Thread: PCM 16196396 Range selector 4L60E?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    Since getting the fueling dialed in i only get knocks when i first start it when it fires initially and then sometimes when i sbap the throttle and under power enrichment. I reduced the power enrichment table and i think that solved knock retard i havent seen it come back since but the knock counts still pile up eventually even tho no knock retard occurs.

Fuel Injected!
    And the seat of my pants says its down on power when i get on it trying accelerate hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob 689 View Post
    Since getting the fueling dialed in i only get knocks when i first start it when it fires initially and then sometimes when i sbap the throttle and under power enrichment. I reduced the power enrichment table and i think that solved knock retard i havent seen it come back since but the knock counts still pile up eventually even tho no knock retard occurs.
    Counts are normal, if its not retarding its fine. If you wish to dial in timing there are several write ups on it.
    My advice is take it slow

On the third gen forum there was a spreadsheet for creating a spark table.
    Just remember the heads don't like as much timing as the old open chambers, and 87 octane probably doesn't tolerate much if any more than stock unless you have a big cam that bleeds off compression.

I think I would try changing the zero's to 2's and log it and see if retards, if no noticeable performance increase I would put it back to stock. just my $0.02
    No need to re-invent the wheel. But we can make it better

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...gnition-Timing

Here is a thread I started asking the community about spark advance.

Stevo's reply in post #8 was a really good explanation

Quote Originally Posted by ralmo94 View Post
    Counts are normal, if its not retarding its fine. If you wish to dial in timing there are several write ups on it.

Just remember the heads don't like as much timing as the old open chambers, and 87 octane probably doesn't tolerate much if any more than stock unless you have a big cam that bleeds off compression.

I think I would try changing the zero's to 2's and log it and see if retards, if no noticeable performance increase I would put it back to stock. just my $0.02
    Is this the one you're talking about? 84Elky posted it here too.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...ml#post6301288

Yes I believe that is the one. I remembered it having a pretty good write up along with it too

Fuel Injected!
    pretty common to see knock counts on startup and shutdown. tip-in knock counts could be timing related or fuel mixture. TBI heads don't need much all in timing they are an efficient chamber. 25-30* all in. Cruise will like mid-30s to low 40s, this is not your "regular" 36* all in SBC head, so try and not pay attention to too much you read on the internet...
    Last edited by tayto; 10-10-2022 at 10:58 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by tayto View Post
    pretty common to see knock counts on startup and shutdown. tip-in knock counts could be timing related or fuel mixture. TBI heads don't need much all in timing they are an efficient chamber. 25-30* all in. Cruise will like mid-30s to low 40s, this is not your "regular" 36* all in SBC head, so try and not pay attention to too much you read on the internet...
    What are the consequences of too far retarded ignition?

Aside from ridding it of knocks how do you know what it needs for peak power or at least as close to there as humanly possible without a dyno.
    Last edited by Rob 689; 10-12-2022 at 08:51 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by ralmo94 View Post

Thank you. Yeah i probably wont mess with timing much really until i get the vortec built and swapped in. I might try changing the zeros to see like you say. gotta finish the fueling first i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob 689 View Post
    Thank you. Yeah i probably wont mess with timing much really until i get the vortec built and swapped in. I might try changing the zeros to see like you say. gotta finish the fueling first i think.
    If you swap vortec heads, I would start with a stock vortec timing table then