Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lt1 24x ls conversion

lt1 24x ls conversion

Anybody heard anything about this outfit?

http://www.torqhead.com/buy-24xlink-...=0&sort=normal

Better price than EFI Connection for early non OBDII equipped engines.

Their kit uses stock style hub and external 24x wheel.
    So eliminates the cost of acquiring a '96-'97 timing cover, and matching hub on a '94 like mine.
    Tony

'88 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (aka Babywag)
    '67 Jeep J3000
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT8

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by babywag View Post
    Anybody heard anything about this outfit?http://www.torqhead.com/buy-24xlink-...=0&sort=normalBetter price than EFI Connection for early non OBDII equipped engines.Their kit uses stock style hub and external 24x wheel.So eliminates the cost of acquiring a '96-'97 timing cover, and matching hub on a '94 like mine.
    I am not really a fan of external pickups as they are more easily damaged. That being said I see no reason it would not work. The OBD2 covers are getting harder and harder to find because they only used them for 2 years and many people are doing these swaps. The hub is an easy fix, just mill it down the width of the reluctor wheel and good to go. I milled a performance Fluid Dampner down for my 5.7 Vortec when I did the 24x swap on my Express. They did not make a Vortec specific dampner at the time I did my swap and I doubt that they currently make one. Turning 6,000+ on a stock rotating assembly I figured I needed all the help I could get to protect the nodular iron crank. I am actually running my Express on a 2003 based Express van 6.0L PCM. It was out of a DBC van but have now gone drive by wire. GM also has a 1 meg 350 calibration they used in Mexico and South America on the 5.7 L31 in a GMT 800 truck that can help with initial tuning. I would recomeend dual knock sensors with the conversion and mirroring the knock table values for the even cylinders on the odd bank. Makes for a more accurate system and less false knock retard.
    Last edited by Fast355; 12-12-2016 at 02:47 AM.

Unfortunately I'm a cheapass, with a matching budget LOL.
    Even if I could/did find a cover @ a price I was okay with, the machining of the hub would still also add to the total cost.

Machine shops around here aren't cheap, and even small jobs are sometimes ridiculous in price.
    I honestly think they give a stupid $ quote sometimes, because they just don't want to do the job.
    Some won't even do small jobs, and understandably it just isn't worth it to them.
    Like when I asked a local shop to weld a pair of AN fittings on an oil cooler line flange....$40/ea. was the reply
    Yet all their guys are standing around with their thumb up their ass in shop...
    I went to a local AC shop, and they charged me $10 for both, and it was done in like 10 minutes.

Most of the local small machine/speed shops that once existed, are long gone. Used to be a couple real good ones here, but
    no longer the case.
    Tony

'67 Jeep J3000
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT8

Quote Originally Posted by babywag View Post
    I honestly think they give a stupid $ quote sometimes, because they just don't want to do the job.
    Some won't even do small jobs, and understandably it just isn't worth it to them.
    That is exactly why they do it. It is hard to make money doing a small job like that when the amount they charge you won't even cover the hourly wage of the employee doing the work. So they have to charge a large amount to make it worth their while.
    I have been on both sides of this. It sucks when you need a small quick job done but no one wants to do it. But also back when me and my brother in law used to do commercial lawn service, there were people that lived way out in the boonies wanting their lawn cut. But it was 30-45 min drive or more just to get to them. It was not worth the fuel, employee hourly wage, and time to drive all the way out there to charge a normal fee. We had to price the job higher to make it profitable, we could not afford to lose money. Some customers would pay it because no one else would come and do it. Others would not.

You might check around in your area to see if there are any hobby machinists out there who might help you out. You might try putting up a ad on craigslist.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Fuel Injected!
    I installed the EFI Connection machined cover and 24X reluctor on my gen1 TPI. Big $$ but clean install. A little competition doesn't hurt. Now looking for a harness.

Well there are now 2 '96 b-bodies @ a yard 60 miles from me.Figures...no time to go now. With any luck maybe I can still score a cover after Christmas?
    Tony

'67 Jeep J3000
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT8

Well, 'bit the bullet and ordered an EFIConnection LT1 24x kit today.
    Banking on being able to get a cheap '96-'97 cover and hub from the JY. Going to head down probably Friday, and hopefully one will be available still?

I have a complete donor harness/coils/pcm/etc. (actually a couple) to choose from in the garage.
    Plan will be to repin my existing harness, and rob whatever wiring from the harness I need.

I debated heavily on an LS engine swap, but with all the misc. odds/ends needed, and the same smog requirements, this is the cheaper and easier way to go.

The swap will need to comply with CA smog, so I'll need to add a 2nd pair of o2 sensors.
    I'll have to state that it is a 2002 computer system so I hopefully can eliminate the EGR valve. Hoping the smog referee will agree with this?
    If not, then some fabrication will be required to utilize the computer controlled EGR valve.
    Since the donor 2001 system EGR is sorta remote mounted, I think it could easily be made to work. Would just be a matter of redneck engineering.
    The EVAP system shouldn't be hard to get working, if the 0411 cannot utilize the LT1 solenoid, I'll just use an LS solenoid.

From past reading online I recall being able to control an early 4L60E (1994) transmission with the 0411 by changing a few things?
    Or add a floppy pwm solenoid in the pan?
    I just can't find the thread. Can anyone verify this?

I was also wondering if it would be possible to utilize the LM7 truck injectors, and a different fuel pressure regulator?
    My injectors are likely OE and 14x,xxx miles, I have several sets of LM7 injectors, one set has already been cleaned/flow tested.
    Need to research this more though. I know they make adjustable regulators, I just don't recall reading/seeing anything about LM7 injectors being used.

Pretty stoked though, looking forward to this project.
    Tony

'67 Jeep J3000
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT8

Fuel Injected!
    My two cents when it comes to emissions, is to try and retain all emissions related equipment from the vehicle in use.

The LT1 / L99 EGR should have the same 5 terminal connector as the LS style EGRs did. Both will be a "linear" EGR, and the 0411 PCM should control the LT1 EGR just fine.

With an LS engine, the EVAP Purge Solenoid receives 12 volts of power from the fuse block, and the PCM (0411) grounds the solenoid to activate it. If the LT1 EVAP solenoid functions the same way, then 0411 should control it correctly.

As long as the Multec 2 (LM7) fuel injectors fit your intake manifold and fuel rail correctly, there is nothing wrong with using them. GM has provided all the injector specific data that you will need to properly program them - unlike many aftermarket fuel injectors.

If you currently have EV1 style fuel injectors, these use "pull to seat" terminals, meaning that you will have to cut the wires to remove them from your wiring harness. The Multec 2 fuel injectors use "push to seat" terminals, which means that you crimp the terminals to the wires, then insert them into the connector.

If I recall correctly, the 1993 and 1994 4L60E do not use a TCC PWM Solenoid Valve Control (pin U in the later 4L60E connectors). The TCC works similar to a 4L80E. You should be able to make it work - but I have never done this before, so I don't know what would be required.

I am a huge proponent of using the 0411 PCM in older platforms wherever possible. They work great, and are user friendly to tune.

The '94 LT1 EGR valve is vacuum operated, via an electronically controlled vacuum solenoid. I may retrofit the later LM7 style EGR just to cover my butt?
    In CA the year of engine dictates the emissions devices. So usually defaults to the newer engine.
    Even though it isn't an engine swap, that is how the referee will look @ it during the inspection.

I have grown tired of the OBDI stuff, and am really excited about the project.
    Tony

'67 Jeep J3000
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT8

Fuel Injected!
    It's worth getting the EFI Connection book they put out- heavy on LT1. I believe the 411 will only control +1995 4L60E.

Fuel Injected!
    There are OEM calibrations for the 0411 PCM that will control a later 4L60E and a 4L80. The early 4L60E uses the same transmission controls (shift solenoid, TFT, power circuits) as the later 4L60E does - the only difference in the TCC. The early 4L60E uses the same TCC as the 4L80E - which an 0411 PCM can operate.

So the 0411 PCM can indeed control all of the necessary functions of an early 4L60E, the question becomes can the calibration be correctly altered (TCC function) with tuning software to make this a "simple" solution.

Fuel Injected!
    You should be able to put a resistor to simulate the PWM solenoid and then program the PWM TCC tables to 100% so the PCM doesn't know it's not controlling the PWM solenoid.

Hacked up a perfectly good harness this afternoon...and I don't even feel bad about it, it's for a good cause.
    Have everything I need to re-pin & modify my harness waiting now. Got tracking# from EFIConnection ETA 01/09.
    Raining today so no JY trip to see about snagging a timing cover/hub.

The whole mess after ~2 hours of separating everything. Anybody need anything from an '01 DBW 4L60E harness?

Last edited by babywag; 01-01-2017 at 01:29 AM.
    Tony

'67 Jeep J3000
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT8

Fuel Injected!
    So.....for an early 4L60E TCC, would that be similar to 700R4 TCC ?

Fuel Injected!
    If you are running a 411 pcm, you should make sure the trans internal electronics are 96up. for reference regarding the 4L60E : 92, 93-94, 95, 96-97, 98-06(LS style), 07-08, 09-...Buddrow
    If it don't fit force it, if it don't force fit f&%@ it!