Thread: No idle closed loop 7427 $0D

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Finally got this one done...Bad battery cables, bad ground to PCM, bad 12 volt wire to 02 sensor, TBI leaking gas, broken regulator spring...Completely rebuilt TBI, splice in 12 volts to 02, fixed battery cables and PCM ground. Retuned the truck for a really rich idle, raised timing at idle and raised idle speed to 700 RPM. The truck smoothed out and the MAP went down to 42 KPA. Truck runs great now....what a pain..
    Last edited by 96lt4c4; 11-18-2012 at 06:32 PM.

-1999 Hugger Orange SS, LS2 402 T56, 9 inch Ford 3.90 gears, Tuned with HP Tuners
    -2002 Cavalier, Tuned with HP Tuners
    -1994 Full Size Blazer ,383 TBI 4L60E, 4.10's, Tuned with Tunerpro RT (Where it all began)

Didn't mess with checking the timing with the bias out, I just put it back in and retuned the truck. I was a little frustrated...

-1999 Hugger Orange SS, LS2 402 T56, 9 inch Ford 3.90 gears, Tuned with HP Tuners
    -1994 Full Size Blazer ,383 TBI 4L60E, 4.10's, Tuned with Tunerpro RT (Where it all began)

Quote Originally Posted by 96lt4c4 View Post
    Finally got this one done...Bad battery cables, bad ground to PCM, bad 12 volt wire to 02 sensor, TBI leaking gas, broken regulator spring...Completely rebuilt TBI, splice in 12 volts to 02, fixed battery cables and PCM ground. Retuned the truck for a really rich idle, raised timing at idle and raised idle speed to 700 RPM. The truck smoothed out and the MAP went down to 42 KPA. Truck runs great now....what a pain..
    Very very rarely do I get a vehicle to tune that does not have mechanical issues, that effect tune...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Very very rarely do I get a vehicle to tune that does not have mechanical issues, that effect tune...

and they always blame everything on the tune. Heard that somewhere recently.

To be honest, I have done it myself. After dealing with TBICHIPS, it WAS often true. I had a random high idle for the past year and just brushed it off thinking it was in the tune. I finally bought a multi meter and checked the TPS, which was at .34. adjusted back to .54 and all is good.

and they always blame everything on the tune. Heard that somewhere recently
    So true! I believe it's one of the reasons many shops simply won't touch this stuff. And I love the words "Oh, this engine was rebuilt by the best in the business!", which somehow makes the tuning even more suspect.

Carb and Points!
    the shop that built my motor did in fact blame everything on the tune. however, that blame was well-placed. Easy to blame a mail-order tune, not so on a in-person tune.

Mail order=poop

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by 96lt4c4 View Post
    Mail order=poop
    ya think?

Oh, and brinako's comment is true too. The guy I wanted to build my motor said he would do so in stock form only. He would not do anything beyond that b/c if it ran wrong, he could be blamed. His exact words were "I won't touch it". surprised the hell out of me really.