Thread: Over 30% tps looses spark advance

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    If it were me tuning this setup, I would set the timing back to 0 degrees at the crank with the bypass wire disconnected. I would set the bin back to 0 degrees initial advance and use the original ADX file. Once you reconnect the bypass wire and clear the stored code, the timing should follow what you have in the tables. Others may have a different view. To me, leaving these settings stock takes another variable out when trying to chase down a problem.

Brian

Fuel Injected!
    That's what I'm going to try . The cam swap was just a few weeks ago and it really seemed weak down low until I set bin with aggressive timing . I have tried to up timing in bin and at crank and it did work below 50% throttle but I did have adx set at 0 incorrectly . I also want to advance the camshaft when I get a chance ( didn't degree it ) but have a feeling that it will help to advance cam .
    I will try to set it all back to zero and log again in a few days and check back in here . Thanks so much for your help

Quote Originally Posted by sturgillbd View Post
    If it were me tuning this setup, I would set the timing back to 0 degrees at the crank with the bypass wire disconnected. I would set the bin back to 0 degrees initial advance and use the original ADX file. Once you reconnect the bypass wire and clear the stored code, the timing should follow what you have in the tables. Others may have a different view. To me, leaving these settings stock takes another variable out when trying to chase down a problem.

Brian
    I second Brians advice. Set base timing back to zero with the bypass unplugged.
    First drive it until engine is at operating temp. Shut engine off, disconnect bypass wire, restart engine and set base timing to zero degrees. Shut off engine, reconnect bypass, and disconnect the battery to clear the ecm. Now change your bin to match the zero degrees of base timing.
    For years on my fuel injection conversion, I ran 10 degrees of base timing and set my bin to match because of what someone else said. And also for years I fought with varying and unsteady AFR. After lots of long stories I finally set the base timing to zero and set my bin to match. It made a world of difference. I will no longer recommend setting the base timing at anything but zero.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.