Thread: Uber-easy DIY USB ALDL Cable

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Super Moderator
    with a 160 baud only unit, Tx isn't used, so you'll only need Rx connected.

with a 7747, i don't think the 10K is necessary, but i'm not 100% on that.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    Thank you for the reply. Would linking the Tx to Rx cause issues with this ECU? So if I want to be able to connect to other ECU's I would need both joined. Would it be better to do this up front?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    with a 160 baud only unit, Tx isn't used, so you'll only need Rx connected.

with a 7747, i don't think the 10K is necessary, but i'm not 100% on that.

Super Moderator
    connecting them is no problem for the ECM. it takes 3 seconds with a soldering iron, so i would recommend it.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    Thank you. I have the box on order. Looks like it will take a couple weeks to arrive.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    connecting them is no problem for the ECM. it takes 3 seconds with a soldering iron, so i would recommend it.

Fuel Injected!
    Ignore this. I selected to log data and it connected right up even though the test failed. I saw good looking data. Now to do some logging.

---

I am stuck. I cannot get Tuner Pro to find the cable. It is searching at 8192baud. That isn't even an option on the port settings. Tuner Pro only sees COM2 so that is what I set the device to. Currently the port is set to 9600 baud. The device has RXD and TXD ports that were jumpered when it arrived. I assume the RXD port is what I want? I used the 2.8.14 drivers specified on page 15. No change.

Suggestions?
    Last edited by srgould41; 06-07-2014 at 06:18 AM.

Remember me from 2 years ago? :D I'm back to messing with DIY ALDL setup on my 7747, wanted to share updates. Hope it's not old news. Using Sparkfun FTDI Basic Breakout 5V with an emitter-follower transistor as a signal buffer. For whatever reason I could not get a data stream when it was running unless I had the buffer. So far so good, except some data errors after waking the laptop and starting the Jeep. I'll dig into that and do more testing this week as I fine tune the Jeep for emissions using my own Ostrich 2.0 and Burn2 (was using AutoProm in 2012).

When I'm convinced I have it working reliably I'll design a small board for myself with FTDI chip, USB connector, transistor(s), filtering caps, whatever else. I could make extras if anyone is interested. I don't have anything to test the 8192 stuff on, but could try to build it to accommodate that too.
    1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - stock AMC 360 V8, 3" exhaust - 1227747 ECM - $42 ASDU - tc.wagoneer.org - www.bot-thoughts.com

Fuel Injected!
    is thier a cheap simple ft232rl that i can use with my 1227747 ecu that ships from the us instead of from china with their crazy shipping times?