Thread: TBI on scout II- Please help!

TBI on scout II- Please help!

Hi All,
    My name is Josh.
    I was scouring the web, trying to figure out how to burn my own chips, when I happened upon this site. Like many of you, I have also been around the
    binderplanet.com site learning from Bill Hamilton. The more I read, the more I get confused. I am to a point now, where I want to rip off all the EFI, and plunk my Edelbrock back on. But, I will not give up just yet. I hope someone here can help me.

here is what I have-
    IH 345 V8 engine, and manual transmission. It's stock. I pulled a TBI from a late 80s GM 350. I have the 7747 ECM. The scout runs and drives. But it runs rich. I am not running an EGR, Knock, or VSS sensor. So, obviously the timing gets retarded, and the scout runs like a dog.
    I have purchased the GQ-4x4 programmer and 10 blank- 2732 chips.
    I have downloaded Tunerpro RT.
    I have downloaded Winaldl.
    I have logged data with Winaldl
    I have downloaded the stock timing table for my 345 engine.
    I have downloaded ASDU9567-57 Bin as referred to on binder planet.
    I have downloaded the 7747 ECU file.
    I have downloaded the V4 XDF File
    I have downloaded the 7747 ADX File.

Now, I feel like I have all this stuff out on my desk, and have no idea what to do next. I would love to be able to turn off the unneeded sensors, and get this thing running right. I have attached my data log files here.
    Can I burn on a blank chip, or do I need to get the old chip out of the ECM, and get more data from it first? How do I turn off sensors? I am totally overwhelmed. can anyone help a total newbie?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thanks!
    Josh

1972 Scout II- 345, T19, Dana 300.
    1972 1210 IH Truck- 392, T19, NP205.

Perhaps using TunerPro RT is an option?

R.I.P. WinALDL your day has come and gone.

TunerPro RT Dash.jpg

Youtube video tutorial for Turner Pro RT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLRnRNapRN4

dave w

TunerPro RT can provide an enormous about of information, see screenshots below.

Many years ago, I experienced frustrations with a fuel only aftermarket TBI system on an IH 304 Scout. I installed a DUI HEI distributor and the Scout came to life when the 1227747 was controlling spark. TunerPro RT "Recorded" or data logged the Spark Advance (Hack Required) and Fuel BLM's (Rich / Lean).

Data = Performance . . . the absence of data = frustration

dave w

Near Idle Fuel.jpg

Near Idle Spark Advance.jpg

Off Idle Fuel.jpg

Off Idle Spark Advance.jpg

TunerPro RT Monitors.jpg

TunerPro RT Item Lists.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    TunerPro RT can provide an enormous about of information, see screenshots below.

Many years ago, I experienced frustrations with a fuel only aftermarket TBI system on an IH 304 Scout. I installed a DUI HEI distributor and the Scout came to life when the 1227747 was controlling spark. TunerPro RT "Recorded" or data logged the Spark Advance (Hack Required) and Fuel BLM's (Rich / Lean).

dave w

Near Idle Fuel.jpg

Off Idle Fuel.jpg

TunerPro RT Monitors.jpg

Thanks for this info. I looked through my parameters and I don't see anything with lists, or a VE table for off throttle. I only have VE as a %. Do I need to be hooked up to the truck to see that info? My distributor is an IH holley, with a duraspark conversion. Basically, a small cap HEI... I definitely want the ECM to control timing...
    Thanks!
    Josh

TunerPro RT Dash.jpg

Youtube video tutorial for Turner Pro RT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLRnRNapRN4

dave w
    so, I should hook up again, and make a run through tunerpro? I don't have to have WINALDL at all?? Ill check out the video, thank you!!!
    Thanks!
    Josh

TunerPro RT Dash.jpg

dave w
    According to the Video, I need a split second calibrator. I dont have one of these, I dont think. Does the GQ4x4 have this function? Before, to get realtime data, I plugged into the ALDL, and hooked the USB straight to my computer...then I could see the data in WINALDL. This is a very humbling experience. LOL
    Thanks!
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by BigRigg View Post
    Thanks for this info. I looked through my parameters and I don't see anything with lists, or a VE table for off throttle. I only have VE as a %. Do I need to be hooked up to the truck to see that info? My distributor is an IH holley, with a duraspark conversion. Basically, a small cap HEI... I definitely want the ECM to control timing...
    The Near Idle / Off Idle tables are for TBI computer 16197427, the 1227747 is similar but with one fuel table and one spark table. Similar looking spreadsheets can be made for the 1227747, http://gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injecti...Information-42 post #7.

Is the Holley / Duraspark distributor using the GM 8 pin ignition module? http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Huj3_ztl5U...7+ignition.jpg

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Near Idle / Off Idle tables are for TBI computer 16197427, the 1227747 is similar but with one fuel table and one spark table. Similar looking spreadsheets can be made for the 1227747, http://gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injecti...Information-42 post #7.

Is the Holley / Duraspark distributor using the GM 8 pin ignition module? http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Huj3_ztl5U...7+ignition.jpg

dave w
    Yeah, I have downloaded post 7 in that thread. I imagine it is something similar to the ALDLTOBIN program? Yes, that is the conversion I did with my distributor.
    Thanks!
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by BigRigg View Post
    According to the Video, I need a split second calibrator. I dont have one of these, I dont think. Does the GQ4x4 have this function? Before, to get realtime data, I plugged into the ALDL, and hooked the USB straight to my computer...then I could see the data in WINALDL. This is a very humbling experience. LOL
    The Splits Second video is mostly an introduction to TunerPro RT . . . not a comprehensive tutorial for the 1227747. Only some of the Split Second video applies to the 1227747.

The 1227747 does not require a Split Second Calibrator.

TunerPro RT is similar to WinALDL, but there is some setup required for the ALDL Cable being used with TunerPro RT. The ALDL Cable needs to be configured with a driver and com port selected.

dave w

Fuel Injected!

dave w

Near Idle Fuel.jpg

Off Idle Fuel.jpg

TunerPro RT Monitors.jpg

Hi Dave, I have been trying to locate the "Hack" for the Tunerpro Spark Advance as you noted. Can you please provide a link to this?

The .bin file or chip is modified using TunerPro to enable the "Hack"

Are you setup to burn chips with modified .bin files?

dave w

BPW Hack.JPG

Fuel Injected!
    I am not set up to burn chips.

So I guess I will not be able to datalog the base pulse width or the spark advance..?...

Quote Originally Posted by Dlxman View Post
    I am not set up to burn chips.

So I guess I will not be able to datalog the base pulse width or the spark advance..?...
    A custom programmed PROM chip with the "Hack" is required to data log BPW and SA.

Perhaps you have a spare chip, and maybe another gearhead-efi member will program the spare chip for you with the "Hack"?

dave w