PDA

View Full Version : Whatever!!!!!!!!! Gearhead-EFI Edition

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

JeepsAndGuns
04-25-2012, 02:38 PM
The deck wheels are "anti scalp" wheels. They are not intended, or designed to ride on the ground. The deck cutting height is set by the linkage that holds the deck under the mower and raises and lowers it. It has a knob between your legs in front of the seat that you turn to adjuat cutting height. Once you get the cutting height set to what you want, you adjust the deck wheel height. You adjust them to where there is atleast the thickness of your fingers or more between them and the ground. What they do is prevent the deck from digging into the ground when you hit a hole, or uneven spot on the ground with your mowers tires. The deck wheel will ride on the ground and support the deck while you go over the bump, therefore preventing it from digging into the ground. All JD mowers are designed this way. And most all other brands of mowers I see are also made this way. Its a commom misconception that the wheels are supposed to ride on the ground. They are not.
We get lots of mowers into the shop with worn out wheels and compaints they have to replace them so often. We then have to explain to them what I just explained above. Most get it and then they are fine after that. But some are thick headed and refuse to accept it and continue to let them ride on the ground, and then continue to gripe to us about them wearing out.
The only mowing decks I have seen with wheels actually designed to ride on the ground, are finish mowers. They mount on the 3 point hitch on the rear of a tractor and run off the pto.

1project, what mowers do you have?

EagleMark
04-25-2012, 03:30 PM
That explains why the deck wheels are only on the ground at lowest setting of deck. But actually shouldn't be...

1project2many
04-25-2012, 08:17 PM
I have a Bolens H16XL, 1980s vintage. Not JD quality but far better than much of the junk on the market today. My mower has a hydraulic lift to raise and lower the deck but there is no way to use the lift to consistently set the deck height at anything but full up or full down. The rear wheels of the deck are attached to a height adjustment lever. According to the manual the front of the deck will always be at a fixed height (IIRC it's about 2") from level ground at full lowered position and the height adjustment lever in the rear sets the mowing height. The wheels are worn out but they've seen many, many years of service.

I had a very cheap (free, actually) MTD '90s vintage but come to think of it that deck had no wheels. For a short time I had a Yamaha rider (very nice but impossible to buy parts for) which I didn't use much but I did maintain for the neighbor across the street when it was his. That deck operated similarly to the Bolens. And for a few years I was responsible for Grandpa's late '60s Cub Cadet which I believe ran the wheels on the gound all the time. With this limited experience I confess I could also be an idiot owner if I bought up a JD rider. OTOH I do try and make sure I obtain and read the manual for every tool I own.

Edit: Just checked the manual. Front height is adjusted by changing length of leveling rods after cutting height lever is positioned. Deck is supposed to be level within 1/8" front to back.

RobertISaar
04-25-2012, 08:27 PM
yeah, MTD..... i spent many years on one of those mowing my dad's gigantic lawn.

JeepsAndGuns
04-28-2012, 02:26 AM
Amazing what a little elbow grease and some polishing compound can do.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/JeepsAndGuns/2012-04-27073931.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/JeepsAndGuns/2012-04-27073950.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/JeepsAndGuns/2012-04-27074010.jpg

1project2many
04-28-2012, 05:50 PM
That's a $5k to $7k mower!!!?? I just can't fathom it. But it looks like it's in great shape and it should provide some nice spending cash for you. Good score.

JeepsAndGuns
04-29-2012, 02:29 AM
This is the largest lawn mower JD makes before you step up to a actual compact tractor. Salesman at the dealership said this was about a $10,000 mower when new. Thats with the deck. These are actually sold without the deck, the customer has to choose what size deck they want, and its extra. The bigger the deck, the more expensive. Without the deck I think it was around $9000-9500.
http://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/000/1/1/112-john-deere-x585.html

Current model equil to it is the X728. A new one of those, with the same 62 inch deck will run you about 12k. 10k without the deck.

Six_Shooter
04-29-2012, 05:49 AM
Well, I tuned two vehicles today.

A 1992 Chev pick up, that was originally a 5.0L manual, now has an '84 Corvette 350, headers, custom true dual exhaust. Swapped in a 1227747 before the last session, since I was tired of having the 16146299 fight me, or at least seemed that way. After only a few hours total, between the last session and this one, BLMs are +5/-6 in most areas. :D Just cold start to tune, but that will take a few attempts and feedback from the owner.

The other is the 1971 Olds Cutlass that a friend of mine owns, been tuning it for a few years, on and off. There have been changes made over that time, like new and bigger cam, new fuel system, new home made TB, with a different fuel feed layout than previously, etc. It's an Olds 455, with ported heads, stout bottom end, big bump stick (said to be too big for EFI), the custom 4bbl throttle body, headers, 4L80E, etc, etc. I've had it idle pretty well at around 650 RPM, but the last few days it just didn't want to run well at all at that RPM, so it's now at 875 to 900 RPM idle. There was also an issue with a hole at idle to WOT whack, then it hit me, I wasn't tuning the correct part of the AE vs delta MAP table. :facepalm: That hole is pretty much gone. I would still like to get the idle a little lower at some point though.

EagleMark
04-29-2012, 02:37 PM
2 in one day? Your doing better then me! I fought one all day yesterday, get closer and need more fuel, get closer and need more fuel, finally hit 105 VE and looked back at first log... Hmmmm? Check fuel pressure and it's fine, was about to hook up my gauge with extension to windsheild wiper and look at exteranal pump pre filter and it's plugged!!! :mad1: Start over, run out of gas at 1/4 tank.... get a full tank, finish tune, do final WOT run with wide band and at about 110 MPH a deer decides to cross the road, light breaking puts me in other lane (later owner said only has front brakes, and drums at that... :mad1:.), deer jumps straight up and I swear went over car...

Have you done anymore work to $85.xdf? I got one to do Tuesday.

Six_Shooter
04-29-2012, 03:35 PM
Yeah, my WBO2 got a work out yesterday. lol Just shy of 2 hours in the pick up, and about 5 hours in the Cutlass.

I haven't done any more work on the XDF, though I did download the hac yesterday, since I think there might be a few things missing from it.

If the engine has an EFI friendly cam, and smaller intake runners than the Torker intake I'm dealing with the current XDF should have everything you need.

I think I'm just fighting a large bumpstick and large runners, causing the fuel to fall out of suspension at low RPM. It seemed this caused the engine to hang at just under 2000 RPM for a bit, after hitting the throttle after idling for a while. With the higher idle RPM, this hang doesn't happen.

EagleMark
04-29-2012, 04:19 PM
When I looked at it IIRC the bitmasks needed a lot of work, but then I forget if it was the $85 or $DB. Still never sorted them out but have XDF and hack for each but both are titled $85.

Sounds like you are getting a soaking wet intake... then you come off idle rich, then settles in? Open throttle blades as much as you can for very little IAC counts. May want to give up the low idle?

The one I'm doing this week is new 502 cammed and intake but small and dual plane, headers. Said it runs fine just no improvement from old stock 454. Tow rig so should be easy, have an adjustable regulator ready cause it will probably need more fuel.

Tunedperformance
04-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Isaiah 40:29-31
New International Version (NIV)

29 He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.
30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
31 but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

This waa on a coin my wife gave me in the hospital during my first back surgery when I thought all I had in my future was a wheelchair. Well three back surgeries later on four disks after the rear ended car accident I am still not in a wheel chair.

And know you know where the Eagle in EagleMark comes from. :rockon:

Wow, Eagle mark. This was the passage my wife designed my wedding ring after. I have also been through the bad car crash deal and It has been two month since my last surgery. Pain's not all gone but Im not restricted to bed 24 7.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2920526204761&set=t.1008971626&type=3&theater

EagleMark
04-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Sorry to hear that... back surgeries are no fun but do relieve pain, problem is recovery takes a long time and you are much weaker from all down time and recovery time. Then you feel better and overdo it and end up hurting again. Reorganize your life for more exercise and physical therapy, less hard labor!. Really have to make this a six month to year project or you'll be hurting again! Baby steps! I've been through this to many times! Been ten years since my last back surgery, which was my third! One disc at a time...

Also get off the pain pills as soon as possible, take as little as possible for recovery and find some anti inflammatory like Ibuprofen. Hot showers in morning. Recovery from opiates is like living in hell... pain is nothing compared to this...

RobertISaar
04-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Recovery from opiates is like living in hell... pain is nothing compared to this...

morphine is some wonderfully effective stuff. unfortunately, it does have the side effect if being ridiculously addictive.

Tunedperformance
04-30-2012, 09:22 PM
yeh, coming off morphine sucks, hot flashes head aches and other un unmentionables stuff with the stomach. I just use vicodon when the weather changes and the arthritis acts up. My disc was smashed down to 4mm and now im at 8mm, good to have the relief off my spine and I can feel my fingers again. Thanks for the tips eaglemark, massage therapy helps alot as well. I have a pretty neat ball joint deal in c5-6 I think the link showed up. Im on dial up again for a few days. Lol,

RobertISaar
04-30-2012, 09:25 PM
oddly, the only thing vicodin does for me is it makes a certain part of me numb.... :innocent2:

and that part has never been the one in pain.

RobertISaar
05-02-2012, 03:53 AM
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2012/04/drinking_hand_sanitizer_do_different_forms_of_alco hol_get_you_drunk_in_different_ways_.html

so apparently kids are drinking hand sanitizer these days....

and i thought Jaegger was bad.

1project2many
05-02-2012, 04:14 AM
After my back surgery I stopped taking pain pills. They are what helped me ignore the pain and make the situation worse. My injury was from overwork and from not allowing my body to heal when I should have. Damn slave driver... From time to time I will take an Aleve when things are really bad but overall if my body's hurting more than normal that's the sign that I'm doing too much or doing something wrong. My right leg still gets cramped, the bottom of my right foot feels like it's supporting a thousand pounds while balancing on a baseball if I'm driving, and I get all sorts of strange tingles that remind me that every day walking and active is a day to be used well.

For anyone healthy, please remember to take care of yourself. We're all invincible until the day we get broken, then we realize just how fragile we really are.

And hand sanitizer??? What the...?

RobertISaar
05-02-2012, 05:52 AM
i'd do the whole "kids today" thing, but being 23, i don't think i'm entitled to it yet. :laugh:

+10 man points to them though, i couldn't drink an alcohol-laden gel that must taste........ actually i can't think of what it would taste like based off of the smell and ingredients.

EagleMark
05-02-2012, 06:56 AM
Can you imagine the small amount of alcohol in hand sanitizer? Or is there some other ingredient making them high? I'm not going to read it, just dumb!

My son is now 18, I can't even get him to take a vitamin or aspirin because of what happened to me from doctor prescribed medicine!

He knew kids in school (before we pulled him out of school to home school) that burned out their brains on spray paint huffing? He said they used to be normal kids, now they are zombies and never recovered. Very sad to see a young persons life forever ruined because of a stupid idea for a buzz? Where do they get these ideas?

RobertISaar
05-02-2012, 07:02 AM
i would blame the internet, but i know back in the old days ideas had other ways of spreading.

the bottle of hand sanitizer i have nearby is 62% ethanol by volume... that's 124 proof, if you could somehow choke it down.

kinda reminds me of the vodka soaked tampon craze that the media went all rabid over for a few weeks a couple of years ago...

where people get these ideas, i'll never know.

EagleMark
05-02-2012, 07:38 AM
I am so lucky that when I was a kid adults would buy you a six pack per 2 kids, that's it... I don't know where they got this rule but it seemed all adults knew it, worked fine, tasted horrible but just enough for a good buzz and just enough for a horrible hangover! But no permanent brain or body damage... i think... ahhh... can't remember... what were we talking about... oh nevermind... :laugh:

1project2many
05-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Studies show if you lose it early enough you'll never know it's gone. :)

EagleMark
05-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Know when what's gone?

I must be getting old cause my memory is fading... they say as you get older you loose three things, but I forget what they are?

OK enough joking. I feel like going up to the high school and middle school and offering any kid with a bright idea to get high on household chemicals 3 beers if they don't! Ha! can you imagine how many kids would show up with ideas for beers? That could be the name of the program "Ideas for Beers!"

1project2many
05-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Sounds like part of "No sober child left behind."

I found hen's teeth this week. Picked up an original sway bar for my '57 pickup. They were only available on suburbans and panel trucks originally and there aren't many around. Now the trick is finding bushings and end links. The bushings were discontinued in February 1970 and the end links in May of '72. Sad part is I don't think I'm going to like it's performance. But I'll try it and see how it goes.

Six_Shooter
05-04-2012, 02:50 AM
As of today, I know first hand what it's like to be suffocating while standing in a room full of air.

I was opening a new container of Helmaprene glue (it's like contact cement, only way stronger) today, and when I peeled the little cap open, the glue exploded in my face, covering the left side and glued both of my eyes shut. Luckily I was wearing my glasses, and they were enough to keep from getting any glue in my eyes. The scariest part, was the inability to breathe in any oxygen, the glue, since it had sprayed on my face, covering my nose, upper lip, and chin, completely dissipated the oxygen around my nose and mouth, so I was literally suffocating while standing in a room full of air. Luckily one of my co-workers was nearby and helped me get to the eye wash station, and clean the glue off my face. I started hyper ventilating because of the lack of oxygen. Once the water was able to wash some of it away, I was able to breathe more normally.
It took me over an hour to clean the glue off my face, and glasses, and I know I've still missed some.

From now, I'll be wearing a face shield whenever I have to open a new pail of anything, especially that glue.

I had to trim down my goatee though with some creative trimming, I was able to keep a good portion of it.

My face was burning from the reaction to the glue for a long while after I even got it off, the skin is still sensitive.

JeepsAndGuns
05-04-2012, 03:18 AM
I feel your pain. Last year while at work I got a high pressure spray (think wide open water hose nozzle) of methanol sprayed onto my face and in both my eyes. My eyes were about the only thing it really hurt. I was instantly blinded after it hit me, was burning like crazy. My hands, arms and shirt were also wet with it so I couldnt wipe any off. And being blinded by it, I couldnt see anything to get to a sink to wash it out. I stood there wipeing my eyes and blinking like mad till I got just barely enough blurryness to see where I was going (shop was full of equipment) I finally made it to the sink and preceeded to sticking my head under the faucet and flushing my eyes. I was doing that when a coworker found me. I thought once I got it washed out I would be ok. I wasnt. My eyes started swelling shut and still burning and feeling like sandy pepper spray was in my eyes. Off we go to the ER. I set there for like half a hour in the room with my eyes on fire before they do anything. They take these suction cups and open my eyelids and stick them right on my eyeballs and flush a bag of saline through each eye and send me on home. I cant hardly see anything but a blur, eyes burn and sandy feeling. Co worker has to drive me home. If I want to see anything I have to take my fingers and open my eyelids, as they are swolen shut. Didnt get much sleep that night. Coworker takes me to the eye doctor the ER told me to go to I have to hold his arm and let him lead me around, as I was still to blurry to see much and still swolen shut, and still burned and sandy feeling. He checks me over and basicly I just burnt off the top layer of my eyes, and should heal up and be ok. I get eyedrops and some type of gel goo to put in my eyes for a week.
I cant remember, but I think it was 2-3 days before I could go back to work, mabey more. I just had to hang out around the house with all the windows closed and blocked off so it was dark, as light made the hurt more. First day I spent the whole day laying on the sofa in pain not able to do much anything.

I Still to this day get sick to my stomach if I get a smell of that stuff.

EagleMark
05-04-2012, 04:42 AM
That's some scary situations! Specially when it comes to the eyes, let alone chemicals! Hope you guys recover!

I've been to ER 3 times in last 5-6 years with small pieces of metal from grinding, with safety glasses or face shield, twice was taking face shield off without first blowing myself clean... once with safety glasses while grinding... what's the chance of getting the same ER doc 3 times in 5 years? He looks at me and says... "not again"...

RobertISaar
05-04-2012, 04:55 AM
i think the worst thing i've had in my eyes was a shot of gasoline....

was playing with a carb on a bike, kept having rust plugging up the little filter on the fuel inlet. i had been blowing it out using compressed air. don't know how, but i managed to spray some right back at my face along with some rust. i ran my ass up to the house with my eyes closed and was flushing my face with the bathtub for quite some time.

RobertISaar
05-04-2012, 07:07 AM
so, cough syrup seems to be mildly halucenegenic?

had some wildly vivid dreams last night.

EagleMark
05-04-2012, 07:14 AM
i think the worst thing i've had in my eyes was a shot of gasoline....

was playing with a carb on a bike, kept having rust plugging up the little filter on the fuel inlet. i had been blowing it out using compressed air. don't know how, but i managed to spray some right back at my face along with some rust. i ran my ass up to the house with my eyes closed and was flushing my face with the bathtub for quite some time.I used to keep an eye cup near the sink so I could grab it when I got stuff in my eyes. But have since got real consistent with safety glasses and have not used it in years. My friend and I once came home and opened the garage door to find rotten egg smell, we had a battery charging... he got to it before me and as I was yelling NNNNOOOOOO!!!!! he pulled the cable of and created a spark which ignited the hydrogen gas and the battery exploded. We were both in the shower fully clothed washing battery acid off...

This thread is turning into GearHead bloopers...

so, cough syrup seems to be mildly halucenegenic?

had some wildly vivid dreams last night.Did you find that in the kids get high on..... website?

RobertISaar
05-04-2012, 07:18 AM
ha, no, just what i've experienced. i have quite the spontaneous sore throat, bad enough to make me get to the point of vomitting from coughing.

EagleMark
05-04-2012, 07:31 AM
Have I mentioned the time my freinds step son drove his brand new Yamaha Grizzly 660 quad into a lake while drunk? They went back to get quad in daylight next day... he came back on Navy leave to find it would not turn over? Step son had moved out... we found out what happened months later. I pulled the plug and motor turned over pushing water out the cylinder? Crankcase full of water... exhaust pipe full of water... some 20 hours of maintenece later it was running. After draining engine and exhaust and cylinder and axles, pressure lubed cables and and and ... I had flushed the motor with gas and threw the oil filter (drained) in garbage can, flushed motor with oil couple times.

Next day while grinding some sparks went in garbage can (with oil filter that had gas fumes settled in can)... BOOOOOOM!!! blew the wall of garage out an inch or so behind it about five feet either side of garbage can, had to nail back on, blew front of garbage can off across garage with garbage everywhere, lucky i was not in path and I had garage door open or damage to garage and house could have been worse. I was wearing ear muffs so no hearing loss.

EagleMark
05-04-2012, 07:33 AM
i have quite the spontaneous sore throatah you tried the hand sanitizer... :laugh:

RobertISaar
05-04-2012, 07:37 AM
at least if i did, i would have some kind of reason why i suddenly sound like christian bale portraying batman.

but i'm quite clueless as to what set it off.

JeepsAndGuns
05-04-2012, 03:03 PM
I have fully recovered from the methanol in my eyes. Its definately not something I ever want to do again.
I have had my share of stuff in my eyes, from gas to carb cleaner and other bits of dirt and dust. Only had to go one time to the hospital and get a peice of grit taken out. I was using a kinda sanding/buffing wheel on my dremel tool and was wearing saftey glasses. But somehow a peice of grit flew up under my glasses and lodged in my eye.

Also a few weeks ago I went to a guys house to look at his lawn mower. He had been fooling around with himself and had taken the fuel line loose from the fuel pump, among other things. Said it wouldnt start, I didnt notice the fuel line was off. So I get my spark tester, pull the plug wire, hook it on and turn the key to see if it was getting any spark. I turned the key about 2 seconds and see its getting spark, and as soon as I let off the key, balmmo, the engine fires right up and sets there purring like a kitten at fast idle. I then see the large stream of gas getting pumed out of the pump all over the side of the engine. I turn the key off real quick, but guess what, it doesnt shut offf!! First reaction, pull the spark plug wire off, as soon as I grab my spark tester and pull it off, it of course sparks and whoosh, a sudden fireball engulfs the mower, and its still running!! and pumping fuel!!! I quickly run to the other side and pull the other spark plug wire off and we try and smother it with a tarp. That didnt work. So I high tail it to my jeep and grab my fire extenguisher.
If I hadnt have had that, it would have burnt the mower, AND his entire barn to the ground!

Xenon
05-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Jeez!!! Sounds exciting I guess :laugh:

EagleMark
05-04-2012, 07:21 PM
Wish we had video of that! Sounds like he messed with wires on the key switch!

Can you imagine the fuel fire from EFI pressure leak?

1project2many
05-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Customer brings me a Vette to tune. He'd built his own large cap HEI external coil conversion and used a small screw through the HEI coil cover to hold the copper strip conducting spark to the center button. I connected my ignition scope and grabbed the shop fuel pressure gauge as part of the basic checks, connect it to the rail, then crank the car. Well, someone lost or removed the O ring from the fuel pressure gauge so fuel sprays out over the glass and the roof. Meanwhile the homemade coil adapter is sparking to my ignition scope coil lead. Great! Now I've got fire on the engine, the windshield, and the roof of the car. Since I've only been at the shop for a few weeks I don't know where the fire extinguisher is. I start shouting for someone to get one. The shop foreman wants to play forty questions. "Why? What's up? Is something wrong?" I yell that the car's on fire with a lotta blankety blanks in between the nice words and he panics. So now I've got a fiberglass car burning behind me and no lie, the shop foreman's running back and forth in front of the fire extinguisher yelling "Fire! Fire! Someone get a fire extinguisher!" Just as I spotted the extinguisher the other shop tech grabbed it and we put the fire out.

Luckily it had been raining earlier in the day and the water on the car prevented any damage to the finish. A couple wires got melted but I repaired them. I let the owner know I wasn't happy with the coil adapter as it should have had some insulation so it couldn't spark. But I never did trust the shop foreman in a crisis after that. I also bought my own high quality fuel pressure gauge which I have never loaned out since. But the best part was about two weeks later. The other tech and I were on a road test and I called back to the shop. When the shop foreman answered I got this panicked tone to my voice and said "Quick! The car's on fire! I need the number to 911! " Without hesitation he said "Holy S**t! Uhh... Uhh... I don't know! Call 411 and ask them! QUICK!"

EagleMark
05-04-2012, 08:25 PM
:laugh:

JeepsAndGuns
05-05-2012, 03:15 AM
Umm wow.
Sounds like that shop needs a new foreman! :laugh:

I have seen some jurry-rigging. You think people are bad with the rigging they do on their cars, you should see their lawn mowers....lol

Another story, this was just a couple months ago. I was testing a old stihl chainsaw I fixed. We have a old teliphone pole laying out back I have been using to cut on for testing repairs. Well this is a older med sized stihl and its running like a scalded cat, just screaming like mad, this thing is a beast! They had a yellow chain on it and I rev it up and put light pressure on the pole and it cuts and throws chips like mad, like a hot knife through butter, this thing is awesome. I move about a inch and take another swipe, and I feel something hit the shin on my right leg, felt just like a weedeater kicked a rock up. I figured thats what happened, it just caught a rock and slung it. I look down and see a large nail stuck in my pants leg. Not stuck in my leg, just my pants. I was like HA, pull it out and walk back inside. As I'm walking back in, my leg hurts a little more, figured it just hit me and left a knot. Pull up my pants leg and see a quarter sized bloody spot and a hole in my sock. Humm. Ahh, it just nicked me I figure. I only had another hour before going home, and it wasnt hurting too bad.
I get home and take off my sock and it actually poked a hole in me. The nail was about 1/4in in dia. And it must have hit my leg right on the tip, cause it poked me better than I thought. I wash it off with some hydrogen peroxide and stick a bandaid and some neosporin on it and call it good. As the night went on, it starts hurting, by bed time it was kinda sore, and just a tiny but swolen. Still swolen and sore the next morning. I cleaned it again and put on a new bandaid and go on into work. By luch time my whole shin from my ankle to my knee was starting to hurt, and couldnt hardly move my leg in some directions. Swelling was getting worse, was getting warm to the touch, and just barely starting to turn red. I knew by then it was getting infected. As soon as 5 rolls around I leave work and go straight to the urgent care. Doc takes one look and says yep, its infected. It was really really sore by then, I was actually starting to limp just a bit. He then procedes to take a gauze and starts wipeing it real hard and squeezing on it, killing me, and me cussing a bit but taking it. No puss or anything like that ever came out, it didnt get that bad. Next thing he did about killed me. He takes one of those long wood q-tips, dips it in hydrogen peroxide, and I think he was just gonna wipe it off, but then he procedes to ram the q-tip off IN the hole in my leg! Twisting it, reaming it and pushing it in there. Did nothing to numb it. My whole leg was throbbing, my head was throbbing and I bet my face was as red as my jeep, cause it sure felt like it. He did that not once, but twice!
Worst part, was he said I had to do that twice a day for a week! Got the shot in the arm, and some antibiotics.
It was bad enough someone else doing it, now imigine having to do it to yourself! BLEH That week sucked!

JeepsAndGuns
05-14-2012, 02:45 AM
Spent a couple hours today fixing my PS3. I was playing it just fine with no problems last night. Go to turn it on at lunch today to watch some top gear on netflix while I eat. I turn it on, get the normal beep, then suddenly 3 more beeps and a flashing red light. CRAP. I power off, then back on, unplug everything. Nothing makes it come on right, and I still have my game disc in there! Owners manual says flashing red light is overheating. I know thats not right cause its been off all night.
A little google work shows its the red light of death, same as the red ring of death on the xbox 360. Soder joints on the cpu/gpu have broken and caused a bad connection. Needs to be reflowed. Couple hours later I have a fixed PS3. WHEW! what a relief.
No stranger to this. I had to do the same thing to my crapbox (I mean xbox) 360 last year. My first 360 broke while still under warrenty. Sent in and got a refurb back. Year later new one breaks, so I decide to fit it myself. Probably has 40-50 hours on it since repair and still holding. In total since getting it from microsoft, probably less than 100 hours. Forgot to mention the problems I had with the HDD too. Theres a reason I dont play it much and call it a crapbox....lol
Now the PS3 has been a true trooper. I bought it right after launch (early 2007) and have played it atleast 1-4 hours a day, almost every single day since then. Like 5 years of flawless service. Now a quick easy fix gets it back in the game (no pun...lol)
:jfj:

Six_Shooter
05-14-2012, 03:56 AM
I don't understand how all of these people have trouble with their Xboxes.

I got mine at the Christmas (2009) after the release of MW2 (MW2 edition Xbox), GF bought it for me, in November, then made me wait until Christmas to use it. *shakes fist* I have hundreds of hours of play on it, I'd hate to tally it all up, but just in FPS games I know I have 100+ hours on it, then all of my 3rd person adventure (Tomb Raider), car racing (Forza3, 4, Dirt 2, 3, etc), Not to mention my rhythm game play, I probably have 100 hours just playing Rock Band 3 alone. Then there is the video watching, Top Gear alone, 15 seasons at 8 episodes per season, that's 120 hours there too, then other TV series (about 90 hours of Quantum Leap) and movies. I wouldn't be surprised if I have 4 digits in hours on my Xbox.
I have only had one (significant) problem with it and that was one morning after leaving it on watching a movie, I got an orange ring, don't recall what that meant, but I turned it off for a few hours while I went to work, and it has worked fine ever since. A few times lately the WiFi adapter seems to stop working shortly after turning the system on, but then unplugging and plugging the WiFi adapter back in seems to work fine.

I do everything I'm "not supposed to," like leave the system on for hours at a time, place objects on it, play for hours on end on hot days, etc.

Now my system will crap out the next time I play it. lol

1project2many
05-14-2012, 04:23 AM
Today I spent an hour or so drilling holes in lawnmower blades. There's no high lift blades available for my old rider so I used a Husqvarnia blade kit and put new mounting holes in it. The trick to drilling holes in a blade (or in any spring steel) is to keep the heat away. Drill a small pilot hole then use a carbide tipped blade at low speed and stop to cool it as often as possible. It also helps greatly to have a drill press as it can take a lot of pressure for a long time. Tomorrow I try the blades and see how things go.

Tunedperformance
05-14-2012, 05:04 AM
The snapper lift wing worker great on my dixon ztr 30" I didnt have too grind off much to balance out the blade made a huge difference. Now my farthest bag from the chute get full first. ;)

JeepsAndGuns
05-19-2012, 02:22 AM
Last saturday was our demo day at work. We brought out 8 gators and 3 tractors to the local OHV park for people to try out. The gators we let them drive around a atv racetrack they built there. We had a few 825i with that sweet 50hp mpfi 3 cyl engine, a 625i (same as the 825, except with a 2cyl fuel injected kawasaki engine) and a 855D, same as the other two, but with a 3cyl yanmar diesel. We also had a couple of the new cheaper 550's and 1 550 S4 (4 seater) They were all brand new when we started...lol.
I finally got to take one of the 825i's out and open it up! We started off slow and didnt have many lookers, we figured people were thinking they were just there to look at and not drive. So they told me to go take a couple laps in one to get peoples attention. WOOT. Those things are a blast, its crazy what the suspension on those soak up and you hardly feel it. Had the thing with all 4 wheels off the ground several times. Wish I had gotten someone to record me doing a lap.
After it was over we got to take them out into the park itself and have some fun. I took a 825i, and a coworker/friend took the 550 S4, not sure why. They are long and high center easy. Another coworker rode with him. After taking a few trails, we come to a closed gate at a bridge, and instead of turning around, he decides to take a left and go through this mudhole and burries it. We have to leave him, go back to the truck, get a chain, and then find him again....lol
By that time another two in another 825i found him and we all just had some fun.
After I pull him out, he decides to go back in, so I pull out my phone and take a few videos. I'll let them show the funny mess....lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2RYMCWiygQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baNZCKxTjag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaLZ5gUkl9Y

RobertISaar
05-19-2012, 02:28 AM
We had a few 825i with that sweet 50hp mpfi 3 cyl engine

.... that's geo metro territory. :laugh:

1project2many
05-19-2012, 01:45 PM
So did anyone who didn't work with you get to demo a Gator?

JeepsAndGuns
05-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Yea, lots of people got to drive them around the atv track. The event was from 8-2. After 2 is when we got to take them out in the park. Customers only got to test drive on the atv track, not the park itself.

Robert, the engine is a DOHC, 12 valve (thats 4 a cyl!) sequencial MPFI with DIS. Even has a knock sensor. They are made by Cherry, witch is some car company in china. From what I read on the internet, this is basicly the same engine they have used in one of their mini cars....lol
I know its a sweet little engine. I wish we could hack and tune the ecm in it, the IAC logic in it sucks! Takes it way to long to drop back to idle. After you stop, you have to wait a couple of seconds before you cant shift out of gear easy, because its holding the idle too high.

RobertISaar
05-20-2012, 12:10 AM
dump factory ECM? :D

EagleMark
05-20-2012, 02:30 AM
GM ECM tractor! :jfj:

RobertISaar
05-20-2012, 02:32 AM
i'd do it.

i mean, what's the worst that could happen?

JeepsAndGuns
05-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Void the warrenty...lol

It would probably be easyer to try and hack the ecm already on it, then convert to another one. Who knows what type of CPS signals it has, doubt you would find a gm ecm that would work with it. Plus, find a 3cyl gm ecm and dis module..lol

Funny thing is, these have a OBD2 ALDL plug for diagnostics, but they do not use obd2 language/interface/whatever you call it. Its proprietary to JD and their software. Not sure if the ecm is prom or flash based, as I have never had one out.

EagleMark
05-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Piece of cake, we'll figure it out!

Not sure if the ecm is prom or flash based, as I have never had one out.

Well? What are you waiting for? :laugh:

Do they come with cable and software to reflash updates?

JeepsAndGuns
05-20-2012, 04:07 PM
I dont own one, so it makes it hard to fiddle with one. Cant really just go up front and start taking the dash out of a new one just to see the ecm...lol

There is a cable, but our dealership doesnt have one yet. I keep telling them to get me one because sooner or later, we are gonna get one in with a CEL and I will need to hook up to it. There hasnt been any updates released, so I dont know if its flashable or not. But like tractors, you can hook to it with JD's software and make a "live" connection and record data (datalog...lol) But without the cable I cant do it. But the software is super limited on what you can change in the ecm's, most all of them its nothing, and all you can do is read diagnostic data.

EagleMark
05-20-2012, 04:56 PM
I thought you had one? Or was it not the EFI model?

We could be the first to add nitrous to a John Deere... :laugh:

Or at least add some PE and take away goveners etc...

Before!

http://youtu.be/PTw1ZVsV0Qo

After!

http://youtu.be/JZiLxU0-7s4

1project2many
05-20-2012, 07:56 PM
Datalogging a lawn tractor. That's funny to think about. I can just imagine trying to chase down a driveability bug at .5 mph. "It only happens when I round the south end of the lawn, early in the morning." Sorry, just seems funny!

FWIW, it looks like the cable for larger tractors may be similar to heavy truck datalog cables. Here's a project to analyze data from a generic datalogger using a JD tractor.
http://ijrte.academypublisher.com/vol01/no03/ijrte0103206212.pdf

If the small units use the same J1939 protocol then you can likely find a cheap cable somewhere.

JeepsAndGuns
05-20-2012, 09:35 PM
No, I've never owned one, or any gator.

Not sure I would add nitrous, but I think it would be sweet to add a small turbo!

We actually can datalog a lawn mower now. JD just came out with the Z925EFI. It has a full closed loop fuel injection system, we can make live connections to it and read/clear DTC's and other data.

RobertISaar
05-20-2012, 10:14 PM
..... i want MPFI lawn/yard equipment.....

but it absolutely must be tweakable, and not via the EFIE type of crap that people still manage to sell somehow...

Six_Shooter
05-20-2012, 11:02 PM
Efie?

RobertISaar
05-20-2012, 11:06 PM
http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/efie-described

basically an overpriced voltage shifter for the O2 sensor.

Six_Shooter
05-20-2012, 11:29 PM
LOL, after reading the description, even they admit it does nothing.

RobertISaar
05-20-2012, 11:38 PM
basically a toy.

they also have MAP and MAF "enhancers"....

sometimes, people amaze me with the amount of crap they can somehow market.

JeepsAndGuns
05-21-2012, 03:02 AM
What about unichip? Anyone know anything about them. I was googleing chery tuning and they poped up. Seems like some type of piggyback ecm. Wonder if one of those could be wired into the gator.

Robert, the X585 I rebuilt a few pages back is MPFI :innocent2:, two cylinders and two fuel injectors.....:laugh: Has a IAT, CTS, and a MAP sensor. But thats it for feedback, its not closed loop and not tuneable. :mad1:
Right now the only JD equipment that has a gas engine and full closed loop fuel injection is the Z925A EFI, and the 825i gator. The Z925 efi's injection system is made by delphi.

RobertISaar
05-21-2012, 03:15 AM
Unichip: Easily plugs into the stock ECU & ECU harness in minutes , no programming necessary.

sounds like a signal mod to me.

i'd drop in a 7727 type ECM and go nuts.

EagleMark
05-21-2012, 06:10 AM
Unichip: Easily plugs into the stock ECU & ECU harness in minutes , no programming necessary.

sounds like a signal mod to me. I smell a fuel max...

But there are real piggy back modules to wire inbetween ECU/ECM/PCM and engine that do work! You also need a laptop to program them.

RobertISaar
05-21-2012, 06:16 AM
yes, there are real piggyback units, and while not a path i would go down, it is an option for someone dealing with an ECM/PCM that just can't get cracked.

JeepsAndGuns
05-25-2012, 03:07 AM
Had a chance to take a peek at the ecm in a chery equiped gator. Its a sealed weathertight unit, pretty small, mabey about 5-6 inches square, mabey 1-2in thick. No spots or covers that look like you would removed to put in a eeprom, so these are most likely flashed based. Wonder if a ecm from one of the chery cars would fit...lol Then you could probably atleast scan it with a obd2 scan tool.

RobertISaar
06-01-2012, 08:38 PM
June 8/9/10, i'll be in Toledo for the W-body nationals...

anybody else have any upcoming auto meets?

EagleMark
06-02-2012, 04:25 PM
June 8/9/10, i'll be in Toledo for the W-body nationals...

anybody else have any upcoming auto meets?Sure do like the looks of that V8 sidways FWD 300HP caddy...

RobertISaar
06-03-2012, 03:36 AM
there is a swapped 300HP northstar 95 monte carlo running around close to the chicago area.... ~$3500 currently. something i want SO BAD.

EagleMark
06-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Sounds like fun... I'd like to have my LT1 in one?

EagleMark
06-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Interesting? Wonder if it would replace my restrictive per vehicle licence cable for Jet DST?
http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/11383704/KWP2000_ECU_Falsh_OBD2_Interface_OBD.html

Or?
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/528455486/KWP2000_PLUS_High_Speed_USB_Flasher.html

Or?
http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?SearchText=obd2+tuning+software&IndexArea=product_en&fsb=y

Man they got everything in China...

RobertISaar
06-03-2012, 05:07 PM
IIRC, KWP2000+ is a communication protocall.... one that's not used on any USDM cars.

Six_Shooter
06-16-2012, 09:50 PM
LOL!

http://assets.motherboard.tv/post_images/assets/000/006/986/climbing-in-your-windows_large.jpg?1287790523

jrgcjnl
06-17-2012, 08:32 AM
well, im just gonna vent
i did a little 20 roll, and for some reason it hooked and woo!
i picked it to about 80 really fast and i felt it really strong, i can't wait to take it to the track again, it feels like it could do a mid 13 :D
and i might sell an ss hood and pick up a pair of pacesetter lts and ORY for my car :)

Six_Shooter
06-18-2012, 07:36 AM
Wicked:

Portal fans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsdEXlPsobI

EagleMark
06-18-2012, 07:43 AM
Warning or CEL with buzzer!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-NEW-DC-12V-22mm-Red-LED-Power-Indicator-Signal-Light-with-Buzzer-100cd-m2-2M-/280892377964?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41667d8b6c

EagleMark
06-18-2012, 08:25 AM
Spark plug reader LED microscope.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-45X-2-LED-Adjustable-HandHeld-Portable-Microscope-/260971892385?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc3230ea1

RobertISaar
06-18-2012, 08:27 PM
speaking of spark plugs, i should buy them in sets of 7 or 8..... i always seem to kill at least one while installing them on the backside of the engine.

but... considering they were 5 year old copper plugs with ~50K miles on them and 1 cylinder was weak due to a bad wire, and i was STILL averaging 30MPG....

this should be quite an improvement.

EagleMark
06-18-2012, 09:03 PM
Set of 7? :homer:

Those last MPG on my Suburban is on 5 year old plugs, cap and rotor...

RobertISaar
06-18-2012, 10:52 PM
yeah, but what kind of plugs are they?

copper plugs don't last very long, but platinums/iridiums can last 10 years...

EagleMark
06-19-2012, 01:00 AM
Stock AC delco...

Like your new MPG log...

JeepsAndGuns
06-19-2012, 02:14 AM
I can fix a lot of things, but I dont think I am gonna be able to fix this.....

EagleMark
06-19-2012, 03:44 AM
:laugh: Is that a piece of cam in there? Looks like someone just dumped a bunch of parts in the crankcase...

RobertISaar
06-19-2012, 04:52 AM
Stock AC delco...

Like your new MPG log...

fuelly. pretty decent for tracking average economy and trends actually.

I can fix a lot of things, but I dont think I am gonna be able to fix this.....

:laugh: Is that a piece of cam in there? Looks like someone just dumped a bunch of parts in the crankcase...

i see cam, looks like a rod cap....... ugh.

JeepsAndGuns
06-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Yep, down there in the bottom there is parts of the cam, 1 rod, lifters, and pushrods.
Thats the cam gear on the right side of the first pic, in the 2nd pic I have it turned over showing where the cam is supposed to be. Cam also knocked a nickle sized hole in the crankcase cover. This thing is a mess.

JeepsAndGuns
06-24-2012, 03:19 AM
W

T

F

??

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/3091802234.html

Six_Shooter
06-24-2012, 03:37 AM
Wow, talk about sticking together what ever you can find...

Alero nose, part of a truck cab and a Grand Am rear clip....

Some people should not be allowed near tools.

EagleMark
06-24-2012, 04:13 AM
or beer...

1project2many
06-24-2012, 06:43 PM
Obviously a Red-Green fan with a bucket of inspiration, a roll of duct tape, and no K cars to be found.

EagleMark
06-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Red Green is awesome...

JeepsAndGuns
06-30-2012, 02:25 PM
Is it warm anywhere else? Was up to 106 here yesterday. Will probably be close to it if not the same today.

EagleMark
06-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Finally hit mid 70s here! My aunt in PA said it was 107 which is cruely hot in that humidity.

Six_Shooter
06-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Well, I'm running on SSD and Windoze 7 Home Premium 64 bit...

So far not seeing an improvement over mechanical drives...

RobertISaar
06-30-2012, 07:01 PM
hit 101 2 days ago here.... luckily had the A/C installed the day before, otherwise it would have been an even worse day for me...

EagleMark
06-30-2012, 07:26 PM
Man you guys are lucky! I love the heat, going to hit 80 here today and plan on being outside all day.

Told the wife I'm staying with a friend in AZ next winter... screw this 9 month nuclear winter crap. 20 years here and seems like summer is shorter and wintter is longer every year.

RobertISaar
06-30-2012, 07:29 PM
we had the opposite happen here.... winter was quite mild, but this spring/summer is already looking to break records.

JeepsAndGuns
07-01-2012, 02:14 AM
Got up at 6 this morning to do a little work, finished up the ccp on my cherokee, and replaced the blower motor module and pwm fan relay (had to remove bumper to get to it) on my WJ.
Was almost 80 at 7AM, was up to the 90's by around 9-10. Temp reading outside my house right now is 110, @ 6:13PM

EagleMark
07-01-2012, 03:01 AM
It was almost 80 here today! I cancelled life and went up to a freinds property and rode around paridise on his riding lawn mower in the sun for 6 hours! What a life! Reclaiming old farm land, cutting paths into the pond, found the fresh water spring, found the creek, find a game trail and plow into it and make paths to other fields around the forrest and mountain, found the second pond ( took and hour to winch riding lawn mower out of it) he didn't even know about and lived there 20 years until he got married and moved out of parents home, well his home now as they passed but he still does not live there.

Until... usually the deer jump out of the brush when I get within 40 feet or so... this time it runs through brush at 100 feet, I get closer and it runs through brush again... so next pass back the deer runs through brush, across game trail and does not look like a deer? through brush and up a tree 12 feet or so! :yikes: I decided to cut grass in reverse for 100 feet while watching for the deer to come out of tree... happened so fast I didn't get a good look at it but pretty sure deer don't climb trees... I left, now I need a gun and pepper spray to cut grass! :laugh:

JeepsAndGuns
07-01-2012, 03:14 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Tree climbing deer :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Think mabey a mountian lion?

EagleMark
07-01-2012, 04:16 AM
I really don't know what cats are native here, have to look. But the property is known for bear years ago... I spent a lot of time up there last summer, he actual pays me to take care of his equiptment, cars, motorcycles etc... the lawnmowing/brush clearing is like thearapy for me but he still pays me to hang out on one of the nicest pieces of property I have ever seen.

Three distinct differant kinds of aniamal droppings and I have only seen deer... till today... usually get's over run by deer later in year as all the fresh water and fruit trees! Fruit trees must live off spring water as they are far from any water source, I've been cutting through brush 4 foot high, 50 foot to get to the trees.

Kind of weird how much I enjoy riding a lawn mower and reclaiming land. I got Google Earth views from today and use the timeline photos to find where the openings were. It's really relaxing untill the front of riding mower falls into pond while cutting 4 foot high brush... or until deers climb trees... :laugh:

EagleMark
07-01-2012, 04:29 AM
Idaho Fish and Game only have Mountain Lion and Bear. So what else is way bigger then a dog, smaller then a deer and can climb trees?

Now if I'm riding a very load lawn mower, neither a black bear or mountain lion should be threatened by me, right? They will try to get away right?

I'm spooked! Never hunted and don't know much about wildlife, I'm a fisherman. Other then getting a hook out of Pikes mouth there's no danger...

JeepsAndGuns
07-01-2012, 04:25 PM
If its pretty far out there where not many people are, then usally the old saying would probably hold true. They will probably be more scared of you, then you are of them. Esp if you are on a loud lawn mower. Most likely they wouldnt try to attack unless you threten them or corner them. So watch out for babies. They will protect their young.
Probably still not a bad idea to pick up one of those large bear cans of pepper spray or a shotgun. I'm all about live and let live, but if it comes down to either me or them. I'm sorry, I'm not gonna die. But killing them would be lat resort, I would fire a warning shot to scare them off or leave the area myself unless they sneak up on me and catch me by surprise.

EagleMark
07-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Thinking about it more I have not seen deer this year? Strange? Did see something in woods move, last week and my Basset Hound took off past lawn mower, but he doesn't do well in tall brush with short legs...

Deer usually let me get to about 40 feet then BOONG straight up in air and all I see is the ass end. Dosen't even startle me anymore.

But this ran through brush when I got to 100 feet, twice, then third time never stopped in brush and got a glimpse of it through game trail across brush and still didn't phase me... till it went up the tree! :yikes:

Property is unique in one side borders what could be considered town/country living. Other side is forrest. Pond and spring along with fruit trees bring in wildlife. Talked to freind last night and he said they called Fish and Game about 10 years ago to remove Cougar... :yikes: Now I'm really spooked! Wife is from up here, I'm a city boy, she says I need to be looking in all the trees around property, some have huge limbs hanging out big enough to build a real tree house on! Heard they will not attack adult human unless cornered and are scared of any dog? So may be scared of nothing as I'm always loud and well announced because of known black bear, but never seen them, only scat.

Anyway, been a fun week after a long winter, 2 adrenline rushs, one from driving an WS6/LS1 and one from a tree climbing deer! :laugh:

JeepsAndGuns
07-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Jet must be making a killing off their performance chips. Picked up a 7730 that had a AUJP memcal and a jet stage 2 performance chip (part number 19114s) Read the chip and did a compare of it to AUJP, only difference was just a few more degrees of timing in the high map areas, and alittle more fuel in the higher map areas. Thats all.
And the sticker on the chips states "off road only!!" I was expecting something majorly diffrent in the bin like drasticly different timing table, tweeked AE and/or PE, etc... for being a "stage 2" chip, they sure didnt change much...lol What a scam they got

RobertISaar
07-10-2012, 04:03 PM
JET, Hypertech, they're all like that... and they force you to run premium fuel most of the time as well, assuming you had a vehicle that otherwise ran on 87 octane.

1project2many
07-11-2012, 01:41 AM
And they'll encourage you to run a cooler T-stat which is where any real power gains can be found.

One of the easiest tricks to finding a cheap "power gain" is to adjust the knock retard rate and the advance return rate. Don't pull as much spark and start putting it back ASAP. Rely on the KS to keep timing held back if the fuel's less than 91, then tell the customer to run 91 only. You'd be amazed at how much stronger the engine feels on acceleration. Overall power however is rarely improved.

Most cats won't stay around loud noise unless there's food or kittens nearby, and then you'd better watch out as they can get real ornry. Badgers aren't afraid of anything but I dunno if they'll climb trees. They don't usually move fast though. We've got fishercats here which are almost as bad as badgers but they're only slightly larger than a housecat. Coyotes will play that back and forth game. I've heard guys swear they've seen 'em climb trees when desperate but I've got my doubts there. Afraid of the mower, though, prolly not if they have no experience with humans.

RobertISaar
07-11-2012, 01:45 AM
i've seen the slow knock attack rate, fast restore rate myself.... running right on the edge of detonation does some really wierd things.

1project2many
07-11-2012, 06:54 AM
Blankety Blank Blank!!!

How the #$%@ did I miss this show?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVvRIEhA8Jo&feature=related
I live 2 1/2 hrs away from where the show was. My father lives about 10 minutes from the fairgrounds. I rarely think about hitting any kind of shows but this would have been absolutely worth the trip to me. Hell, I even recognize a couple of those trucks from when I lived in that area.

Next year's show is in Yakima so it looks like I've missed out on a good one. There's a small show up here in NH that should be fun but this one would have been too damn cool.

EagleMark
07-11-2012, 07:50 AM
Yakima is 4 hours from me...

Did you see the second truck? B model Mack. When I was 17 I had learned how to tow big rigs cause my boss/high school shop teacher had a gas station shop tow service. He said if I could drive that he'd let me drive the new Peterbuilt.... took a couple days but found an old truck driver who explained how. One stick is gear and the other is low/high, first is easy start in low, then shift second stick to high, now is where it gets complecated he says... use two hands, one to shift first to second the other goes through the steering wheel to other stick to shift from high to low ( or was it other way), and shift both same time, no clutch or it'll never work! I'll be go to heck if it didn't work!

Boss said I failed driving test because I let go of steering wheel. although I had an arm through it and chest on it... OK let me see you drive it? I never figured it out he said and we parked it and he taght me how to hook up with the new Peterbuilt! Brand dam new Peterbuilt and he has me hook up to a brand new mid size Chevy tow truck? Anyway did well no damage and drove around small NJ town streets.

My first tow was a wrecked semi, took 2 hours to remove truck from trailer using two tow trucks and the big rig Peterbuilt. Luckily other guys had more towing experiance. Then why aren't you driving the Pete I said? Because the boss likes it more then his wife and daughter and we need our jobs... second D'oh! Nothing left of truck, not a single axle would roll, driver was dead and cut out... hit a bridge at bottom of hill. I extended the boom and picked up the freightliner, chained it off to back of tow truck with an 8x8 board to hold it away from tow truck, used second winch to pull it in, police escort to tow storage yard to find boss shaking his head saying never seen that done? Why didn't you use the flatbed?' D,oh! What flatbed? As he pointed to a flatbed buried 20 cars deep in the yard... he says OK now how are you going to get trailer? No problem I said! Worried all the way back why he said that took an an hour to figure out how to chain up a semi trailer to a tow truck and tow it! Another police escort as trailer was wrecked and twice as wide, but 8-10 hours after wreck it had been unloaded. WIth overtime I made $120 that day in 1977..., tow bill with unloading and storage was $2800... Man I had fun in younger days.

Next 2 years I was the only one to drive the Pete. Worked full time but was on 24/7 call for that truck.

1project2many
07-11-2012, 08:32 AM
That Mack trans was a "duplex" and they went to triplex then quadplex! Don't miss a gear or you'll have to start all over again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InMy5PgYe4s&feature=related

I've seen a few of those driven over the years but my grampa never had Macks in his fleet. A Diamond T, A Diamond Reo, Brockway, a Jimmy with a 60 deg V8 same family as the 305 V6 (pulled anything you wanted up, down, or sideways but never did more than 60 mph), another Jimmy with a Toro Flow 60 deg Diesel, and others. I remember some of the trucks even from when I was really young. Brockway always did well going uphill but coming down the other side the brakes liked to fade away. Dad used to get really quiet sometimes and it wasn't until a few years ago that I understood just why. I met a guy that drove for Grampa and did a run to NY and back in the Brockway, mostly on narrow winding 2 lanes. Had to train a new driver... "Black as spades" he tells me. Halfway down the hill on the way back, fully loaded with eggs, driver says to new guy Yep, this is where the brakes begin to go. GO??? Where????? Away. And the rest of the trip was spent "trainin." Downshift before this sign or things will get bad. Watch this corner cause if you're doing more than 20 over you'll run right into the rock face. If you're in low range at this rise you can give the brakes a quick rest which really helps for the next part. On and on, all helpful tips to make it down the road with barely working brakes in a truck full of eggs. By the bottom of the hill the truck was arguing with gravity about staying upright and it seemed like gravity was getting the upper hand. "Now swing wide on this corner but not too wide because you need to be able to head into the breakdown lane if traffic won't let you merge. Don't worry, cruise along beside traffic for a bit and someone's gonna back off and give you the space you need to get in. Well, couple miles farther and the new guy says he's gotta piss, so they stop at a fillup. New guy gets out and driver notices it's too late for him to get to the pisser. He's also lost some color. Quite a bit in fact. New guy walks around toward bathroom out behind building but he never comes back! Not in the bathroom, never came out around other side of building, apparently just wandered into the woods and never showed face again. Didn't even come to get paid for the day. And the guy says to me "You'd at least think he would have come back for that money. It's not like he had to work hard to get it. I done all the drivin."

Tonight I happened to find a sign from one of Grampa's trucks:
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6023412
This one was used near the end, right around the '80s when deregulation was knocking so many guys out of the business. Be neat to find out where it's been and where it is now.

EagleMark
07-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Hope you win the sign!

I did a triplex later, was easy if you could run a duplex, just had to remember where you were. Nothing like concentrating on what gear your in and remembering more then driving...

Later I did runs from port of Newark NJ to all PA and upstate NY was fun when young, but got old after couple winters...

Friend of mine from AZ was grandson to owner of Diamond REO in PA. Gary Osterlund, just looked at WiKi and found his grand dads name... also the year I met him in AZ 1995 when company closed... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Reo_Trucks

Six_Shooter
07-12-2012, 01:45 AM
Well, I got a letter today, that tells me, that I'm accepted into one of the two colleges that I applied to. :rockon::jfj:

JeepsAndGuns
07-12-2012, 02:06 AM
Since we are on the subjects of semi's.
Let it SCREAM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od_6H-k9fBg
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od_6H-k9fBg)

But Here is a sweet sounding pete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr4droacjjY

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr4droacjjY)

JeepsAndGuns
07-12-2012, 02:29 AM
Or what about just plumb crazy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m48vyc5beNg

EagleMark
07-12-2012, 03:18 AM
Well, I got a letter today, that tells me, that I'm accepted into one of the two colleges that I applied to. :rockon::jfj:What is it your looking to take?

EagleMark
07-12-2012, 03:29 AM
I lost some hearing in my left ear from driving a Detroit with straight pipes for one day... never has returned... was also the only truck I ever drove, that I personally adjusted all brakes on, that I had to hit a runaway ramp in. Truck was loaded in yard and scale ticket said 79,900. State police said I had to rescale after winch out of pea gravel runaway ramp and it was 121,000...truck was red flagged, I got a ride back... Was my last day driving trucks at 21, fun was over...

Six_Shooter
07-12-2012, 06:43 AM
What is it your looking to take?

Electronics Engineering Technologist

EagleMark
07-12-2012, 06:44 AM
I smell a new engine control module...

RobertISaar
07-12-2012, 07:08 AM
Electronics Engineering Technologist

so..... an EE?

I smell a new engine control module...

i'm brewing up my own arduino based TCM.... but an actual OEM quality piece? that would be nice to be able to do.

EagleMark
07-12-2012, 07:45 AM
so..... an EE?

He's going to collage for an LT1 mask? :laugh:

gregs78cam
07-12-2012, 09:35 AM
A few pics of what I was doing last week. I usually do all of the operating of the BobCat, and have been the trigger man for the last 5+ years. Also two links: one to last year's show, and one to the most exciting part of that show - a 10" shell like the one I'm holding breaking about 30' out of the tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjvYmUsqw60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3jUNdD9q3E

EagleMark
07-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Cool, didn't know you did that. So how close are the guys to the barge when that one went off?

gregs78cam
07-12-2012, 10:25 PM
We are on the barge for the whole show.

RobertISaar
07-12-2012, 10:41 PM
possibly about to pick up a 97 taurus for $200?

Six_Shooter
07-13-2012, 12:13 AM
You mean they are paying you $200 to take it, right?

EagleMark
07-13-2012, 12:50 AM
Ouch on Ford...

EagleMark
07-13-2012, 12:53 AM
We are on the barge for the whole show.So did you think you were going to die when that went off about ear level? Whoops there goes the rest of fire works and time to hide under barge?

We were on lake CDA few years back in a boat and at end of show they were getting so close I was ducking...

gregs78cam
07-13-2012, 02:19 AM
You mean they are paying you $200 to take it, right?

LOL, only way I would get a F**D.

So did you think you were going to die when that went off about ear level? Whoops there goes the rest of fire works and time to hide under barge?

We were on lake CDA few years back in a boat and at end of show they were getting so close I was ducking...

No, but my first thought was "WTF!!!!", and then kept shooting. It actually looked like it blew right out the side of tube, but not so. I like the guy's description, he thought it was 6"

1project2many
07-13-2012, 03:45 AM
Well, I got a letter today, that tells me, that I'm accepted into one of the two colleges that I applied to. http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/images/smilies/rock on.gif:jfj:

That's a great feeling. Give 'em hell. Just make sure they work to earn their paycheck. ;)

He's going to collage for an LT1 mask?

I went to GM school because no one could tell me about the EFI systems I wanted to mod. Then when I really started to learn about them I realized I didn't know anywhere near enough so I went back to school for EE and CS. Not too many mechanics out there with the edumacatin that I got. And what have I learned? My 6V '36 Plymouth is one nice, easy car to work on!

RobertISaar
07-13-2012, 05:03 AM
turns out, the taurus was quite a bucket of fail.

the driver's side front subframe mount was GONE... the rest of the underside didn't look much better. it may end up being bought for a parts car so my dad can get rid of the taurus that's been sitting on his property with a dead transmission.

EagleMark
07-13-2012, 05:18 AM
You should find a cheap auto hauler going back that was empty from seattle through here. No salt, horrible economy, cheap cars...

JeepsAndGuns
07-15-2012, 02:59 AM
Test bench is a success! Well, actually test floor, as it all over the floor in the spare bedroom...lol
But I have everything wired up, added a small light to the fuel pump relay, added a light for the check engine light, added a coil, and added a small toggle switch to turn it "on" and hooked up all the sensors. Plugged in the autoprom and loaded up the ADX file I worked on. Hooked up a battery, flipped the switch, check engine light did its thing, so did the fuel pump/light. Connected just fine, worked the tps, applied vac to the map, used a heat gun on the cts & mat. Had a dist hooked up , spun it with a drill while holding a large ground wire about 1/4 in away from the stud on the coil and watched the light show...lol. Fuel pump, err..light came on, check engine light turned off, injectors started clicking, and dash showed rpm. I used some junk injectors as a test (actually the high mileage, almost worn out stock ones from my wrangler) I did not have a knock sensor hooked up, and didnt hook up a 02 sensor, figured I would get a code for that, but didnt?
I turned off the codes for egr and knock, as well as disabled them, turned off vats and a couple other things in a bin saved it and used the jet adapter and memcal with a 27sf512 to test it. Oh yea, test ecm was a 7730.

Next on the list is to splice in connectors for a 7727, and 7427 so I can test those with the same harness. I will probably splice in extra connectors for the flat 4 wire iac, and later round style tps plug, so I can also test sensors as well as ecm's. I have 3 7727's to test, and can also use this to test functionality of the sensors and other components for my 7727 swap into my wrangler.

EagleMark
07-15-2012, 03:52 AM
Yup, your addicted! :laugh:

Six_Shooter
07-15-2012, 07:50 AM
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/295488_438297236215256_1585406565_n.jpg

EagleMark
07-15-2012, 08:24 AM
Fail!

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/attachment.php?attachmentid=2761&stc=1&d=1342329829

JeepsAndGuns
07-15-2012, 03:47 PM
lol

The first movie was cheezy, and the tuner cars were retarded, but for some reason, I actually kinda liked the movie.
Cant remember much about the 2nd one, as I only saw it once.
Third one kinda sucked, but was kinda good at the same time. Lots of cheeze, but the director did a halfway decent job of the movie.
The last two were actually really good (I thought anyways) still a little cheeze, but overall pretty good. Lot better than I thought they would be. I liked that they had the original people back. Saw a trailer for the new one and it looks pretty decent to.

JeepsAndGuns
07-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Yup, your addicted! :laugh:

I would have straightened out the harness and put it with the tpi intake, but several of the connectors had been cut off and a few other spots of hack. I had to splice in new connectors (have a box full of spares) and fix a few wires. Most people dont want to buy spliced and fixed harnesses. So I decided to make it my test harness. This thing was in a box and was just wadded up. It was the most tangled mess of wires I have ever seen. I had to go as far as taking the wires, one by one, loose from the ecm connectors and untangleing them and hooking them back up.

EagleMark
07-15-2012, 05:08 PM
There's an LS1 harness article were the guy removes every wire and pin from socket, rolls them up and lables them, then rebuild the harness perfectly to fit, one wire at a time! Nice work but in the end mine look as nice with convoluted tubing and 100 less hours...

Six_Shooter
07-15-2012, 06:30 PM
lol

The first movie was cheezy, and the tuner cars were retarded, but for some reason, I actually kinda liked the movie.
Cant remember much about the 2nd one, as I only saw it once.
Third one kinda sucked, but was kinda good at the same time. Lots of cheeze, but the director did a halfway decent job of the movie.
The last two were actually really good (I thought anyways) still a little cheeze, but overall pretty good. Lot better than I thought they would be. I liked that they had the original people back. Saw a trailer for the new one and it looks pretty decent to.

Comparing the first one to the second on, the first one was a serious drama, compared to what I saw as a campy sequel. I thought they should have left the last 5 minutes off Tokyo Drift and not had it as part of the Fast and Furious franchise. It was a very good movie that could have stood all on it's own, that is until they did the prequel next, where Han was then in a movie of a similar title to the original with much of the original cast. I kinda liked Fast 5, until they started towing the HUGE safe through the city with only a pair of Dodge Chargers. :facepalm: One thing I didn't notice until just now (I have it loaded on my PC), is just after they pull the safe out of the wall, they get to the street and the safe starts flipping and rolling, this would twist the cables together several times, then in the next scene the cables are not twisted at all, and are connected very cleanly from the safe to each vehicle. :rolleyes:

You would think with the target market of the movie they would have thought a bit more about the "chip" in the radio part. Many people in the target audience have installed radios, many would have been similar units to what was used in the movie, they would know that there are no removable "chips" like they show in the movie, even a modified unit would not be removable like that. It would have made more sense to use an SD card for the same pupose, since that actually IS plausable.

RobertISaar
07-15-2012, 06:49 PM
i think i quit watching them after #3....

EagleMark
07-15-2012, 07:11 PM
i think i quit watching them after #3....2...

Six_Shooter
07-15-2012, 08:11 PM

#3 (Tokyo Drift) was actually a very good movie, like I said before it should have been released as it's own movie.

EagleMark
07-16-2012, 12:59 AM
OK, against my better judgement, but being a GearHead I can justify it with your recomendation...

I must be bored...

JeepsAndGuns
07-16-2012, 02:36 AM
I cried (well, actually cringed) a little when they crashed that viper at the start of the 3rd one.
The viper is one of my dream cars.

The 4th and 5th ones have actually been my favorites out of the series. If your gonna watch 3, might as well throw 4 and 5 on the list. I do agree with six_shooter, in that 3 is almost pretty much is its own movie. If it wasnt for the short scene with vin deisel at the end, and that one guy being in the 4th and 5th movies, it would be its own movie.

RobertISaar
07-16-2012, 02:39 AM
i still don't understand the "drift" culture anyways.....

"hey guys, let's go burn our tires off before we finish 3 laps of this circuit"

?????????????

EagleMark
07-16-2012, 03:48 AM
I don't understand it either? But I want to do it real bad... kind of like Mud Bogging... no purpose, but looks fun.

EagleMark
07-16-2012, 08:29 AM
Well didn't try Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift, but was bored enought to watch a movie. Ice Age, Dawn of the Dinasaur! Excellent, amde me laugh hard so many times the wife told me to shut up! :laugh:

EagleMark
07-16-2012, 08:35 AM
Had a 19 year old young man bring a tear to my eye today, almost broke down crying with four words...

"Dad, I'm moving out..."

Since he's never seen me cry I figured it was a bad time, he's not been around much since he got his license 2 years ago, but those 4 words really hurt! Although very proud of him! I realized my time as a full time dad was really up!

:sad:

1project2many
07-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Dad, be proud. It's amazing the number of "kids" that still live at home, still rely on parents into late 20's and beyond. You've done a good job.

Look forward to grandkids! They make a great excuse for watching cartoons so no one thinks you're soft in the head. And you can spoil 'em like you couldn't do to yours. :)

JeepsAndGuns
07-16-2012, 02:24 PM
Yep, cant live at home forever. I moved out when I was 18, mere days after I graduated high school. But I didnt just move out, I also moved away. I moved from where I grew up in southwest VA, to where I live now in north central AL.

JeepsAndGuns
07-16-2012, 02:26 PM

?????????????

I dont understand it either, but I'm with mark, it looks fun. I wouldnt mind trying it myself.

EagleMark
07-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Dad, be proud. It's amazing the number of "kids" that still live at home, still rely on parents into late 20's and beyond. You've done a good job.

Look forward to grandkids! They make a great excuse for watching cartoons so no one thinks you're soft in the head. And you can spoil 'em like you couldn't do to yours. :)I still watch cartoons... alone...

Yep, cant live at home forever. I moved out when I was 18, mere days after I graduated high school. But I didnt just move out, I also moved away. I moved from where I grew up in southwest VA, to where I live now in north central AL.Sounds like you needed freedom? My son earned his freedom years ago. between 16 and 17 he had older freinds (that I knew, kids of my freinds from Off Road club) I would sneak up on them after getting out of bed at 1:AM (old) and find them working on cars... still never caught him coming home drunk at 2: or 3:AM... just greasy or muddy...

EagleMark
07-16-2012, 03:17 PM

?????????????

I dont understand it either, but I'm with mark, it looks fun. I wouldnt mind trying it myself.

Was watching some drifting videos and still want to. But really never tried to understand why take a high HP good handling car, put hard slick tires on so it handles like poop and go sideways? there is a lot of driving skill there. Top Gear did drifting by accident with a high performance Mercedes that came with high mile tires...

RobertISaar
07-16-2012, 08:14 PM
i can see doing it for fun........ but there are competitions for it. other than gauging crowd reaction, how exactly can one rate a drift without bias?

RobertISaar
07-16-2012, 08:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uvUHW8Yl3lQ

EagleMark
07-16-2012, 08:58 PM
:laugh:

That was great with sound effects! In the Ice Age movie towards the beginning was Diego the saper tooth TIgar chasing an antelope and some slow motion drifting like that.

JeepsAndGuns
07-17-2012, 03:25 AM
Here is probably one of my all time favorite youtube videos. First time I saw this my mouth was hitting the floor, had no clue you could do this stuff in a car. This guy has some crazy mad skills, and one bad ass ford fiesta!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TshFWSsrn8

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TshFWSsrn8)How about a little more, with some cheeze in it....lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btViXvIDsi0&feature=relmfu
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btViXvIDsi0&feature=relmfu)

How about a little more? This time in san francisco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuDN2bCIyus

EagleMark
07-17-2012, 03:32 AM
He's been on here before... I could see it being fun to have 650HP in a 2000 pound car!

4 tires and 10 gallons of race fuel per 7 minute video...

EagleMark
07-17-2012, 05:14 AM
Ha! I was curious how much fuel 650 HP uses, 325 gallons per hour WOT which would be 37.916 gallons in 7 minutes, OK little less for the rare occastion he was not WOT. So 37 galons of... lets say cheap 113 leaded fuel at $13.71 a gallon is $519.60 plus four tires at $1000, so $1500. for a 7 minute video... just an average...

Six_Shooter
07-17-2012, 05:55 AM
Here is probably one of my all time favorite youtube videos. First time I saw this my mouth was hitting the floor, had no clue you could do this stuff in a car. This guy has some crazy mad skills, and one bad ass ford fiesta!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TshFWSsrn8

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TshFWSsrn8)How about a little more, with some cheeze in it....lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btViXvIDsi0&feature=relmfu
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btViXvIDsi0&feature=relmfu)

How about a little more? This time in san francisco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuDN2bCIyus

OK..
Meh..
TERRIBLE.

Look up Gymkhana 1, best of the series, BY FAR. Gymkhana 2, was decent, but where the product shots and such started from, which then made the videos a little over produced.

Gym 5 is rubbish, there's about 2 minutes worth of driving, because they re-cap each part about 6 times, no joke on that one, the spot where he jumps the hill's peak, they re-cap it 6 times, wasting 22 seconds of video. I was thoroughly disappointed with this one. It was the same director used for 4 and 5, Ken needs to find a new director for 6.

Here, Gymkhana 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs-jAImScms
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs-jAImScms)
(We need to get video embedding to work on this site.)

Ha! I was curious how much fuel 650 HP uses, 325 gallons per hour WOT which would be 37.916 gallons in 7 minutes, OK little less for the rare occastion he was not WOT. So 37 galons of... lets say cheap 113 leaded fuel at $13.71 a gallon is $519.60 plus four tires at $1000, so $1500. for a 7 minute video... just an average...

Try closer to $800 per tire, if not more, and there would be several sets used for the multiple takes, along with a whole lot of fuel, for those same multiple takes, let alone the practice sessions, before the cameras are turned on.

RobertISaar
07-17-2012, 06:00 AM
....... video embedding does work? i posted cat drifting at the top of the page, it works for me?

EagleMark
07-17-2012, 06:11 AM
(We need to get video embedding to work on this site.)
Just click on the little video Icon and paste the Share link from youtube... if that does not work we should contact Admin. :innocent2:

http://youtu.be/rs-jAImScms

EagleMark
07-19-2012, 06:07 AM
Been doing something really weird lately, watching TV? It's really bad... but I do like The Big Bang Theory and...

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/attachment.php?attachmentid=2785&stc=1&d=1342667205

Six_Shooter
07-19-2012, 08:05 AM
Been doing something really weird lately, watching TV? It's really bad... but I do like The Big Bang Theory and...

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/attachment.php?attachmentid=2785&stc=1&d=1342667205

That reminds me I need to get the rest of the available seasons of Big Bang Theory.

EagleMark
07-19-2012, 08:37 AM
That show is funny as heck, how long has it been around?

Stranger then that my wife pointed out the extremes of the comedy I like...

Six_Shooter
07-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Pretty cool hacking:

https://vimeo.com/45417241

Ok, the problem with embedding is that you need to use the form in the post to embed it, typing the in code manually doesn't seem to work, like a few other codes I've noticed, I just don't recall which codes, when typed in don't work.

RobertISaar
07-20-2012, 08:12 AM
i just use [ video] and [ /video] without the spaces and it works.

EagleMark
07-20-2012, 08:41 AM
so is that the Big Screen Wii? Cool!

JeepsAndGuns
07-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Dont know how much of that is him actually making music, or him just dancing in time to pre made music. Most of his moves didnt match the changes in the music.

EagleMark
07-20-2012, 04:40 PM
But they all followed him...

Six_Shooter
07-20-2012, 08:09 PM
i just use [ video] and [ /video] without the spaces and it works.

Yeah, that doesn't work for me, probably because I use a superior browser of Chrome, and many forum software are only optimized for Internet Exploder.

Dont know how much of that is him actually making music, or him just dancing in time to pre made music. Most of his moves didnt match the changes in the music.

Watch it again, the "non match" is a slight delay to the music after his moves, this would be processing time.

The Kinect hack interface is probably not completely optimized yet. Also I have seen many videos where the audio is not in sync with the video, internet connection speed can affect this as well.

Think of it sorta like playing a Theramin on stereroids to the power 96.

The Kinect uses spacial recognition and movement that is then changed into co-ordinates that the program that has been developed uses for parameter input. Different movements and combinations of movements cause different outcomes. If you notice at the beginning he's in basically a test screen, then he "hits" the edge of the "play area", does a hands pointed down turn to set the interface to a different "screen".

To use something like this, you have to think in more than just 2 dimensions, the same movement, but at a different distance from the sensor can cause a very different outcome, because of the Z-axis. The Z-axis could also be programmed to start or end certain sound loops, or effects. Programming is limited to the ideas of the person sitting at the computer thinking of ways to interface, some of these people are incredibly gifted when it comes to abstract thinking. There's also the intensity of the movements that can be a variable in what the result is, a quick or a slow movement even on the the same x and y plane could be programmed to have different results, just by performing the same movement quick or slow.

The article they wrote goes in detail, about how certain movements can control multiple things.

Like the distance between hands controls the rotation of a knob in the software, while twisting your hands at the same time controls a different knob. The distance of the player's chest from the ground changes parts of the sound, while moving your hands while moving your chest (relative to the ground) can cause very deep manipulation of sounds and effects.

http://www.custom-logic.com/blog/v-motion-project-the-instrument/

RobertISaar
07-20-2012, 08:18 PM
well if it were superior, wouldn't it work? :laugh:

i switch between IE and FF since that's what the majority of the people i have to help play tech support for use.

Six_Shooter
07-20-2012, 08:38 PM
well if it were superior, wouldn't it work? :laugh:

i switch between IE and FF since that's what the majority of the people i have to help play tech support for use.

The browser is superior, the forum is not. ;)

RobertISaar
07-20-2012, 08:45 PM
was just thinking about something....

everybody seems to have problems with the 1227165.... i imagine it wouldn't be THAT difficult to port 7165 BINs to run on the 7727/7730..... right? i mean, almost all of the hardware addresses even match.

that would determine once and for all if their interesting datalogging problem is hardware or software based. and they would even end up with a larger set of I/O stuff as well.

Six_Shooter
07-20-2012, 11:12 PM
Is there an input on the '7730 that will read the frequency based MAF?

I know there was some issue sorta going "the other way".

There were people in Australia trying to get $59 to run on an '808, which is touted as being electrically equivalent to the '7165. Running $12p in a '7165 seems to confirm this.

RobertISaar
07-20-2012, 11:16 PM
the 87 and 88 2.8MPFI cars w/7730/7727 used a low frequency MAF similar to the one used on the TPI cars which was disabled after they found out that they died often and randomly. they ran on $55.

later, the same input was used for VATS in 8D and A1 at least.

Six_Shooter
07-21-2012, 12:55 AM
the 87 and 88 2.8MPFI cars w/7730/7727 used a low frequency MAF similar to the one used on the TPI cars which was disabled after they found out that they died often and randomly. they ran on $55.

later, the same input was used for VATS in 8D and A1 at least.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the early MAF systems, and that VATS is frequency based.

EagleMark
07-22-2012, 07:21 AM
Made me laugh... looks like Jim Morrison/The Doors?

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/attachment.php?attachmentid=2795&stc=1&d=1342930771

Six_Shooter
07-22-2012, 11:35 PM
Made me laugh... looks like Jim Morrison/The Doors?

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/attachment.php?attachmentid=2795&stc=1&d=1342930771

I like it.

JeepsAndGuns
07-23-2012, 02:27 AM
Just a quick random question, not even enough of one to warrent its own thread.
Can a 16168625 run a 0D/0E codemask and bin/prom?

EagleMark
07-25-2012, 05:32 PM
got to watch the second car in this clip do a SMOKEY burnout! :laugh:

Rest of it is just rich guys wrecking their cars...

http://youtu.be/IdLHAqL8KJw

Six_Shooter
08-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Well a couple days ago I received a letter from my #1 choice college. They gave me a conditional acceptance, provided I passed the MCT4C math course I was taking with at 60%. Well I ended up with an 83% overall mark in that course. :) so now I need to receive my official acceptance letter. :)

EagleMark
08-01-2012, 06:01 PM
So you in?

You going to do collage and work full time?

Six_Shooter
08-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Well, I've met the requirements, so yes, technically I'm into my #1 choice, and can opt out of my #2 choice that I already accepted, since they needed to know before my course ended.

I'm going to s'kool full time, and work part time.

JeepsAndGuns
08-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Sold my lawn mower, and bought a new tool/toy.
A snap on BK6000 inspection camera. Been wanting one of these for a while. Has a 3.5in screen, detachable camera/handle, and can take pictures and video.
Already putting it to use at work. Inspected a mower engine and found scratced up cylinder walls from a incorrectly installed air filter, and found a weedeater with worn cylinder walls from incorrect fuel mix.

Now I can look inside engines through the drain plug and see pistons, cams, cylinder walls, look inside transmissions, transfer cases, rear axles, etc.. This thing is sweet.

Also ordered a bunch of stuff for the axles I am gonna install in my cherokee. Cromo shafts, gears, lockers, etc..

JeepsAndGuns
08-10-2012, 02:58 AM
I'm really liking this inspection camera. I have looked at the cylinder walls of the 4.0 in my wrangler. 273K and can still see crosshatching. Looked at the cyl walls in my 401. Pulled the o2 sensor and looked at the cat in my grand cherokee.

EagleMark
08-10-2012, 05:19 AM
So your next Colonoscopy will be DIY? :laugh:

Maybe you could use it with my new Power Probe? :laugh::laugh:
http://www.powerprobe.com/PP3.html

OK I'd better stop...

I'd like to look at combustion chamber after a WOT run to see how's it running, then compare to spark plugs and see if there's any differnce.

RobertISaar
08-16-2012, 01:46 AM
you know, $EE would be so much easier to understand if the T-side weren't so incredibly convoluted....

also interesting to note: if GM had loaded the E-side into the upper half of the PROM, the E-side calibration and algorithm would easily have fit into a 32K PROM instead of the 64K used. would have cut 1 minute out of programming time assuming a 5 minute program period.

Six_Shooter
08-16-2012, 08:18 AM
I'm glad I'm into Delco EFI...

I've been working on a friend's 240Z at work for many months now (always seemed to get pushed aside), and finally got around to wiring the ECM. I already had the harness mostly strung together, from the engine bay into where the ECM is being mounted. Well I spent all day Tuesday wiring just the ECM side of the harness. It was only about 50 wires or so, but had to keep referencing between 2 different manuals, and interweeb information, to make sure it was right. Delco diagrams are SO much better.

He should be taking the car home in the next couple of weeks, it won't quite be done, due to the custom intake manifold, but the plan is that the intake manifold will be the only thing left to finish. The finishing will mostly be smoothing out and making it look good, most of the welding is already done.

1project2many
08-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Delco diagrams are SO much better.
Agreed. And GM likes to keep wire colors consistent across many years. Now if you really want a challenge look at OE Volkswagen diagrams.

RobertISaar
08-16-2012, 08:46 PM
i have some chrysler diagrams for stuff as simple as a radio and it's almost worthless....

i REALLY like what GM was doing in the late 80s/early 90s for diagrams, then in the late 90s, everything had a slightly different, less informative look. still better than most though.

RobertISaar
08-16-2012, 09:49 PM
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/smart-car-speed-detecting-sensor-module-for-arduino-149108?r=99999999

hall effect sensor, anyone? at least i think it is.

Six_Shooter
08-17-2012, 06:02 AM
So a few weeks ago I discovered a slight issue with my crank trigger, the two small bolts that were holding it in alignment were damaged or missing. This explained the "ting-ting-ting" sound as I shut down the engine, where the trigger wheel would rotate back and forth against the side of the remaining bolt, that was now a stud. I thought that was odd, put in a couple new bolts and went on my way, sound not there. A week later, the sound comes back. Check the crank trigger, sure enough the bolts were loose again. Tighten the bolts, and this was good for a few hours. :facepalm:

So I knew what the problem was, but was hoping it wouldn't become a larger issue, and if I wasn't planning to go to the track tomorrow night, I likely wouldn't have worried about it.

When we adapted the trigger wheel to the Datsun, we made it sit flush against the pulley face, when we did this, I thought that it may have been a slight issue, but decided to try it anyway. Well, after 4 years the issue, definitely was an issue.

The problem is that the outer part of the crank pulley is also the harmonic balancer , so eventually the harmonic balancer doing it's job, vibrated the bolts loose and broke the two roll pins that were installed. So tonight I removed the trigger wheel, engine was still hot, it had been off for about 4 minutes. LOL, took it to my grandfather's and machined a small groove in the back to allow the harmonic balancer do it's job, without rubbing against the trigger wheel. I had to use longer bolts to hold the wheel in alignment this time, because the outer 4 or 5 mm are toast. Luckily, I went with my gut instinct when putting the trigger wheel on and had the crank pulley bolt also hold the trigger wheel on, otherwise, that could have caused some serious damage if that trigger wheel had come off at RPM.

Took a little over an hour to pull the trigger wheel, modify and re-install it. Everything seems to be in working order (knock on wood), and hopefully stay put until at least Saturday afternoon, after Z-Fest. :D

EagleMark
08-17-2012, 07:04 AM
Really! You have a Z fest up there?

There's been some sweet Zs for sale here lately, real nice no rust drivers.

Six_Shooter
08-17-2012, 08:03 AM
Yep, an annual Z-Fest, put on by the Ontario Z Car club, of which I'm a member. ;) We usually get between 125 and 140 cars.

For the last 3 years, this year included, Z Fest has been literally down the street from me, in town. It's great. Hopefully they keep it at this location for years to come. :)

1project2many
08-17-2012, 05:01 PM
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/smart-c...108?r=99999999 (http://www.dealextreme.com/p/smart-car-speed-detecting-sensor-module-for-arduino-149108?r=99999999)

hall effect sensor, anyone? at least i think it is.

Yes, it appears to be.

Six_Shooter
08-18-2012, 07:38 AM
So, I went to the track tonight.

Ran two passes, it was ridiculously busy, and there were two oil downs.

Ran a best of 13.06 @ 110.52 MPH. :D

The slower pass, ran a 13.282 @ 111.12 MPH.

The 60' times were in the 2.2 range for both passes. The track was sticky, so much so, that I bogged slightly on the second pass, launching at 3000 RPM. I'd really like to see a short time around the 2.0 mark. Probably heading back to the track in a couple weeks, looking to improve on that time.

The odd part about these passes, is that the car just freight trains in the top end. My 1/4 mile E.T. is about 3 tenths quicker than what calculating from my 1/8 mile time. :confused:

EagleMark
08-18-2012, 09:43 AM
Zs can't go that fast!

Unless you have video?

:popcorn:

gregs78cam
08-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Well I was headed camping last weekend, and was going to take the Truck with the 4wheeler in the back, so I decided to do the brakes on it. Well a simple brake job turned into replacing the rotors (pressed on the hubs), then that turned into getting a new hub because of a spun bearing race, but no one had one local, so I went to pull and save, and got two good ones with rotors from a '78. Well from the '74 to '78 they changed the inner bearing size on the Dana 44, so those wouldn't work. I ended up peening the old bore and put the new bearings in just to get by for the weekend. Put it all together and one caliper wouldn't retract completely, so another trip to town Friday (day we are leaving) to get a caliper, got it all together everything topped off, loaded, decide to take it down the road to make sure everything works right. Pull out of the driveway onto the highway and when the trans shifts to second...........nothing, then it grabs but doesn't hold well. Third seems better. But making a strange rattling sound in second and third.

Finally pulled the pan yesterday and it seems that the intermediate roller clutch has come from together. I was thinking of swapping the th350 for a th400, but I don't think I want to do that swap and then do another one when I decide to go to a 4L80E. So I think I will just rebuild the th350 again, but I am going to soften up the 1->2 shift a little, it was pretty brutal at half throttle or more. I thought I read that someone on here was a transmission guy, so here is my question.....Is there a stronger aftermarket intermediate sprag for the th350. If no suggestions I will call Jake on Monday and talk to him, that is who I got the rebuild kit from last time. http://www.jakesperformance.com/

EagleMark
08-19-2012, 03:47 AM
PM droptopstang, he's the tranny guy. Or just a thread and PM him for some help, he's willing and able.

RobertISaar
08-22-2012, 12:49 AM
http://www.stealth316.com/2-air-fuel-flow.htm

i get the feeling that if i were to impliment a proper speed-density calculation(as opposed to the BPC style stuff GM did for a lot of applications), that this is a great place to start.

RobertISaar
08-22-2012, 07:11 PM
the forum got mentioned on 60V6 and it wasn't even me!

(well-known member on 60V6 was searching for an ADS file for $6D)

side note: link above, analyzed it and came up with this:

creating air density:
barometric pressure
airmass temperature

creating air volume:
cylinder displacement
RPM
VE
MAP

creating mass air flow:
cylinder displacement
RPM
VE
MAP
air density

creating air mass in cylinder:
cylinder displacement
VE
MAP
air density

of course, GM did all of this work already in certain masks, but i'm fairly certain i can get it done either more efficiently or without having to build a workaround later(see 8D large airflow issue that causes the injector PW to stop rising above 7mSec or whatever it is).

Six_Shooter
08-22-2012, 07:45 PM
Yeah, Gearhead-efi seems to be getting mentioned more and more, on many sites. I almost think that we are starting to be considered the new version or replacement of diy_efi.org.

gregs78cam
08-22-2012, 10:11 PM
I don't have the project completely lined out just yet, so I don't really want to start a thread on it, but I'm considering the feasibility of using a '7427 variant to control a 4L60E mated to an engine that redlines at 8K. How much work would be involved in expanding the trans related tables out to 8K RPM? I know it would take some time to sort through the .bin but with some of the really good hacs that we have I would think it do-able. I think that a lot of the engine code could be removed to clear up some space. I might also need to increase the bit size of the RPM to get more than the 6400 or so MAX RPM of the stock $0D. Any thoughts?

This is a rough idea of what I have in mind:
1972 Honda AN600 - stock=1260lb, target= < 2000lb
2010-2012 Kawasaki Ultra 300 Engine - 1500cc, EFI, 8.4:1 CR, 17psi Supercharged/intercooled, 300hp
4L60E with 3K stall
Narrowed 9" or 10 bolt, ~4.56 ratio.

RobertISaar
08-22-2012, 10:29 PM
couple of different ways to go about it.

could interrupt the RPM calculation and create a new variable that will scale to whatever RPM you want it to(i made a 8 bit RPM byte that will read all the way up to 12,800RPM in my code, 50RPM increments) and save it to a new RAM location, then change a couple of bytes in the code per table to use this new RPM and that will solve that issue instantly. then just change the table breakpoints in the XDF and you're ready to calibrate.

that would likely be the way i would do it, since it interferes with the least amount of other items, in fact, it would only effect the ones you want it to, rather than effecting all scalars/tables.

gregs78cam
08-22-2012, 11:08 PM
I like that, thanks. I am still a little confused on how things are looked up in a table. For instance, I kind of get that:

; LK UP BPW MULT vs PUMP VOLTAGE MULT
;
;-----------------------------------------
846F: LDAA L0055 ; BATTERY VOLTS * 10
8471: LDX #$4986 ; BPW MULT vs BATTERY
8474: JSR LF553 ; 2d LK UP

;
; Apply battery correction
;
8477: LDX #$024D ; SYNC BPW
847A: JSR LF5E2 ; 8 x 16 MULT SUBROUTINE
;
847D: STD L024D ; SYNC BPW

has something to do with:

; 2D LK UP
;
;----------------------------------------------
F553: LF553 PSHX
F554: PSHB
F555: LDAB #16
F557: LF557 MUL
F558: PSHB
F559: TAB
F55A: ABX
F55B: LDD 0,X
F55D: SBA
F55E: PULB
F55F: BCC LF567

F561: NEGA
F562: MUL
F563: ADCA 0,X
F565: BRA LF56D

F567: LF567 MUL
F568: ADCA #$0000
F56A: NEGA
F56B: ADDA 0,X
F56D: LF56D PULB
F56E: PULX
F56F: RTS
;----------------------------------------------

But beyond that, I think I need to spend some time with the OP-Codes. I guess I will start a thread when that time comes.

RobertISaar
08-22-2012, 11:16 PM
you would probably be better off not trying to understand the 2D and 3D lookups yet, they're a PITA to try and decode. do simpler stuff until you get a good feel for how the 68HC11 does it's job, then they won't be so bad. the pink book is basically a requirement for the more complex subroutines.

EagleMark
08-23-2012, 12:08 AM
That is really worthy of it's own thread and you would get more response.

It sounds like a cool project and as Robert would say... "I approve this project!" Not sure I would start with a 10 bolt rear axle though... maybe as it's sounds light weight.

gregs78cam
08-23-2012, 01:48 AM
TNot sure I would start with a 10 bolt rear axle though... maybe as it's sounds light weight.

Lightweight is the key here, Camaro makes 100 more hp and lots more torque, weighs almost twice what this should and the 8.5" 10 has held up fine. But I do have a 9" disc rear end waiting for a home too.

And yes, if I can ever afford the engine then yes it will definitely get its own thread.

EagleMark
08-23-2012, 01:52 AM
I have to come see this project, you were talking about it last time over but hard to comprehend!

Hey is there any LS stuff at Pull and Save?

EagleMark
08-23-2012, 03:42 AM
Is this thread like a blog? Cause I can install a blog... what's a blog?

Fried Cod for dinner. Wash, dry, dip in egg and flooped in corn meal with six pepper seasoning and some garlic. Fried in olive oil! :jfj:

gregs78cam
08-23-2012, 04:10 AM
I have to come see this project, you were talking about it last time over but hard to comprehend!

Hey is there any LS stuff at Pull and Save?

I haven't started anything yet, just making a list, and seeing if the idea is possible.

LS stuff, I'm not sure. Most '96+ stuff there might be Vortec, maybe harness, PCMs, I have yet to see to see an actual LS engine in a vehicle there.

RobertISaar
08-23-2012, 04:18 AM
i have yet to see any LS engine in a yard near me.

1project2many
08-23-2012, 05:11 AM
Robert, is Scot Sealander on 60deg? You should talk with him if you don't already. At one point he'd resurrected and modified the MAF / SD hybrid code in early 80s 2.8s so he could correlate SD calculations with MAF measurements. He wrote code that would self correct it's VE tables and after seeing too much activity went back in and reworked the SD calculations to 1% accuracy. When a former GM calibration engineer looked at his code he exclaimed "It's overkill. 2% is more than sufficient." I'm not sure Scot knows of that part though. Anyway, Scot's a very knowledgeable guy and I believe he's still out there posting.

Greg, as I was learning GM code I had all sorts of props set up. For example, before I'd learned "C" I wrote code in Qbasic to do some of the ecm math so I could watch how the code worked. Problem was, Qbasic didn't do hex and the math had to happen in hex to match the ecm. So I had to write the program to convert decimal to hex and perform math operations on letters. Lotsa work but I learned a lot.

Another time I had pink index cards spread out on the living room floor representing the stack, registers, and memory. I was moving cards from pile to pile, increasing and decreasing the stack with each operation because I just didn't have the picture in my head of how it all worked together. It gave me a visual representation that I can still use today. And I was able to donate the cards to my wife for recipes when I was done. :) x

RobertISaar
08-23-2012, 05:17 AM
as long as i've been on the forum, he's popped on once to ask for help in getting into his W-body.com account, which he promptly posted a For Sale thread of his TSTE GP with custom code. pretty sure he also posted it in the TGPForums for sale section as well, but i really don't remember seeing too much activity, even though it was a ridiculously low price.

i'd really like to see him around more, but i imagine he's got a pretty busy life at this point.

1project2many
08-23-2012, 04:03 PM
I'm not so sure Scot's that busy these days. I know he worked in avionics repair for the "I'll tell you but then I'll have to kill you" guys but I'm betting that he's old enough to have the option to retire. He once told me he tried to dedicate 10 to 20 hrs per week disassembling code every week. I'll bet he has quite a library of code by now.

I'm sure that his car ad matched his personality and completely understated what was really going on.

EagleMark
08-23-2012, 05:03 PM
I haven't started anything yet, just making a list, and seeing if the idea is possible.

LS stuff, I'm not sure. Most '96+ stuff there might be Vortec, maybe harness, PCMs, I have yet to see to see an actual LS engine in a vehicle there.

i have yet to see any LS engine in a yard near me. Here in North Idaho we are ususally 5-10 years behind newer stuff showing up in JY. But I have seen JY back east and salt states loaded with LS engines years ago.

1project2many
08-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Several years ago some guys on an internet forum were complaining they had no high performance lifters available. So I went out to my junk... errr... parts pile and dug out a lifter for that engine and for an Lt1. I dissembled the two, swapped plunger and checkvalve springs, and reassembled one taking pictures along the way. Posted the results and Woohoo! Now there was an upgraded lifter available to the average guy. Pick up some LT1 lifters, swap out the springs, and you're good to go.

I got curious today and started searching. The lifter upgrade is everywhere and not just for that original engine. Guys are talking about it like it's done every day. There are at least two internet stores selling "upgraded" stock lifters and one selling springs only for DIY as well. And I see that an aftermarket company is selling a lifter now that is actually designed for high performance use and will fit in the engine that had no lifters just a few years ago. The thread that introduces it calls it an "alternative" to the hybrid lifter... as if the hybrid is the accepted standard! Too cool. Well, I'm really happy that someone took notice and realized there was a market for these parts. The four and six cylinder guys buying cheap cars and finding ways to get more out of them are the heart of hotrodding today.

RobertISaar
08-23-2012, 06:03 PM
http://www.tgpforums.com/index.php?topic=6234.msg43678#msg43678

Scot's 1990 TSTE, 1 of 1000, $400. last logged in for that post.

on W-body, he hasn't logged in since 2006.
on 60V6, 2 posts since 2004.
he actually logged in to TGO 2 days ago, but he doesn't post often.

JeepsAndGuns
08-24-2012, 02:19 AM
I know now why I did not go to collage. Its just not for me....lol
Just got back from 3 days worth of classes for work. Had to go to the JD school at a collage in northwest mississippi, just south of memphis, TN.
Had a 1 day hydraulic systems class, and a 2 day electrical methods & techniques class. Passed the hyd class with a 90, and the electrical with a 95.
One thing that was funny, the instructor took a recording of the canbus network on a new tractor and when he displayed the data, it looked almost identical to what a bin file looks like in tunerpro when you look at it in the hex editor.

Six_Shooter
08-26-2012, 03:48 AM
You guys can keep your $8D/S_AUJP...

I got back to tuning a friend's truck today that is a conversion ('67 Chev pick-up, with a 365, which is a smaller 409, custom intake manifold, etc.), and I'm VERY much happier with $59, $42, $85, and similar.

The upper and lower VE tables thing is for the birds, constantly switching back and forth to try and get a tune that runs decently clean, or lean is just way more involved than it needs to be.

I haven't figured out how to tune AE really, I think I got it working the way I want, but simple adder tables are MUCH easier to understand than multiple AE multiplier tables.

I really don't understand why people rave so much about $8D/S_AUJP.

RobertISaar
08-26-2012, 05:02 AM
i never really got into 8D either.... seems like GM dropped the ball with it when it came to drivability. the 7165 masks weren't much if any better either. they just seem too minimalist.

it's why i chose A1 to base my custom stuff off of.

1project2many
08-28-2012, 07:56 AM
SRV gone 22 years. :( Had to pull off the road and sit when crash was reported.

EagleMark
08-28-2012, 08:10 AM
SRV gone 22 years. :( Had to pull off the road and sit when crash was reported.You had a crash?

gregs78cam
08-28-2012, 09:37 AM
I was curious as well so a quick google search, Stevie Ray Vaughan, helicopter crash 22 years ago today.

EagleMark
08-28-2012, 02:55 PM
OK makes sense...

Greg there's one of those little Honda cars for sale corner of Seltice and Atlas... Nice looker!

gregs78cam
08-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Yea I saw that one, not too bad, a little rusted out, no interior.

EagleMark
09-10-2012, 07:18 AM
See what I have to put up with all day?

Best dog I have ever had and have had dogs since the day I was born... and he was given to us a year ago when he was 1.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/attachment.php?attachmentid=2986&stc=1&d=1347250676

JeepsAndGuns
09-11-2012, 12:59 AM
Well, had quite a interesting moring/day.
Came into work like normal, had a gator I had to finish up, then another one to work on after that. Finished gator #1, started on gator #2. worked on it for probably a hour and got the problem with the engine fixed, all I needed to do was drive it around a bit to get it up to temp/fully warmed up. We have a old shut down gas station next to the shop which is the corner lot of a big intersection. I was driving around in the parking lot/yard of the station and saw a van stop in the road, then a man and woman get out and push it to the side of the road at the entrance of the gas station parking lot. I drive over to see if I could offer any help. He said he just ran out of gas. I told him we had a can with a couple gallons in it at the shop I could give him to get him to the next station. He thanked me. I go and get the can, come back, park next to the van and walk to the back, look for traffic, none coming, they were stopped at the light. walk around the van, just a few inches inside the white line on the sholder side. I raise the can to start filling it then I suddenly see a black flash, car parts flying and the feeling like I got hit by a car, next thing I know I am setting on the road looking the opposate direction and my right leg killing me. Holy crap, I DID just get hit by a car! My right leg from the knee down hurts badly and cant move it. By then, people were stopping, I got the couple in the van to help me up, since only my leg was hurting and get off the road. They carried me to the gator and I set on the floorboard of it. A few people stop to help, call the cops and whatnot. The car that hit me, stopped a couple hundred yards down the road. We watched them waiting for them to come back, we saw the lady get out of her car, look at the right side of it, where the right side mirror got knocked off by ME...lol. She walked back around her car, got in and drove off! WTF!?
Rescue squad showed up as well as the cops, one took off after her. Rescuse guy took off my boot and looked at my leg/foot. I can still move my toes and everything looks normal other than from my knee to where my boot started looked like you ran a strip of sandpaper down it. Apparently when she hit me, the mirror spun me around and then her back tire got my right foot/leg. Got a ride in the ambulance so my leg could get checked out. Everything else on me was fine, nothing hurt but my leg. While waiting for the x-rays to come back, me and the boss were trying to figure out what and how it hit me. We just so happened to look at my boot and noticed tire tread marks going across the toe! HA, man I LOVE steel toe boots! So her tire ran over my toe and caught my leg. X-rays came back and no broken bones, just a real good sprained ankle. They wrapped it in a ace bandage and sent me on my way.
As the old saying goes, no good deed goes un punished...lol. Cop came back by the hospital to have me a sign a paper and I asked if they caught the woman that hit me. He said they did and she claimed she didnt know she hit anything....LOL. Have no idea what they did to her or whats going to happen to her.

So here I am, bored at the house, have had my leg propped up while laying on the sofa. Now have it propped up on the table next to the computer, I was going crazy just laying there. Surpriseingly my leg doesnt hurt as much as you would think after getting hit by a car. Havent even taken any pain pills, dont think I will need to, didnt even go get the rx filled for them. Only hurts if I try to bend my ankle.

But anyways, just a story to remind you you have to watch out and be carefull no matter what. Hope everyone elses day was better than mine...lol

Six_Shooter
09-11-2012, 04:07 AM
Wow, that is an interesting day.

Hope you recover quickly.

EagleMark
09-11-2012, 05:57 AM
Unbelievable!

Glad your still with us.

RobertISaar
09-11-2012, 07:36 PM
random fact of the day:

my wife loves waffle crisp, but hates maple syrup...

JeepsAndGuns
09-12-2012, 01:08 AM
Ankle has felt better today. I can stand up without the crutches and no pain unless I try to bend it. Got home from work today and unwrapped my foot, still swollen, and now starting to bruise..lol. But feeling much better. If its like my last sprained ankle (the other foot) I should be able to walk without the crutches by the end of the week or sooner.

JeepsAndGuns
09-23-2012, 02:40 AM
Somehow I stumbled across this video of someone with a supercharger on a 4cyl YJ. Very interesting way of mounting it, and makes sense to use a un used spot. They have it mounted basicly where the stock AC compressor would have been.
Only odd thing, is they have it blowing into throttle body, how does that work? I know very little to nothing about superchargers, but all the ones I have seen, the throttle bodies are on the inlet of the supercharger, and the supercharger is bolted to the intake. Thats how all the supercharger kits I have seen for the jeep engines were set up. Had to replace the intake.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhGD1-Izt_M

Here is another one except its on a 4.0. But looks to be the same supercharger as the first vid. Only he has what I am guessing is a blowoff valve. But whats with the extra air filter on the tube going from the supercharger to the throttle body?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35ADXeICrQk&feature=related

Here is yet another, and yet again appears to be the same supercharger with the same 3.8 on the outlet part. Where do these come from? Is there some junkyard engine people are pulling these from? This one however looks to be done more correctly, with the stock TB replaced with a elbow, and the TB moved to the inlet of the charger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2MOy3AKvps&feature=related

Edit.
Found it. These superchargers are from 3.8L ford thunderbirds. I think something from like late 80's to early-mid 90's. Interesting. If I only had the money...lol

CamaroDude85
09-23-2012, 04:47 AM
Yep the Eaton M90. They also used them on the GM 3.8 V6's. years ago a guy had a site on Geocities with a 5.0 Thunderbird that had two of them hooked up somehow. They go for about a 100 bucks on ebay I thought about putting one on the old 20r Toyota pick up I used to have but didn't get much further than that.

RobertISaar
09-23-2012, 07:41 PM
you can have the TB ahead of or behind the blower, but IIRC, it's safer to have it in front of it.

RobertISaar
09-26-2012, 07:45 AM
http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/toad/

i don't know what's going on here, but i don't like it.

CamaroDude85
09-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Wow on http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/pages/obd1-tested-vehicles.htm it even lists the tuning files as being .xdf and .ads......

EagleMark
09-26-2012, 11:59 AM
There's tons of those programs for OBDII, most are crap. For the cables and all the Europian vehicles there are also tons of them, I've even seen software to reset speedometers.

But looking at the OBDI list it's a direct copy from TunerPro. So either TP sold rights or was ripped off.

EagleMark
09-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Just got an email from the China comapny who does these...

Dear good client
How are you
I am lisa, we do car diagnostic tools such
as vag diagnostic tools,professional diagnostic tools,launch x431 tools,key
programmer,chip tuning tools,Mileage correction tools and so on
We have many new tools now

1.Launch x431 tool
2.Auto ecu programmer
3.vag diagnostic
tool
4. IC socket
5.Auto key programmer
6.Mileage
correction
7.oil service reset
8.obd2 scanner tool

We have the best quality with best after-sale service
Please contact me
when you need
Best wishes
Lisa

RobertISaar
09-26-2012, 05:20 PM
i sent Mark a message about it, he was unaware as well....

JeepsAndGuns
09-27-2012, 01:51 AM
Humm, definately something fishy smelling about that place.

Six_Shooter
09-27-2012, 04:55 AM
WTF??

My "math" professor wants us to write a JavaScript program to take some numerical input and convert it to a different numerical output, involving, in my case, concerting the arctangent of .5714 to the cos result...

JavaScript is not even part of the program I am in. :facepalm:

We have example code, but no direction on how to manipulate it...

There are lots of complaints about this "professor," amongst the students, and not just because of this.

EagleMark
09-27-2012, 05:19 AM
Talk to jimindorris, he's a javescript instructor...

Six_Shooter
09-27-2012, 06:04 AM
It's due tomorrow night. :facepalm:

I'll just go to math class tomorrow for "help" hopefully to get it done and figure out what the hell he wants, since another student thinks we need to do something very different from what I think we need to do. :facepalm:

jim_in_dorris
09-27-2012, 08:49 AM
If I understand it properly, what you want is basically "myresult= Math.cos(math.atan(.5714))" That is to say, the arctan function will return an angle in radians, you then get the cos of that value.

Six_Shooter
09-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Yeah, sounds about right, but the "example" code has 3 different results, based on angle input, so I'm trying to work through it and see what is going on.

There's some confusion between the students on exactly what the prof wants our "programs" to do. So, I'm just going to go to math class and ask for help.

1project2many
09-27-2012, 06:31 PM
http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/toad/ (http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/toad/)

i don't know what's going on here, but i don't like it.

Agreed.

totalcardiagnostics.com

Technical Contact:
Speed Success, Inc.
Andre Vas (andrejvasil@yahoo.com.au)
+61.413681429
Fax: +61.299871919
28/6-10 May St. Hornsby
Sydney, P 2077
AU

"SPEED SUCCESS, INC." - Reverse Whois LookupBelow is the report for the domain owner "SPEED SUCCESS, INC.".
Our records show 29 currently registered domains and 48 previously registered domains with that search string in the WHOIS record. The oldest record in our archive for which your search string appears is for the domain ASTOUNDINGINC.COM and was captured on 08/06/2004. There are 1 unique nameserver used on the current domain list and 8 additional unique nameservers used on the historical list.

speedsuccess.com
astoundinginc.com
dailycognition.com
speedsuccess.net
overstockaustralia.com
sitesor.com
wholesalefinder.com.au

Can't find any real info about the tuning services / ability offered on totalcardiagnostics.com and I'm guessing everything on that page has been stolen from other sites.