dave w

fastacton
09-07-2015, 06:55 PM
Speaking of moving on from ODB1 to OBD2, here's my '51 Ford panel that I just swapped from a TBI 4.3/700R4 to a 5.3/4L80E with the 0411 PCM. I'm still getting the tune nailed down and have to quiet down the exhaust, but it's fun to drive.

joegreen
09-09-2015, 12:26 AM
Does anyone have carfax. I have a 2002 accord I just acquired and wanted to see if anything shows up. If someone has it I can post the vin on here or pm it. Thanks

devind
09-15-2015, 01:25 AM
Interesting write up on the little vortec 5.3
http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/engine/1213tr-vortec-5-3l-big-bang/

joegreen
10-17-2015, 11:43 AM
I can't stand my junkyard. I want to change over from a flex fan to a fan clutch on my 78 k20. Last time I went to the junkyard I was told $40 for a fan and clutch combo. I thought that was high at the time but after a little research I decided that was fair. So today I look around for about an hour an find a fan and clutch I want out of an 87 suburban with rear a/c. I go back to the counter and told him about the $40 for the combo the last time i was here. So he says $40? Uh yeah we fired that guy its $75 now. Oh yeah I'm sure you fired the owner. You are going to sell me a 28 year old part for more than I can buy new. You have so many fan clutches why charge extreme prices. I can understand maybe a newer car but a rusted out old part?

JeepsAndGuns
10-17-2015, 02:25 PM
I know what you mean there. We have a yard around here like that too. I simply choose to not ever go there. I take my business to more reasonable yards. I prefer pull-a-part myself. Low prices, same price for a part regardless of what it came from, and you pull it yourself. Sometimes they might not have quite the selection of vehicles as the other yards, but what they don't have, I find online.

joegreen
10-18-2015, 11:50 AM
If their prices were reasonable they would have gotten a lot of money from me over the years. A while back i wanted a center cap horn piece for my truck and they wanted $30. Thats so crazy high for what it is (at least a 30 year old piece of plastic) . I was walking in the yard the other day and just saw it laying in the mud. They are also choosy on what they sell. I wanted a new plastic piece that covered all my gauges because my old one was yellowed from the sun. They wouldn't sell it separate from the whole instrument panel. Im fine with that if the panel was all mint but when its just hanging their out of the dash and things are broken and pieces are missing from it and you still dont want to sell it ill bring my money somewhere else. Looks like im on the lookout for some new junkyards to explore. I have a couple good leads within 20 miles of my house. Ill have to call and get some quotes on fan and clutch combos.

Six_Shooter
10-19-2015, 01:32 AM
I'm really embracing the "one price fits all" yards anymore. The prices are usually low to start with and for the parts that I usually want, they are plentyful. Only a few times have I completely struk out on something specific, but I usually find other stuff anyway. lol

The saving grace for other stuff is that I know the owner('s son) of the local yard and he usually treats me pretty well on stuff. :)

JeepsAndGuns
10-19-2015, 02:13 AM
I have a couple good leads within 20 miles of my house.

Sometimes you gotta drive a little. The pull-a-part I go to a lot is about a 45 min drive away from me.

Six_Shooter
10-19-2015, 06:39 AM
Sometimes you gotta drive a little. The pull-a-part I go to a lot is about a 45 min drive away from me.

Yep, the one that I go to most is about 35 minutes away, there is another about 10 minutes away from it, and another is about 30 minutes away. But even if there's not great, there's always something worth getting.

1project2many
10-19-2015, 02:56 PM
Is it a bad thing when you view a craigslist ad from another state and immediately recognize that a) the vehicle being sold is in a salvage yard, and b) you know which yard even though it's probably been 10 years since you visited it? Worse yet, the photos didn't really show anything remarkable... a few cars parked together with trees in the back were the clue.

I don't do business with yards that don't deal. I try to help the places that help me because there are fewer and fewer of them all the time. More recently all the places that buy scrap metal (not automotive salvage yards, but the metal recyclers) have been bought by a large company and the new policy is not to sell anything. Where I was once able to buy used cylinder heads for $.20/lb and stainless steel sheets for $.35/lb now I can't get anything. There's one place left but their selection isn't great because their payout isn't so great. It's going to hurt if they close.

FWIW, scrap steel is heading down in price and some analysts are predicting $0 per ton by Christmas. Maybe the "I won't deal" type yards will have a change of heart soon?

ony
10-29-2015, 04:35 AM
this is kindof off the subject, some forums don't seam to like things when you get close to helping someone fix their vehechale other than the adminstaters, I love this forum it wants ever ones wisdom on a subject I wont say case in point I just feel sorry for the man trying to fix a electricale issue when it sound like a mechanical issue. :mad1:

1project2many
11-23-2015, 11:11 PM
Yep... we grow 'em here too.

https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/5303145362.html

steveo
11-24-2015, 11:22 PM
my new winter shoes

255/75/16 truck rears, 205/50/16 passenger car fronts.

my neck feels a bit red right now.

1project2many
11-24-2015, 11:29 PM
lol... I did that with a set of Desert Duelers on a 73 Omega many, many years ago.

RobertISaar
11-24-2015, 11:48 PM
I've done this a bit as well.... only 235/75-15s in place of 205/70-15s though, nowhere near as dramatic.

1project2many
12-04-2015, 08:11 AM
Test setup to file ring end gaps. Ring being used is from an old air compressor. 14" cutoff wheel is attached to brake lathe and ring is clamped to rotor cutting attachment.

Six_Shooter
12-04-2015, 05:18 PM
That seems excessive...

I once made on out of some threaded rod a wide piece of U channel and a cut off disc for a grinder...

1project2many
12-25-2015, 06:04 AM
Found an ad for an '87 Monte Carlo with Edelbrock Performance Everything. Can't seem to find a performance Everything in the Edelbrock catalog though.

dave w
02-17-2016, 02:10 AM
I've been working in CAD to relocate the crank trigger to the distributor. Its a sandwich design, add the crank trigger between the distributor base and distributor cap. See attached pics. Proto-type is in the machine shop.

dave w

JeepsAndGuns
02-17-2016, 02:43 AM
Interesting. I am assuming that is for the vortec engines? Or more specifically, for older engines wanting to run the vortec fuel injection that would originally have the 4x crank trigger?

dave w
02-17-2016, 03:14 AM
Interesting. I am assuming that is for the vortec engines? Or more specifically, for older engines wanting to run the vortec fuel injection that would originally have the 4x crank trigger? The design shown is for the Vortec. My goal is "Bolt On OBD2" 4x for all Domestic V8's 1967 & up. See attached proto-type.

dave w

steveo
04-02-2016, 06:06 AM
i got my bike back on the road and decided to start modifying my old honda 4 banger a bit, a bit of porting, new headers, pipe, intake, etc.

totally broke the VE in its factory sealed ecm. small high revving engines are really sensitive. now i'm seriously lean in the first 4000rpm (basically it's all air, feels like 1ft/lb of torque), making driving in traffic a challenge. but everything above 4000 it takes off like a monster and hits fuel cut at 190mph+ like it needs more gear. fun but not practical.

this is oldschool honda, so the ecm is pretty much welded shut, so you have to go either standalone or piggyback. i found a really awesome oldschool fi tuning tool from the past on ebay for 20 bucks. blast from the past.

these were the s#%t back in the early 2000s when fuel injection hit sportbikes, then people started wanting 3d tuning.

the most caveman simple fuel controller, it connects in parallel with your injectors, and tries to simulate carb tuning ranges with three potentiometers by reading incoming pulsewidth and extending it slightly

basically turn one of three screws to jack up fuel at low, mid, or high rpm. might be like a sledgehammer instead of a wrench, but it'll be nice to tune with a screwdriver instead of a computer for a change.

dave w
04-08-2016, 02:50 AM
I've been working in CAD to relocate the crank trigger to the distributor. Its a sandwich design, add the crank trigger between the distributor base and distributor cap. See attached pics. Proto-type is in the machine shop.

dave w

Update photo.

dave w

steveo
04-08-2016, 05:16 AM
looks pro so far!

JeepsAndGuns
04-10-2016, 03:47 PM
Nice work. Really interesting.
Too bad we cant do CNP like that.

dave w
04-10-2016, 04:47 PM
Nice work. Really interesting.
Too bad we cant do CNP like that.All is not lost on CNP, I'm thinking a Large Cap HEI diameter distributor would be needed for the 48x CNP trigger wheel. I've kicked around the idea of having the CKP and CMP sensors bottom mounted vs. side mounted like the distributor pictured for the 48x trigger wheel. The challenge is keeping the trigger wheel small enough for the CKP sensor to achieve 6000 RPM resolution, yet be a piratical diameter like the large cap HEI diameter. The thought I have, is an almost $1000 custom 48x distributor marketable? The CKP sensor housing pictured is nearly $200, because the material I selected was high temperature nylon - glass filled. The 3D printing process I used to make the CKP housing printed is called Selective Laser Sintering (SLS) http://www.3dsystems.com/quickparts/prototyping-pre-production/selective-laser-sintering-sls

dave w

JeepsAndGuns
04-12-2016, 02:35 AM
is an almost $1000 custom 48x distributor marketable?

That's going to be a tough one. I guess it depends on the potential buyers. I know me personally, that would be out of my price range. But others, with limited options for mounting one on the crank/balancer, it might be a viable option.

dave w
04-12-2016, 03:52 AM
That's going to be a tough one. I guess it depends on the potential buyers. I know me personally, that would be out of my price range. But others, with limited options for mounting one on the crank/balancer, it might be a viable option.

It comes down to quantity, if the production was say 10,000 48x distributors, the price would be about the same as other aftermarket performance distributors.

dave w

1BadAction
04-19-2016, 08:37 PM
I'm looking into driving a MS3, full sequential and using coil near plug with 8.1 valve covers and coils... I've toyed with the idea of doing my own using my billet MSD dizzy as a base.

mytmouz
04-21-2016, 08:18 PM
I just checked and although I come on this board nearly every day I haven't actually posted since Jan. of 2015. Thanks to everyone that helped me in the past and keep up the good work...

dave w
05-21-2016, 06:23 PM
Couple pics of my crank trigger bench testing. Seems to work on the bench. The pic showing 2466 RPM's is the max speed my electric drill can spin the distributor.

dave w