Thread: 7427 upgrade tuning help understanding

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    I am running since I put in my msd 6AL a acdelco 41-993(19256067) iridium plug. I had acdelco rapidfires before that #14's. I had no knock issue when I was running the 7747 computer with these plugs. When I swapped to these the motor ran smoother. I know to stay with acdelco or ngk since they make the acdelco plugs. I would not be opposed to trying these just need to get to the parts store and get them.

I will have the new knock sensor (ks6 standard) tomorrow so hopefully get it installed tomorrow night.

I tried a starter timing table that Fast355 posted on TGO for vortecs, he said that he uses it as his starting point for stock to mild cam motors. I tried it and seemed to work well except high rpm high map, upped the timing there and just from one adj seems to run pretty good, still needs refined. Here is what fast355 posted and I modified it for my spark table. maybe this will help others as it was pretty good for the first drive. fast355 starter vortec timing stock-mild cam.PNG

Fast355 if you are around maybe you can chime in on this and if you have made any changes over the years on this for your starting point for the vortec heads. I would think 30* is high at idle but I did not get knock.

Fuel Injected!
    i know knock sensor torque plays a part in knock sensitivity (IIRC, 30 ft-lbs) along with using the already applied thread locker that comes on the ac delco brand. have you tried regular copper plugs? I recall fast355 supporting this some years ago...

Fuel Injected!
    got the knock sensor today will hopefully install tonight once the truck cools off. I stopped at 2 parts stored and they didn't have the acdelco r42lts plugs so I will probably order them tonight. I'll check the tq on the knock sensor in all data before I do it just to make sure.

Fuel Injected!
    PlayinWithTBI I saw those last night on amazon but figured the plugs were for a 350 and any parts store would have them. I found them 2 stores north so about 30 minutes and I have to go up to tampa tomorrow anyways so I will just stop and get them on the way home.

Good you found them. I just couldn't believe I could buy them for $1.42 ea plus free shipping and, I have the Prime credit card so, I get 5% cash back, LOL.

Fuel Injected!
    r42lts plugs in and new knock sensor they say tq is 14 so I did just under that so it is not too sensitive from what I was reading. Took it for a drive and still getting alot of these knock counts but no timing taken out. This computer/knock sensor is very sensitive it seems. Something else weather I start tunerpro before I start the truck or after I start it, I always have anywhere from 300-1000 knock to start with. is anyone else having this happen to them or how to stop it.

On my test drive I had 2 places where it actually removed timing so I know I have to lower that area but what do I do for the knocks that do not remove timing. Would energy suspension motor and trans mounts cause this?

if anyone could take a look at my configs and see if they see anything I have set wrong or pointers, that would be great.
    One thing I have 6 degrees of timing in the distributor and set in the chip so in the log it shows -6 of actual.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by typhoonss92; 06-13-2019 at 05:03 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by typhoonss92 View Post
    I am running since I put in my msd 6AL a acdelco 41-993(19256067) iridium plug. I had acdelco rapidfires before that #14's. I had no knock issue when I was running the 7747 computer with these plugs. When I swapped to these the motor ran smoother. I know to stay with acdelco or ngk since they make the acdelco plugs. I would not be opposed to trying these just need to get to the parts store and get them.

I will have the new knock sensor (ks6 standard) tomorrow so hopefully get it installed tomorrow night.

I tried a starter timing table that Fast355 posted on TGO for vortecs, he said that he uses it as his starting point for stock to mild cam motors. I tried it and seemed to work well except high rpm high map, upped the timing there and just from one adj seems to run pretty good, still needs refined. Here is what fast355 posted and I modified it for my spark table. maybe this will help others as it was pretty good for the first drive. fast355 starter vortec timing stock-mild cam.PNG

Fast355 if you are around maybe you can chime in on this and if you have made any changes over the years on this for your starting point for the vortec heads. I would think 30* is high at idle but I did not get knock.
    I use the PE adder to add 4-6° up top. Actually starts adding 1-2° as low as 2,600 when its in PE. I have found situations where you will be at high Kpa for a while and not need the fuel enrichment. If you run full timing without the PE adder after a period of time the engine running at stoich will build some heat and start knockinh.
    Last edited by Fast355; 06-13-2019 at 09:55 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    At startup I get around at 600-800 knock counts cold and warmed up 250-350, I think Fast355 once mentioned this was because the knock sensor was picking up the noise from starter motor during cranking.