Quote Originally Posted by delcowizzid View Post
Test them with an ecu running on them from what I remember they have the retard built in for limp home mode running and ahouldnt have the timing shift if the are in est mode being controlled by the ecu
Based on what I read over at third gen it sounds as if they tested on a running engine. When I gather enough modules my plan is to spin it up on the distributor machine with a 7427 and harness I have laying around. Just for my own curiosity. I was always told when in limp mode they all had a 10 degree jump at 1600 rpm so I'll check that too while I'm testing.

The latency issue with the msd distributors was found on the dyno. I was back east tuning a few engines and one was a combination we had done about a dozen times and always made ~940-950 hp and all of a sudden this one wouldn't make 900hp. After verifying everything we could mechanically I noticed the msd distributor and he said he just started using these so we checked the timing and it wasn't following what was commanded. Poor guy, I had him out at the engine verifying timing all the way to 6000 rpm while I adjust the latency numbers. I felt for him while he had to check all that with the engine screaming and a blower belt right there too. :( He came back in from the cell shaking like a leaf.

Thanks, Fast355 for popping in with that info.