Thread: Here we go again

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    I guess the engine specs differ depending on where they are posted. :). I may have read on wikipedia that the heads and cam were L98's. Either that or I will blame a senior moment. I do have the flat top pistons. Going to measure the cam lobes when I get the chance. Hopefully tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    The 9C1s had swirl ports on them throughout the TBI years. The 350s had flat top pistons and L98 cams though. The non 9C1 cars ran the 305 peanut roller cam.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by srgould41 View Post
    I guess the engine specs differ depending on where they are posted. :). I may have read on wikipedia that the heads and cam were L98's. Either that or I will blame a senior moment. I do have the flat top pistons. Going to measure the cam lobes when I get the chance. Hopefully tonight.
    The confusion probably comes from the 87 and 88 Q-jet carb engines which DID use the centerbolt valve cover TPI L98 heads. The LG4s of the same era as well as the L69s in the Monte Carlo SS also used 395 TPI heads.

The GM 300 hp crate engines used the same L98 heads that were cast for Marine engines. 217 ending of the casting number and the same cam that currently comes in the 330 hp Vortec 350 crate engine. Played with one of those 300 hp engines in a Elcamino SS that had the Chevelle front clip on it. With 1 3/4" primary ling tubes, 2 1/2" dual exhaust with a X-pipe, a performer rpm intake and an edelbrock 1406 I jetted up a bit to deal with the 10% ethanol gas it ran very strong.

A factory OBD1 LT1 cam is a mild upgrade to the L98 cam. It has a little more lift and duration and a slightly tighter LSA. Makes a little more torque and carries the power a few hundred rpm higher. I LOVE us8ng them in Vortec trucks. The factory LT4 cam would be better still woth 1.6:1 rockers but they are rare as hens teeth now.
    Last edited by Fast355; 04-21-2017 at 02:53 AM.