Thread: Coil per cylinder 4.3?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    I'm starting to think the crank sensor wouldn't be as big a deal, I'd bet a 24x would run it, if not the real trick would be figuring out the pattern, because it doesn't appear to be simple. keep in mind, 24/6=4, so it's still an even number of notched per cylinder, whatever that's worth.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by ericjon262 View Post
    I'm starting to think the crank sensor wouldn't be as big a deal, I'd bet a 24x would run it, if not the real trick would be figuring out the pattern, because it doesn't appear to be simple. keep in mind, 24/6=4, so it's still an even number of notched per cylinder, whatever that's worth.

maybe it wouldn't be so hard though, there's always the short*, it had coil per cylinder, and a single dual pattern crank trigger much like the LSx engines, but I'm unsure of the trigger tooth count or spacing.
    Last edited by ericjon262; 08-14-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    without knowing the accuracy of this diagram, the shortstar APPEARS to also use a 24x crank trigger.

http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/sho...category=22670

Looking at that picture it looks to be part of the crank like the northstar. I guess you would just have to find a picture of the crank out of one of those engines. I tried google searching, but came up empty handed.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Fuel Injected!
    I have the original gm training literature from 99 on the shortstar, its a 24x crank reluctor and 1x cam reluctor. It uses a dual pickup crank sensor so if one side fails the engine keeps running. Cool project!

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post
    I have the original gm training literature from 99 on the shortstar, its a 24x crank reluctor and 1x cam reluctor. It uses a dual pickup crank sensor so if one side fails the engine keeps running. Cool project!
    !! !

are there any detail specs on the trigger? is it the same as the LS1 trigger?if it is, that makes my converions plans much easier! do you have any detail pictures of the crank trigger, and the pickup angle?

Thanks-

Eric

Fuel Injected!
    Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor

The camshaft position (CMP) sensor is also a magneto resistive sensor, with the same type of circuits as the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor. The CMP sensor signal is a digital ON/OFF pulse, output once per revolution of the camshaft. The CMP sensor information is used by the PCM to determine the position of the valve train relative to the crankshaft position.
    Camshaft Reluctor Wheel

The camshaft reluctor wheel is part of the camshaft sprocket. The reluctor wheel profile is a smooth track, half of which is of a lower profile than the other half. This allows the CMP sensor to supply a signal as soon as the key is turned ON, since the CMP sensor reads the track profile, instead of a notch.
    Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor

The crankshaft position (CKP) sensor is a three wire sensor based on the magneto resistive principle. A magneto resistive sensor uses two magnetic pickups between a permanent magnet. As an element such as a reluctor wheel passes the magnets the resulting change in the magnetic field is used by the sensor electronics to produce a digital output pulse. This system uses two sensors within the same housing for the V6 engine, and two separate sensors for the V8 engine. The PCM supplies each sensor a 12-volt reference, low reference, and a signal circuit. The signal circuit returns a digital ON/OFF pulse 24 times per crankshaft revolution.
    Crankshaft Reluctor Wheel

The crankshaft reluctor wheel is part of the crankshaft. The notches on the reluctor wheel provide a unique pattern for each pair of cylinders that are at top dead center (TDC) at the same time. This is known as pulse width encoding. This pulse width encoded pattern allows the PCM to quickly recognize which pair of cylinders are at TDC.