Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ostrich 2.0 Prblems

Fuel Injected!

Ostrich 2.0 Prblems

With the ostrich 2.0 hooked up the engine runs very rough and will cut in and out
    at idle and intermittent engine light, engine seems to run fine with just a chip
    installed, I am using it with a 7727 ecm. I have been only plugging it into my android device when
    I need to make a change. does it need to be plugged in all the time when the motor is running.

Fuel Injected!
    Either the Ostrich needs to be installed, or, the eeprom it's emulating has to be plugged in.

If neither are plugged in, you will see exactly what you are getting.

I run my Ostrich with no USB connection most of the time, no issue... The Ostrich can be used in an E/EPROM replacement way.

I do however have one Ostrich, that through possibly something that I did in maybe possibly using the ECM case as a ground for something possibly while testing seems to need to be plugged in otherwise the ECM doesn't read from it. That reminds me I need to contact Moates about getting it repaired...

It does sound like the ECM is not correctly reading the bin file stored on the Ostrich though. When you plug it into a device does the poor running go away, or do it still remain?
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    I read the original post, but apparently by the time I got to the end of your post, I must have forgotten that you indicated that you actually had the Ostrich plugged in and still had your issues.

My bad.

I'm confused now by reading your question again.

You started off by stating that with the Ostrich plugged in, you have issues, but everything is good with the chip in.

Then you state that you only plug the ostrich in when you make a change and it's connected to the android.

I don't know, but Six_Shooter might, does that ECM require a Checksum disable?

If your engine is running poorly and the check engine light is intermittent, what then are you changing?

Fuel Injected!
    When I have time I will have to try it with my android plugged in and disconnected, so far the only changes I have made was to idle and timing at idle and different bins.
    If I burn a bin to a chip it will run fine just off the chip. I may wait until I get a laptop that runs windows so I can use tunerpro RT, I like using aldldroid for data logging
    but so far not for making changes using the ostrich.

Fuel Injected!
    OK I finally got a win 10 tablet to run Tuner Pro RT, I am still having the same problem so I contacted
    moates support and he is saying that I either have a bad bin or a checksum issue I asked how I could check for a checksum issue and said that the mask id has to be $AA hex not $8D hex. I am not sure what that means being new to this so if any one is able to inform me please do.

Open Tunerpro and look for something like this screenshot. Change from 8D to AA.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by sturgillbd View Post
    Open Tunerpro and look for something like this screenshot. Change from 8D to AA.
    OK found it thank you.

Fuel Injected!
    so changing the chip code mask to AA disables the checksum, should you also do this when you burn a chip I am guessing not based on the fact I have burned several chips with no problem. also what does this do concerning the ostrich 2.0

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by damanx View Post
    I read the original post, but apparently by the time I got to the end of your post, I must have forgotten that you indicated that you actually had the Ostrich plugged in and still had your issues.

My bad.

I'm confused now by reading your question again.

You started off by stating that with the Ostrich plugged in, you have issues, but everything is good with the chip in.

Then you state that you only plug the ostrich in when you make a change and it's connected to the android.

I don't know, but Six_Shooter might, does that ECM require a Checksum disable?

If your engine is running poorly and the check engine light is intermittent, what then are you changing?
    sorry for the late reply with the ostrich plugged in or not the car seems like it is running in limp home mode will barley idle etc. only changes are idle, fans, etc.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by eutu1960 View Post
    sorry for the late reply with the ostrich plugged in or not the car seems like it is running in limp home mode will barley idle etc. only changes are idle, fans, etc.
    As far as I know, the only time you change the checksum to AA is when you are using the Ostrich in emulation mode.

Now I'm not so sure about burning a chip whether that makes a difference. To be on the safe side, when you burn a chip, you can just change the checksum back to what it originally was.

Fuel Injected!
    well tried a different bin and changed the chip code mask to AA that seems to have worked, I then developed a vacuum leak
    (evap solenoid) and had to stop testing.

The reason for setting the mask code to AA is this: GM uses the checksum to let the ecm know if the bin file is corrupt or not. The bin file has a checksum. The ecm loads the file and calculates the checksum. It checks the calculated checksum against the checksum saved in the bin. If the checksums do not match, it sets and prom error code. When the mask is set to AA the ecm ignores the checksum and you can make changes to the bin realtime and not trip limp home mode. When making edits, saving the bin, and burning a chip, TunerPro is updating the bin file with the proper checksum.

HTH

Brian

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by sturgillbd View Post
    The reason for setting the mask code to AA is this: GM uses the checksum to let the ecm know if the bin file is corrupt or not. The bin file has a checksum. The ecm loads the file and calculates the checksum. It checks the calculated checksum against the checksum saved in the bin. If the checksums do not match, it sets and prom error code. When the mask is set to AA the ecm ignores the checksum and you can make changes to the bin realtime and not trip limp home mode. When making edits, saving the bin, and burning a chip, TunerPro is updating the bin file with the proper checksum.

HTH

Brian
    Thank You

Fuel Injected!
    Hey Brian,

So when you burn a chip from an edited BIN while the mask is set to AA, will the mask also be written to the eeprom as AA?

I suppose that I could simply burn a chip and see.