Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stand alone tranmission controller

Fuel Injected!
    Still tuned in for updates. After constantly hitting brick wall after brick wall trying to find help hacking the JTEC, Im giving up on it all together. I want to build a trans controller that is arduino based and get it working so I can 86 the JTEC in favor of something with a little bit more support, maybe MSIII. I want a working controller and associated calibration. Good thing the 46/47RE transmissions are really basic as compared to other electronically controlled counterparts.

Any suggestions on what arduino to use?

Also need suggestions to drive the 4th gear, and TCC switches, and the EPC?

If you can also suggest parameters for shifting patterns too? I have some plans written out but I know theres a lot missing.

Thanks!
    '86 Grand National

Fuel Injected!
    34blazer,

Still working on it. I will tell you that for now, the source code will not be available but support will be.

What year is the transmission you plan on using this with? I can help you identify year ranges if you are unsure as there are differnces in say 1988-1994ish, 1995-2003, 2004up. While these do not pose any real issues, it is important to know for proper control/operation.

If you're still interested let me know but don't be in too big of a hurry as this isn't my day job. :-) I can build whatever you need from the controller to the harness.

Buddrow
    If it don't fit force it, if it don't force fit f&%@ it!

Carb and Points!
    Hi Buddrow , and the rest of the people reading -

I found your thread talking about how you're building an Arduino board that controls the 4L80E. I've been trying to decide on which commercial controller I've wanted to buy for some time now and then stumbled across this you tube video where a guy is using an Arduino to control a Mercedes transmission. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKrw--4Su1M

So I searched for one for the 4L80e and found your thread. I see you've been working this for about a year now, are you close to completion? My 365 ci Cadillac is running a 4l80e via adapter plate, I just need a controller. If yours is almost ready to go, I'd give it a shot.

My one suggestion for the build would be to integrate an attached display like in the video above (tuning in the car without needing a computer would be nice for some running just a carb). Maybe have the option to detach it if someone wants to hide the display? (But maybe all of the tuning is going to be done via Tuner Pro?). Eventually I'm wanting to convert my 365 to sequential fuel injection and add 1-2 turbos on it.. yes, I'm crazy. Thanks for the read, hope the project is coming along!

Alex

Fuel Injected!
    Alex aka HotRodCadillac,

Dig the name and the project. Glad to hear you "stumbled" across my thread. I was never really happy with the aftermarket units as a whole. They work but, much like the gentleman in the video, they seem a bit over complicated for the average gearhead. And seeing how transmissions are mystery boxes to most people anyway, I wanted to make a more user friendly version.

I could possibly release a beta version soon just keep posted. As for now, tuning is done via a terminal program and excel. I have a GUI console in the works but it is very, very early in the process. I do have an .adx for TunerPro which can be used for datalogging the controller but no tuning/programming currently(I know I posted that I had it programming via TunerPro but i must have been high lol).

Adding a "simple" LCD display wouldn't be too hard, just gotta have a demand for it, definitely keep it in mind as an option.

Oh, and I have an option for a shift light output just in case that piques your interest. Also, for now, in order to use my controller with a GM factory ecm or electronic instrument cluster, you will have to piggyback a DRAC module for the correct input signal to the ecm/instrument cluster.

Buddrow

Fuel Injected!
    any updates?
    '86 Grand National

Fuel Injected!
    34blazer and to whom it may concern,

Progress has been hit and miss. I still have some testing to do and software to update on both the 4l60e and the 4l80e. If you are interested in beta testing a unit, I may entertain the idea just pm me and we can talk. Other than that, it is coming along just slowly these days with all I have going on. I have gotten another project done though, it's an electric fan/water pump controller with LCD display. It is about a month or so from being in a box but it is done. As always if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Buddrow

Carb and Points!
    Hi Buddrow, I'm still watching. Hope this thing is still something you tinker with. I'll be checking back for updates. See ya!

Alex

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by HotRodCadillac View Post
    Hi Buddrow, I'm still watching. Hope this thing is still something you tinker with. I'll be checking back for updates. See ya!

Alex
    Alex,

Yes it is still in development. Still have in vehicle testing to be done and calibration software to write. I am lookong to have it interfaced with Tunerpro for tuning but as of now it only logs data and shows dtc faults. I dont currently have a set in ston launch date but lilely after the first of the year. Stay tuned and hit me up with any questions or comments u may habe as they are always considered amd answered as promptly as possible.

Buddrow

Carb and Points!
    Me and my father are putting together 2 projects involving 2 4L80E transmissions. Im not an expert at code or even arduino but we just purchased 2 arduino 256 boards and 2 sets of 4 channel relays. We have several miscellaneous components to go with these. I have had success in programming other automated programs in the past. Maybe i can help share your work load with the 4L80E side of your programming? I know I have to use PWM on the pressure solenoid and i know which frequencies to use. Some code to start with getting me in the right direction for automatic shifting and how you use the map sensor in conjunction would be the biggest hurdle for me. It would be real nice for us to not have to use our toggle switches anymore lol. Maybe we can help each other out?

1979 Caballero 496BBC 4l80E
    1991 C1500 454BBC 4l80E
    Last edited by IbleedChevy; 11-04-2015 at 01:22 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by IbleedChevy View Post
    Me and my father are putting together 2 projects involving 2 4L80E transmissions. Im not an expert at code or even arduino but we just purchased 2 arduino 256 boards and 2 sets of 4 channel relays. We have several miscellaneous components to go with these. I have had success in programming other automated programs in the past. Maybe i can help share your work load with the 4L80E side of your programming? I know I have to use PWM on the pressure solenoid and i know which frequencies to use. Some code to start with getting me in the right direction for automatic shifting and how you use the map sensor in conjunction would be the biggest hurdle for me. It would be real nice for us to not have to use our toggle switches anymore lol. Maybe we can help each other out?

1987 Caballero 496BBC 4l80E
    1991 C1500 454BBC 4l80E
    No offense, but I am not really interested in sharing the code Ive spent the last year developing at the moment.
    the only real component i am working on lining out is the pressure control system. The basic shift pattern is pretty easy to figure out.I can help you out with that but the rest is confidential at least for now. PM me and we can talk more.

Buddrow

Fuel Injected!
    I realized it's been a while since I've posted an update so here goes.

The 4L60E/4L80E transmission controller is ready for the road. I have also been working on an alternative to TunerPro. Even Though I'm a fan, I was ultimately looking for a simpler interface which is what I have. Attached are screen shots of the interface program. It currently has "full" functionality minus some diag stuff I'm still putting together, a work in progress as always.

I can also put together controllers for GM FWD, Ford OD trans both 4 and 5 speeds and the Chrysler RWD's are soon to follow. When the TCU website is up I will post a link for interested parties. Thanks for looking.

If anyone is interested you can contact me via email or PM.

Buddrow

Administrator
    Neat.

Will you be releasing a TP definition? I'm thinking of the folks that have gotten used to Tunerpro but may not be comfortable learning new software.

Fuel Injected!
    I already have an .adx for it, havent worked out the xdf yet. The software is meant to be easy to use so there isnt much of a learning curve such as you would have with TP. As far as veiwing and logging sensor data and whatnot, both TP and my Gui will do the job. If you look back a few pages om this thread you will find the adx i built.

Buddrow

Fuel Injected!
    cool beans
    '86 Grand National

Fuel Injected!
    34blazer, are you still looking for a replacement for the JTEC? I'm looking into the dodge stuff now days and could use a tester if you're interested just pm me.

"Any suggestions on what arduino to use?

Also need suggestions to drive the 4th gear, and TCC switches, and the EPC?"

Since the 46/47/48RE's only have a few inputs/outputs, you could use an UNO or even a Pro Mini or Nano. I use a MEGA which has twice the ram and almost 3 times the I/O of the aforementioned boards.

The EPC you refer to is the governor pressure solenoid which has an accompanying pressure sensor used for feedback to the tcm. On the 2003 or 2004 model 48RE Dodge used an electronic Throttle valve control on the diesel engines. The electro-mechanical TV control unit is prone to failure, pricey and mounted to bosses cast into the case so you have to use the 48RE case.

Anywho, I'll have the website up and going before long but be patient while I add product and tech info. Anyone interested or want more information feel free to pm me.Thanks for reading.

Buddrow