Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Memcal eBay and Software Scams

The V6 MEMCALs are much more plentiful than the TBI MEMCALs, which is why the V6 MEMCALs are used.

The V6 MEMCALs were used from about 1987 to 1994 in many applications, whereas the TBI MEMCALs were used from about 1992 to 1995, and only in pick up trucks, and not all pick up trucks of those years.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Mark, it's refereshing to be on this board. I've been through something very similar. In 2000 or so an individual started a business selling Jeep EFI conversion kits and was using gmecm for tech and product support. The list moderator didn't choose any sides after it was brought up on list even though it was clearly a violation of trust and policy and a bunch of the really talented guys cut back on posting anything new or good.
    Clearly an issue I don't want happening again! You all know when I say "I' it is always meant as my own opinion because this board has always been about "We". We are what makes it and "I" don't want this scenario happening again. This has and always will be a team effort, we can't have part of the team holding back because of one jackass that used another forum! Their members were used for the info and then targetted as buyers with a deceitful ad on eBay.

There's one other commercial company who has used all the info for profit and has picked our brians on how to fix it because his knowledge couldn't, we all had a fun time figuring out a cool conversion a few times. In the end he never came back to be part of the community either. I notice his last post went unanswered... he then went to Thirdgen with same question that went a week without answer. Finally got his answer but he asked the question wrong so the answer will not help him. He developed a sweet conversion but should really have hired someone to tune it properly, now he has customers all over with systems not running correctly.

I did start another forum around 2000 and many guys got involved. One person took all the information we developed along with information from many sources and went elsewhere and now runs a conversion business. So I understand your frustration.

I'm not against guys making a buck! It's capitalism in America. But these scenarios all involve taking and not giving anything back, not even a mention of credit or even thank you or a link back!

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    One thing that puzzles me, is there has to be more to a knock filter than simply matching it to the engines bore size. If it was as simple at that, then should it not be the same knock filter on the tpi 350's and the tbi 350's, and even yet, since the 4.3 v6 has the same bore and stroke as a 350, then in theory should it not use the same one too? Be we know it does not.
    Knock sensor has to match knock filter whether it's in memcal or ESC... and the sensor has to be for engine. So your point of V6 knock sensor matching V8 because of bore and stroke is valid. We started to collect info on this but there were so many GM numbers I don't think we ever came to a conclusion. But that needs to go in another thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    The V6 MEMCALs are much more plentiful than the TBI MEMCALs, which is why the V6 MEMCALs are used.

The V6 MEMCALs were used from about 1987 to 1994 in many applications, whereas the TBI MEMCALs were used from about 1992 to 1995, and only in pick up trucks, and not all pick up trucks of those years.
    And all the memcals there are another popular PCM. where the V6 is still plentiful.

This just proves the product sold is defective, the ad is deceitful and the only reason for it was profit. Worst part is people buying it don't even know!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Administrator
    TBI MEMCALs were used from about 1992 to 1995, and only in pick up trucks, and not all pick up trucks of those years.
    TBI memcals were used to about '98 in medium duty trucks and some part numbers are still available new for $60 or less.

There's one other commercial company who has used all the info for profit and has picked our brians on how to fix it because his knowledge couldn't, we all had a fun time figuring out a cool conversion a few times.
    I'm not bothered on this one. If it's the one I'm thinking of he's posted plenty of specs, pictures, and even calibrations that can be downloaded by others interested in DIY conversions. I see he's also put in plenty of time on his own trying to figure stuff out. Cases that bother me are "I don't want to do any work, I want you to do everything for me." I didn't get that impression from this one. Then again, maybe I'm just being a nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    TBI memcals were used to about '98 in medium duty trucks and some part numbers are still available new for $60 or less.

I'm not bothered on this one. If it's the one I'm thinking of he's posted plenty of specs, pictures, and even calibrations that can be downloaded by others interested in DIY conversions. I see he's also put in plenty of time on his own trying to figure stuff out. Cases that bother me are "I don't want to do any work, I want you to do everything for me." I didn't get that impression from this one. Then again, maybe I'm just being a nice guy.
    I'll chime in on this topic. I'm agreeing with 1project2many, if the guy is offering DIY types information so they some can DIY themselves I'm good with that. It's no secret to most members here, I earn a few $$$ selling TBI / TPI parts and chip tuning services. When possible, I share information that helps the DIY members here. More times than not, I'll share with a customer were I got the technical information when doing something like the V6 / V8 memcal modification, or how to upgrade to a '427 PCM. If someone has taken the time to search a junkyard for parts to modify, then modifies the parts and puts the parts up for sale ... I call that business.

Back in 2009 when I was unemployed, I had a love / hate relationship with the local pick-n-pull type junkyards near me ... I hated the fact I was walking through the junkyards looking for something to make an honest $$ on. I loved the fact I kept my bills paid with the $$ I was able to make with the parts while I was looking for work.

dave w

All of this is one reason why I don't even bother hacking a V8 MEMCAL, because some are getting difficult to find. I almost wish that people would just stop doing this (I've seen some pretty bad hacks) and just spend some bucks for a proper adapter from Moates and preserve the vanishing number of MEMCALs that are out there.

As for the ebay seller: It's no different from a certain GM tuner some years back who was selling some rather shoddy tunes for dirt-cheap prices, well under what every other GM tuner was selling them for. And people on the forums have this weird habit of defending to the death anything they've paid good money for, even if their good money bought a pile of crap. So now I'm seeing these same people wondering why their transmissions have gone belly-up (zeroing out all TM tables and jacking up the line pressure tends to do this over time) and complaining that they can no longer get support for the service they were defending to the death a few years back.

There's really nothing to be done other than to continue on the straight and narrow path and continue to be honest with others.

Getting the correct Memcal is just good practice. Add a Moates adapter and a EEPROM and it's done right. It's the only way I do them...

Those flash tunes are still happening and smoking transmissions because TM was taken out of shift points.

What really get's me is old TBI chips being sold with fancy names and guys swear there butt dyno was major improvement, so they preach how wonderful the $200 spent was. When it is pointed out that there are not enough changes on the chip to amount to anything? And were decieved! They don't beleive and continue to promote sales of a worthless chip. This has been going on 15 years!

-= =-

In many cases I will modify a MEMCAL by rep,acing the EPROM with an EEPROM, when I do tunes for other people. Less expense, and it looks factory, if we ever get to the point where they start inspecting the actual ECM for modifications. I can also guarantee the EEPROM will have great contact with the pins, negating any potential for the original MEMCAL working it's way off the adapter. I have in a couple cases, where a MEMCAL adapter was used, drilled a hole in the adapter to use a tie-wrap to hold it in place. I don't see a problem with this, or that it is sacrilegious, because I'm modifying a potentially "rare" MEMCAL.

I'm using a MEMCAL adapter in my car and a friend's right now, because it makes it easier to connect the Ostrich, when I need to tune his car, and my Ostrich just stays in place. If I ever get to a time when I call my tune "done" will modify my MEMCAL (His already is) and install an EEPROM, even though it is likely one of the rarest MEMCALs around being an $8F MEMCAL.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Super Moderator
    i don't see any issue with the 27Cxxx PROMs being replaced.... from the datasheets i've read of them, most of the 80s units have to be nearing end-of-life.... replacing it with a PROM rated for a 100 year lifecycle is just good insurance.

8F MEMCALs... i'd have to look at w-body.com to be 100% certain, but there were 1000 TSTEs and i think around 5000 TGPs, so there is the entire production run minus some remanned units or surplus OEM. i think there were more ZR1 corvettes made than that. the odd Lotus application? IDK.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Administrator
    What really get's me is old TBI chips being sold with fancy names and guys swear there butt dyno was major improvement, so they preach how wonderful the $200 spent was. When it is pointed out that there are not enough changes on the chip to amount to anything? And were decieved! They don't beleive and continue to promote sales of a worthless chip. This has been going on 15 years!
    Sale by deception is wrong and it happens all the time. Hey, I'm a mechanic so I live with customer distrust and fear every day. There are people that think "Hey, for the cheap price of that chip it's worth trying." Others just don't believe the cost for a real tune is justified. Then there are people that just don't know enough to learn the difference. It's digital snake oil and it's going to continue as long as people want an easy way out. I spend much more time educating people than I ever did tuning. That's the only way to make a difference.

Story time.

Two summers ago a guy came down with a pretty rough 1/2 ton 350 Chevy vortec. Lotsa mods for more air in and out but nothing inside the engine. "Make it magic... I just don't feel the power." I said I couldn't do it and neither could anyone else since he hadn't done enough to make any real power. Round and round we went, back and forth, until I finally convinced him he needed real changes to make a real difference. But he wasn't going to go without a change. "I go to mud bogs with this and I need more power." Folks, it was nearly stock. He asked about pulling torque management out and I replied that it was possible but did he have his replacement transmission ready? "I'm gonna swap to manual anyway so it doesn't matter." Caution again... the trans will blow. The odometer is at 200k and this is a 4L60E. You will lose the trans. I can't say when but I promise it will be sooner rather than later. "I've got a meet this weekend and I've got the other trans so it's ok." I did the change along with a couple other things related to his modifications but I told him "No charge because I don't want you to be upset that you paid for a blown transmission. Come back when you make the engine changes and we'll make a real calibration." Next day he called me on his way to the meet. "This thing's awesome! It shifts so hard! It's great!!!" I asked if he really thought so and he did. I asked if he felt the trans would last and he told me it was probably stronger than I thought. I said "Ok, you seem to know your truck. But I'd make sure I brought a tow strap." I ran into him about a year later. He'd blown the trans on the way back. His buddies tried to tell him I did the tune wrong and the fact that I knew it was going to blow up and never charged him just proved it. I asked what he thought and he said he was pissed for a while but then he realized I was probably right and deep down he know the trans wasn't going to last on the stock tune. But he didn't trust the computer stuff anyway so he pulled the efi and installed a carb. He just needed someone to do the tune. "No problem. I do those too. Here's what ya need" and I laid out a list of changes he should make to his carb.

Now here's the thing. In the end, it was the owner that asked for torque management removal. He agreed trans would blow. He was disappointed when his unfounded faith in his miracle trans and engine mods proved baseless. And he decided not to trust EFI because it didn't do what he felt it should have. I presented all the facts and warnings I could but in the face of it all, he just felt the world was going to work in his favor. There's no amount of talking that will fix that. If I'd wanted to work with him hand in hand, call up often and be involved with his truck, I could have kept him on the right path and kept his faith in electronic modifications alive. But that's not my gig anymore so there's an unhappy customer. But you know, he wasn't screwed and he'll tell you that. He had fun for a little bit until his trans blew. And, he recommended me to a couple of guys who were interested in making serious changes so that tells me he decided it wasn't my fault. I think it beats the heck out of screwing a pile of people for a little bit of cash.
    Last edited by 1project2many; 01-19-2013 at 01:32 AM.

this must be one of his friends I need to learn this mask it self tunes and will give you maximum amount of horsepower when I start adding parts to my engine
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/PERFORMANCE-...item19d87e4d63

Did you see the other auction? You can buy everyones software for $10?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vehicle-Engi...item19d896d2d8

ALDL
    Carbytes
    Cartest
    DataMaster
    DiaCom
    ECM
    Freescan
    PCMcomm
    WinALDL
    OBD Scan
    Easy OBD
    OBD Gauge
    PCMscan
    Scan Master
    Scantool
    Real Scan
    Tuner Pro
    BMW Carsoft
    Honda Logger
    Chrome
    VW VAG
    Digimoto

-= =-

Umm, wow. So hes taking everyones programs, putting them on a disc and selling them? Even free ones like tunerpro and winaldl? I bet the people who made those programs would not like that.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

For $11.50 everyone could buy TunerPro, DataMaster, Honda Logger, Chrome, etc... I just bought one. Better be legit or he will have more bad feedback. Looks like 2 this month already, soon he will be out of business as his PayPal will be locked with complaints.

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    Umm, wow. So hes taking everyones programs, putting them on a disc and selling them? Even free ones like tunerpro and winaldl? I bet the people who made those programs would not like that.
    They have been notified along with Moates being used as part of an illegal software scam.

-= =-

At least he does tuning in person?

http://waco.craigslist.org/pts/3560818542.html

There is no such technical support line for this hobby anywhere else in the world, this is the first one. I didn't have the luxury of having anyone to answer my questions when I was learning how to reprogram cars. So, I started this one to make that difficult task of "learning to program" a little easier.

-= =-