Thread: Performance tuning the 4L60E and 4L80E Transmission VIA PCM

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Looking to make some tuning changes to my tranny before I take it out for rebuild this winter. The tranny has a stock tune, stock converter, Trans-go HD2 shift kit and Corvette servos. By spring that will be a different story. I am just starting to use TunerPro and I was comparing the attached V4P tune to mine and noticed that the tables are completely different (the numbers in the tables are very erratic), is that because I am using Advanced $0D TP5 v250.xdf for my truck and not the one for the Cadillac? For starters, do I need to copy all the tranny info from the V4P bin to mine as far as the 4L60E settings go?
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'm not sure about taking settings from one bin to another, let alone one mask to another, then there are differences in 94 to 95 trans.

To see the values in the Caddy VP4 bin you need to use the mask for that PCM which is $EE. So correct $0D won't work.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...rmation-EE-EEB

There's also a lot of differant tables and changing one can effect others.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by Cadride View Post
    Looking to make some tuning changes to my tranny before I take it out for rebuild this winter. The tranny has a stock tune, stock converter, Trans-go HD2 shift kit and Corvette servos. By spring that will be a different story. I am just starting to use TunerPro and I was comparing the attached V4P tune to mine and noticed that the tables are completely different (the numbers in the tables are very erratic), is that because I am using Advanced $0D TP5 v250.xdf for my truck and not the one for the Cadillac? For starters, do I need to copy all the tranny info from the V4P bin to mine as far as the 4L60E settings go?
    if its built right there will no need to modify anything but the shift points. a good shift kit and valve body modification will increase line pressure. according the the transmission guy that built mine, tuning for more on top of what the kit is doing for you could cause problems. I have harsh/fast shifts in all 4 gears with no tuning except the shift points.
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,

Thanks guys for the info. I have a lot of learning to do.

Mark thanks for the mask file; definitely a lot different than the $OD mask. I have started a spread sheet listing the differences in the two masks for trans controls for curiosity purposes. I will do some playing around and let you know what I learn.

The trans cal of the Caddy V4P towing pakage is a sweet setup from factory. Really makes driving a B body more performance oriented. Would be nice in a truck, I think! But trucks are way better then a B body to begin with. So far 0 shift times have been a great improvement to a stock 4l60E trans in truck my old RoadMaster and my 98 Vortec Silverado, although this truck has had the best trans driving I have seen stock!

Since the Caddy tow package bin is a 1994, I'm not sure how it would work in a 1995? 94 to 95 4l60E are differant as the 95 has a PWM TCC! There is also an extra wire on the harness from PCM to trans!

There's also a way to run one wire to a switch for the Performance table to be used in B bodies. The switch only came in one car, the Trans Am I beleive.

Right now I'm playing with TCC lock up times for the driving I do. Seems they want to kick in at speed limit and then I speed up... so I slow down and the TCC unlocks. Got it all dialed in and when Cruise Control is on they are differant? Look in the mask for a 1998 and there's another table for when in Cruise.

Guess my point was there are so many differant tables you can screw things up! Once I had 1 of the 3 speedo scalers off in the LT1 $EE and the trans shifter 3-4-3-4-3-4-3-4 at 75 MPH and my tranny got hot before I noticed it! CEL for hot trans.

Idea for a spreadsheet would be to enter values from all tables and change one so others change correctly. There is a Speedo Calculater in the $EE thread! OBDII TunerCat and EFI live have them built in and can have 600 changes for tire or gear change.

-= =-

My truck is a 94, but after comparing the tables between $0D and $EE I'm getting in way over my head. I was hoping that I could use just the info from the performance tables, but like you said what I don't know could kill my tranny.

Did you put 0 for shift times in the "desired shift time vs TPS" mine is currently 1st 875, 2nd 1000, and 3rd 800 at WOT. I have read from different forums that changing line pressure or changing shift times can have the same affect. I would personally think the way you have gone changing the time would be the easiest on the drivetrain components. I changed the MPH that it shifts at under different conditions mostly for the gearing change that I made.

Thanks for the prewarning on the TCC lock up at this point I don't plan to make changes there.

I looked in a bin for $0D and I beleive those settings should be .850 and IIRC I did end up at 0 or .100. Sneak up on them, cut in half and see how it feels. RInse and repeat.

When I was plsying with shift times I did lots of data and tranny temps went down a little with short or 0 shift times compared to stock/sluuuuuuussssssshhhhhhhh

-= =-

Carb and Points!
    In the thread title you mention 4L80E, and that is why I came in here, to find information about tuning for a 4L80E behind an LT1. However, it looks to me that most of the information is about tuning for a 4L60E. Am I missing something?

I don't want to hijack your thread. Do you know if the 4L60E tables parameters are basically the same as what I would need for a 4L80E?