Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Adding TBI and 4L80e to 74 Argosy motorhome

Fuel Injected!
    One thing I need to try and remember is stock brackets may not work on my Edelbrock intake, especially since it's for an earlier non egr system.

I think I'll look for the mounting holes next time I go down to my shop.

Brad

Fuel Injected!
    Although my edelbrock intake isnt the exact model of your, my map bracket worked stock. I had to modify my throttle cablebracket and the coil bracket. Probably is a lot of aftermarket ways you could do it.
    6395, BHDF, 7.4 BBC lightly modded now 6395 BMHM back to BHDF

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by myburb View Post
    Although my edelbrock intake isnt the exact model of your, my map bracket worked stock. I had to modify my throttle cable bracket and the coil bracket. Probably is a lot of aftermarket ways you could do it.
    Thanks for the info. Keyair sent me some pictures of what the map bracket looks like and it shouldn't be a problem making something similar. After deciding to make the bracket I found the plastic piece on ebay that the MAP sensor clips onto so that should make things simpler.

Here's a picture of my intake showing what I believe to be the holes for the stock coil mounting bracket.
    Attachment 10151

Thanks!

Brad

Fuel Injected!
    I prefer to put my MAP sensors and ESCs on the firewall. It cleans up the intake manifold are a good bit and no brackets are required.
    1973 K-5 Blazer, TBI 350, TH400, 1 ton axles & 38" SSRs'
    1975 280Z, TBI 350, 700R4
    1953 M-38A1, TBI Buick 231
    1951 Ford Panel, 5.3 with 4L80E

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by fastacton View Post
    I prefer to put my MAP sensors and ESCs on the firewall. It cleans up the intake manifold are a good bit and no brackets are required.
    Unfortunately in my case I don't have a firewall. This in a motorhome that has a doghouse cover and the top of the throttle body is only about 5" below the cover. In my situation a bracket similar to OEM will likely be my best bet.

Fuel Injected!
    Just realized I also need a throttle cable bracket.

If someone has a photo of what a 2" 94/95 tbi throttle cable bracket looks like I'd like to see it or if you happen to have one for sale I'd like to hear about it!

Thanks!

Brad

Administrator
    This is for a pickup truck:

http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.co...category=19398

Bracket appears to be 10111685.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    This is for a pickup truck:

http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.co...category=19398

Bracket appears to be 10111685.
    Sorry about the long delay in replying. We had a decent sized snow storm here in Kentucky and I got about 16" of snow. Just enough to keep me occupied for a while

Thanks for the link to the bracket. Looking at the bracket shown in the link it seemed familiar so I went and looked at my engine test stand where the 454 is currently sitting. Turns out the throttle bracket that I mounted to the test stand frame is the same bracket! I was using it on the pedal end to hold the cable. Around 8 years ago I went to a bunch of You Pick It places near Pasadena and grabbed a bunch of parts from some trucks. Apparently I may have gotten lucky and got the right bracket.

Thanks!

Brad

Fuel Injected!
    It's been quite a while since I updated this thread so I figure I ought to bring it up to date. I did go ahead with buying and installing a TBI system. I started working with Dave_w (Old School EFI) and with his help and guidance I purchased all of the components and installed them on the engine. Dave convinced me that going this route over purchasing something from AFI would be a better choice. I know someone that did go the AFI route and they definitely had a lot more problems than I did. My engine started up immediately the first time and ran well. I did have an issue with spikes being generated on the tach signal to the PCM (and my tachometer) and found that the distributor ICM was bad. Spikes were being generated from around 800 rpm up to about 2000 rpm. Below that range and above that range there were no spikes but anytime the rpm was within that range there were huge spikes in tach signal. Took me a while to isolate the problem but once I did the the engine started running nicely!

I used a 16197427 PCM and a wiring harness from Fuel Injection Connection.

Here's a short video of the last run on the test stand.

Here's a bunch of pictures of my 454 sitting on my test stand:
    Attachment 10672Attachment 10673Attachment 10674Attachment 10675Attachment 10676Attachment 10677Attachment 10678

Dave_w has been a huge help and has been very responsive when I've had questions or needed changes to the tune. It won't be until later this year that I will be ready to actually drive the motorhome as there is a lot more work to do and I'm sure a tuning change or two as well :)

Brad