Thread: What ECM/PCM do I Have???

Electronic Ignition!

What ECM/PCM do I Have???

Hello all,
    Long time lurker, my first post.

I have a 1993 S10 Blazer w/ 4dr 4x4 vin W (cpi) 4L60e 3.73 gears.

Previous owner butchered the wiring and installed a new PCM.
    By service code and calpak BBC, it should be a manual trans truck.
    The transmission works and shifts fine, but i have a ton of little stuff that is intermittent and frustration is setting in.

I've been working on GM wiring since the Rochester Carb days. Lately I've sort of specialized in Fieros.
    WinALDL has been the extent of my ecm dealings.

I've searched here and the whole web for the last three months trying to figure out exactly what PCM is in my truck.

I've looked art Tunerpro, but am confused by all the different possibilities of adf or adx files.
    My problem ( i think ) is i need to know what PCM I have, but I don't know and everything I've found says to look art the PCM/calpak. Kind of a catch 22 position.

I feel like I'm missing something.

Is there a program to identify what I actually have?

I have a arduino usb fftl adapter and a laptop.
    Just need a bit of guidance.

Any one able to tell me where to start?

Thanks a lot,
    Don

Can't guarantee it, but my 93 S10 pu had an 8693 if IRRC. It runs a $E6 calibration, but you need to look at the ECM to determine the bin. The ECM should be behind the kick panel on the passenger side. take a look there. Once you know for sure that's what you have, look at this thread for the stuff you need to DL
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-E6
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks for the link, I looked at it and just overlooked what i was looking for. It's very probable I've got the 8693 pcm.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help me figure out what actual BCC is programmed to the memcal/calpak.

I'm looking for a program that will read that info off of the truck, since I'm pretty positive that BBNT is not right, as it's for a manual trans setup, and my auto it's seemingly working correctly.
    Last edited by KlingonFiero; 10-09-2016 at 03:03 PM.

You should be able to look at the prom in the memcal to see the bcc. If it still says bbnt, chances are that's what it has. To read the actual prom, you need a burner or emulator
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Electronic Ignition!
    I looked at the Prom. It says BBNT.

I would expect the CEL to be flashing if that was the actual code on the chip...

I guess it's time to get a chip reader.

The CEL wouldn't flash just because you have an automatic trans connected to a PCM with a manual BIN, it wouldn't care. The other way around, yes.

You will need to use a programmer to read the MEMCAL and see what the actual bin is. It's possible that someone reprogrammed the EPROM, but didn't remove the original sticker.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Electronic Ignition!
    Well, that's the thing. They removed all the stickers from the outside of the PCM, just not the MEMCAL.

The programmer I'm looking for , would the "Burn2 USB Chip Programmer" from Moates be the right type?

Administrator
    Flashing CEL is usually only for one of two reasons: Faulty memcal or diagnostics enabled.

The manual trans ecm is generally only programmed for shift light control and often even that is not active. If the trans is a 4L60 / 700R4 or other non-electronic trans then it does not need any input from the ecm to shift gears. If the speedometer calibration info is incorrect the ecm will not know either.

You should get a working scantool / laptop and try to view ALDL data. Without labels on the case I would consider a replacement ecm simply to know I had the right part. If the vehicle was originally built with an electronic automatic trans this approach may have been someone's way of installing an older trans to save $$.

Electronic Ignition!
    Hi.
    It's got a 4l60e in it now.

Since i got the truck, only had one CEL problem. That turned out to be the knock sensor being disconnected, plugged it in and CEL went out. No CEL since then. No other codes were/are stored.

I've got a great laptop. Got the usb FFTL adapter.
    I've been looking at TunerCat or TunerPro.
    Not sure exactly what I need.
    My last dealings with scanning an ECM was with WinALDL on my Fieros...

Thanks a lot for everybody's help so far.

Administrator
    It's got a 4l60e in it now.
    Definitely an "E?" If so, then either 1) you don't have a manual trans cal, or (2) someone also installed a separate trans controller. Simplest answer has the greates chance of being correct, so I'd start working with that chip burner.

Fuel Injected!
    My vote is for tuner pro. It's free and does everything you'll need to do for now. Burning, reading, even emulating.

Electronic Ignition!
    Most assuredly an "e". No aftermarket controller either.
    I guess I'll be going with TunerPro

Thanks a lot!

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by KlingonFiero View Post
    The programmer I'm looking for , would the "Burn2 USB Chip Programmer" from Moates be the right type?
    Trying to help here. To use the Burn2 You will need an adapter and a chip to program a PCM. Moates has this adapter, and is very well made.
    http://www.moates.net/g1-memory-adap....html?cPath=64
    Compatible chips are listed with the G1 adapter. These adapters plug in chip (to tune), and a Memcal (to use the knock sensor, and limp mode)
    The Ostrich 2.0 also plugs into the G1 (in place of a chip, and can be flashed, and run as an emulator) and works great to program a PCM.
    From there you can use Tunerpro to tune your vehicle.
    Just using TunerPro to datalog, once setup is a great benefit.
    Last edited by Woods; 10-21-2016 at 04:24 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    If you connect with Tunerpro and find the adx that works and then compare the schematic to the PCM wiring plugs you can be fairly sure which ECM you have. Isn't that all you need?

No check engine light is telling me that your little stuff that is intermittent isn't likely to be PCM related.