Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 454 TBI and 4L80 from 95 burb into 69 van

Fuel Injected!

454 TBI and 4L80 from 95 burb into 69 van

Not sure I ever introduced myself....
    I'm AzDon
    I'm going to attempt to put a 454 and 4L80 from a 95 Suburban into a 69 van and make it run
    As far as I can tell, there are no aftermarket harnesses available to do this, so I'm going to have to work the original Harness...
    Wish me luck!

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by AzDon View Post
    Not sure I ever introduced myself....
    I'm AzDon
    I'm going to attempt to put a 454 and 4L80 from a 95 Suburban into a 69 van and make it run
    As far as I can tell, there are no aftermarket harnesses available to do this, so I'm going to have to work the original Harness...
    Wish me luck!
    Fuel injection connection has one for $305 Link

Fuel Injected!
    Awesome Tip! Thanks!

Fuel Injected!
    I went to a local yard that had a 95 7427 454 4l80e truck and told them I wanted the complete harness and they pulled it out for $75. Sorry maybe I missread. Looks like you have an original harness. I thought you were talkng about reworking the old harness.
    Last edited by myburb; 06-13-2018 at 06:05 PM.
    6395, BHDF, 7.4 BBC lightly modded now 6395 BMHM back to BHDF

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by myburb View Post
    I went to a local yard that had a 95 7427 454 4l80e truck and told them I wanted the complete harness and they pulled it out for $75. Sorry maybe I missread. Looks like you have an original harness. I thought you were talkng about reworking the old harness.
    Yeah, I have the entire donor Suburban...… Three problems I have using the original harness... 1) Knowing how much of it to remove from the car and knowing how to tie the existing car's controls into the harness … 2)Knowing what can be eliminated from the original harness.... and 3) Getting the harness without breaking all those fragile connectors or their latches....

To me, $300-500 is a bargain to get new stuff and some help/direction to making it happen.... It's when the stuff takes me past a Grand that I start looking at retreating to non-digital solutions...

Fuel Injected!
    I'm a little overwhelmed by the complexity of most of the stuff in these forums..... What I'm looking for is a simple, complete how-to that will direct me to get all the stuff needed from a 95 burb (454/4L80) into my 69 chevy van and wired up to run..... I'm not going to use the suburban instrument panel or ignition switch, so i'm a bit confused about how much of the stock harness to save and where to tie-in inputs/outputs for gauges and such and what the values should be. If it would be easier, I'd be willing to strip out the gauge wiring and put in standalone aftermarket stuff, even maybe mechanical... Does the whole thing begin with building some type of power/relay center and maybe centralizing all the grounds? Am I overthinking this? I know I'm about 20 years late to the party, but....

Maybe the schematics below will help? I'm unaware of a comprehensive step by step conversion article here at gearhead-efi.com. Maybe google is a search option for a TBI conversion.

If looks don't matter? Then the option of a rats nest looking harness is the easy low cost way of getting things done. The rats nest harness only needs a few wires figured out.

Connector Pins A1, A2, A12 and Pin A on the ALDL diagnostic port are ground wires. Maybe the grounds in the used harness are good?
    Connector Pin E16 and Fuel Pump Pin A is BATTERY HOT "+". Factory uses a 16 gauge fusible link for circuit protection.
    Connector Pin E15 is powered by ignition switch when the ignition switch is in "ON and START" position. Factory uses 10 Amp fuse for circuit protection.
    Terminate unused wiring with heat shrink tubing. Terminating unused wires is required to prevent electrical fires and / or an unwanted rapid oxidation event! Unwanted Thermal Events should be avoided also! Be warned everything electrical is smoke powered, if you let the smoke out; the subsequent and / or associated events will be costly and possibly life ending.

dave w

1994 TBI-1.jpg

1994 TBI-2.jpg

1994 TBI-3.jpg

1994 TBI-4.jpg

1994 TBI-5.jpg

1994 TBI-6.jpg

Connector Pin Part Number.jpg
    Last edited by dave w; 06-24-2018 at 01:06 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    If you haven't done so, go to definitions on the first part of this obd1 forum and go to pcm 6395, $OE. Towards the bottom is 6 wiring diagrams. With that you have what you will need. You pretty well will use it all except gauges. You will need the drac, the check engine lite and the obd1 aldl port. For gauges you can just put in original senders for those. You will then be running the computer off the efi senders and gauges off old style senders. Ignition switch will just control a power relay. Of course there would be other ways to do it but this is pretty simple.
    6395, BHDF, 7.4 BBC lightly modded now 6395 BMHM back to BHDF

Fuel Injected!
    Thank you for the replies!.... I spent a couple of hours in the burb dash today working on deconstruction.... It looks like I'm going to need to pull the dash apart completely to get the complete harness......A while back I de-constructed a 91 wagon and pulled 100% of all wiring out and started verifying wires and routing and had the entire floor of the 2 car garage covered with wires....Decided to do it later when I installed the 305 into the van, but changed the plan to this 454...…..I guess the way to do it is to get the engine, trans, and necessary components in place and then lay the harness over the whole setup and start connecting and pruning (?)……. By the time I get to that point, I'll probably want to just buy that harness from fuel injection connection....

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks for the schematics, Dave!...…….These are the correct diagrams for a 7427 ECM and 4L80?...… This is too cool! I should be able to make this work!

Quote Originally Posted by AzDon View Post
    Thanks for the schematics, Dave!...…….These are the correct diagrams for a 7427 ECM and 4L80?...… This is too cool! I should be able to make this work!
    Actually the 1995 schematics posted above are for BOTH 5.7 liter and 7.4 liter engines with 16197427 computers.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Be warned everything electrical is smoke powered, if you let the smoke out; the subsequent and / or associated events will be costly and possibly life ending.
    But Dave! There's a fix for that...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBraley View Post
    But Dave! There's a fix for that...
    LOL

Is there a picture of the smoke applicator / smoke repair kit?

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    I've owned a british car, so it seems logical that Lucas would be the best company to offer this product.....I usually let some smoke out with a soldering gun.....So maybe a fire alarm pull switch operating a master battery disconnect might be a good thing?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    LOL

Is there a picture of the smoke applicator / smoke repair kit?

dave w
    Here is the link to the website page where I found it. It was originally based on an Ebay listing.

http://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/smoke.htm
    Last edited by DavidBraley; 06-30-2018 at 11:39 PM.