Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moving from 1227747 What is the best TBI ECM to use?

Moving from 1227747 What is the best TBI ECM to use?

I have been playing with the 1227747 on my Flathead Ford for a month or so now, and am becoming very familiar with it and the tables and scalars and such, but I have been told it is quite crude compared to some of the newer ones. I am leaving the 7747 on the Flathead as I am too far into it to change now, and I like the simplicity of it.

I am contemplating installing a TBI system on my '68 Firebird this year which has the Pontiac 350 in it, 4 speed T10 and 3.42 posi and would like to start searching the local wreckers for a good ECM system to use.

I would like to hear what the best, or next best ECM would be to use today, the next gen as it were. Would there be a huge learning curve for the new ECM or are the tables and such still familiar? I like the 747, and it certainly would do the job, I just thought if I am starting from scratch, maybe I should try something newer.

thanks!
    '49 Ford F-47 Flathead with GM TBI
    '66 Corvair planning a GM TBI
    '68 Firebird ragtop 7427 TBI going in
    And a bunch of other cars and bikes

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by kilohertz View Post
    I have been playing with the 1227747 on my Flathead Ford for a month or so now, and am becoming very familiar with it and the tables and scalars and such, but I have been told it is quite crude compared to some of the newer ones. I am leaving the 7747 on the Flathead as I am too far into it to change now, and I like the simplicity of it.

I am contemplating installing a TBI system on my '68 Firebird this year which has the Pontiac 350 in it, 4 speed T10 and 3.42 posi and would like to start searching the local wreckers for a good ECM system to use.

I would like to hear what the best, or next best ECM would be to use today, the next gen as it were. Would there be a huge learning curve for the new ECM or are the tables and such still familiar? I like the 747, and it certainly would do the job, I just thought if I am starting from scratch, maybe I should try something newer.

thanks!
    7427 is a definate improvement.

I agree with Fast355, the 16197427 is a definite improvement.

The Dynamic EFI Systems (EBL_Flash) http://www.dynamicefi.com/EBL_Flash.php is a definite improvement for the 1227747.

The EBL_Flash computer is plug-n-play with the 1227747 harness.

dave w

Awesome! Thanks guys!

I just had a quick look at the page for this ECM, and without opening and studying all the different masks, is there a "preferred" one to start with, or use? At least I will be able to pick a 5.7L BIN which should be a lot closer for me to start tuning, compared to my 3.9L flattie.

Cheers

Fuel Injected!
    I recently upgraded a stock 92 GMC to '7427 this past summer. it noticeably idled and ran better with a stock calibration (no tuning).

I think "Comparing" the 16197427 5.7 Auto .bin file with 16197427 BJFD 94 C-K Truck 4.3TBI 5 speed.BIN is a good idea.

Deceleration Fuel Cutoff (DFCO) might be different manual transmission vs. automatic transmission.

I recommend using a 2000 pulse per mile (2K) VSS with the 16197427, some members might or might not agree with my recommendation.

Likely . . . the smiles per mile is better with a VSS.

dave w

I'm happy with my EBL Flash-II over the 7747 by far plus, it has "VE Auto Learn" and, with a WBO2 you can tune WOT too. all flash, no chips. It has boost and bottle capabilities as well.

Fuel Injected!

TBI for the traditional Pontiac

As others had said, the 16197427 is a great choice for TBI applications, and can be found in
    many 94-5 TBI trucks. I had planned to go this route on the 455 in my 70 Bonneville for a
    long time, but ended up jumping right to a Gen 3 PCM instead - more on that later.

If you find a truck with a 16197427, my advice would be to pull everything - TBI, harness,
    sensors, PCM, provided the price at your local u-pull-it is reasonable. Around here that
    stuff is going for almost nothing.

The other piece of the puzzle that makes this a bolt-in affair on a traditional Pontiac including
    the 350 in your 68 Firebird is a 7-wire HEI distributor from an '81 Pontiac, p/n 1103453. They
    come off 265 and 301 powered Firebirds, Bonnevilles, Grand Prixs, etc.... With that distributor,
    and the TBI to carb adapter of your choice, you can inject your Pontiac 350 with all stock GM
    parts.

I've since evolved the EFI setup on my 455 through a bunch of stages. It ran a modified
    1103452 distributor for quite a few years, and now has a 24x crank trigger and individual
    LS coils, but it took me a few years of iterating and experimenting to get there.

Fuel Injected!
    ^^^^^^^ very nice. the 7427 is an incredible increase in TBI technology, do not fear it :)
    -Carl

Thanks guys, appreciate all the info and advice.

Were the 7427 only available in '94-95 trucks/vans? Are there any tell tales signs for the vehicle to indicate it has this ECM as opposed to other ECMs from the same dates? Saves pulling a lot of glove boxes off the hinges. i.e. VIN codes or glove box VIN stickers.

Also, while I have your ear, in the 7747, does the BLM data get deleted when the battery is disconnected? How is it stored in the ECM? I have been removing the battery cable every time I change the PROM tune, not sure if that is detrimental or not. I suppose I could be extra careful putting in the chip and leave the battery connected if need be.

Thanks!

Fuel Injected!

94-95 PCMs

I believe that the 16197427 was only found in 94-5 trucks, SUVs and vans with a V8. The other PCM found
    in those same years/vehicles was the 16196395. I haven't personally used one, by my understanding is that
    it is equivalent and just as applicable.

Basically, if its a 94-95 GM truck, SUV or van with a V8, its a pretty sure bet it will have the PCM you want.

-Scott

Fuel Injected!
    The '6395 and '7427 both have red and blue connectors. I haven't seen any physical differences myself. Maybe some others can comment if I am wrong.
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Tech View Post
    The '6395 and '7427 both have red and blue connectors. I haven't seen any physical differences myself. Maybe some others can comment if I am wrong.
    this x2. i always just look for the red and blue connectors. i believe astro vans used 7427 but there may be internal differences on the ones with PFI. TBI ones should be ok to use but make sure to use a V8 calpak.

you can repin your 747 connectors to 7427, the pins are the same. there are many conversion threads here and elsewhere on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    As others had said, the 16197427 is a great choice for TBI applications, and can be found in
    many 94-5 TBI trucks. I had planned to go this route on the 455 in my 70 Bonneville for a
    long time, but ended up jumping right to a Gen 3 PCM instead - more on that later.

If you find a truck with a 16197427, my advice would be to pull everything - TBI, harness,
    sensors, PCM, provided the price at your local u-pull-it is reasonable. Around here that
    stuff is going for almost nothing.

The other piece of the puzzle that makes this a bolt-in affair on a traditional Pontiac including
    the 350 in your 68 Firebird is a 7-wire HEI distributor from an '81 Pontiac, p/n 1103453. They
    come off 265 and 301 powered Firebirds, Bonnevilles, Grand Prixs, etc.... With that distributor,
    and the TBI to carb adapter of your choice, you can inject your Pontiac 350 with all stock GM
    parts.

I've since evolved the EFI setup on my 455 through a bunch of stages. It ran a modified
    1103452 distributor for quite a few years, and now has a 24x crank trigger and individual
    LS coils, but it took me a few years of iterating and experimenting to get there.
    Thanks for the info Scott. I just picked up a refurb'd dist you described, I have caps and coils from other HEI which should work. The ECM and harness etc will be easy to find, if not, I have a '94 farm truck here, but would rather keep it running.

cheers

Regarding the engine harness, are the Blue/Red connectors only available on the 94-95 trucks as well? If not, what years were the Red/Blue type connectors used and in what vehicles? Just trucks? Cars also?

Thanks!