Thread: On my 4th Tbichips.com chip and still have issues? Help!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    could the possibility of having headers be the issue? I know on mine the headers made my NBo2 voltages way off from stock causing blm's to read wrong compared to my WB02. add that then a cam that has a little more valve overlap than stock. This was one of the first things I banged my head against when I started tuning. I only realized what was happening when I installed the WB02
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,

Quote Originally Posted by PJG1173 View Post
    could the possibility of having headers be the issue? I know on mine the headers made my NBo2 voltages way off from stock causing blm's to read wrong compared to my WB02. add that then a cam that has a little more valve overlap than stock. This was one of the first things I banged my head against when I started tuning. I only realized what was happening when I installed the WB02
    I'm thinking with shorty headers, provided the single wire O2 sensor is still located near the stock exhaust manifold location, is not going to have an effect on overall rich / lean data. I have shorty headers on my 93 K1500, and have not seen any issues with the single wire O2 sensor I'm using. The shorty headers I'm using have the O2 sensor in same locaion as the original stock exhaust manifold did.

Long tube headers using a single wire O2 sensor can be a real problem!

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Long tube headers using a single wire O2 sensor can be a real problem!

dave w
    should have specified long tubes. even messed with the readings on my 3 wire.
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.

Moving the O2 sensor from factory position to long tube is a long move and INT delay also needs to be extended.

But if your tune is on then a non heated O2 will work fine in long tubes. Just go OL when it cools off, if tune is close not big deal?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Update: I put a fuel pressure gauge on it, and it reads 15psi. I've looked on several forums and most say 14-15 is good for my cam. Also bought a new Map sensor & ignition module. I drove it up the road and it seems no different than before. Also pulled plug #1 after I changed them on Sunday and the top ring of the plug is black. Too rich at idle? Histogram shows its rich all the way up to 2300 rpm from the logs I posted. No vacuum leaks anywhere that I can find, and base timing is set a 0*. Still sounds like the chip is at fault cause all these symptoms go away with stock chip, just not near the power the tbichips one has. Bout ready for a carburetor!

Quote Originally Posted by 1slos10 View Post
    Bout ready for a carburetor!
    No reason for profanity!

1. Bring it to my house and I'll fix it?

Or...

2. Ask for a refund and give it to Dave W with your stock chip BCC and data logs from stock chip. Poof! Truck runs good! If not refer to number 1...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Lol, if you weren't 400+ miles away I'd leave tonight! I think chip #5 is on the way, I don't know for sure cause he's not replying to emails now? If things don't change for the better soon guess ill have to try to get my money back and get Dave to fix it. I appreciate all you guys have done to help me out, praying I get to enjoy driving this thing soon. Thanks again!

Update: I put a fuel pressure gauge on it, and it reads 15psi. I've looked on several forums and most say 14-15 is good for my cam. Also bought a new Map sensor & ignition module. I drove it up the road and it seems no different than before. Also pulled plug #1 after I changed them on Sunday and the top ring of the plug is black. Too rich at idle? Histogram shows its rich all the way up to 2300 rpm from the logs I posted. No vacuum leaks anywhere that I can find, and base timing is set a 0*. Still sounds like the chip is at fault cause all these symptoms go away with stock chip, just not near the power the tbichips one has. Bout ready for a carburetor!
    So with 15 psi FP you're not running rich with the stock chip?

Fuel Injected!
    I'm not sure. I never pulled the plugs after the cam swap on stock chip. Think the 15 is too much?

I'm not sure. I never pulled the plugs after the cam swap on stock chip. Think the 15 is too much?
    Try 12 PSI, data log and post results. Data is the only way, I / most any of us, would really know if 15 PSI is to much. With fuel injection there no such thing as to much DATA!!

dave w