Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GearHead-EFI OBDII Tuning Forum

GearHead-EFI OBDII Tuning Forum

FLASH! Instead of burn...

Time to expand!

Just ordered my Moates RoadRunner, TunerCat OBDII Tuning Software and cable, figured we could see how many are into the newer stuff?

Any suggestions welcome! As we progress we will start a OBDII calibration collection and help each other as we always have.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I took the $$$ plunge into EFI Live about a year and half ago. I'm thinking most members will avoid the expense of OBDII software because of the cost? I keep hoping someone, will provide a low cost "Flash" software for OBDII.

dave w

Super Moderator
    give it time.... i mean, it's been 16 years since OBD2 was introduced, but at one point in time, there were low-cost and free OBD2 tuning options, a lot of which were more or less open source.... but then companies started basically copy/pasting, adding in a couple of small features, and we get to where we are today.

there is good stuff on the horizon.... if you know where to look. :D
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    there is good stuff on the horizon.... if you know where to look. :D
    I've been waiting for the horizon and helping the horizon, but I turned down more OBDII work last month then I had OBDI work... agian...

In the long run I wanted to avoid the high cost of per vehicle license. But there's still only scan tool data for now. Can't find a good alternative for data logging OBDII.

How does the EFI Live Scan work? Will it do all OBDII GM stuff or is it a per vehicle thing too?

I'm also passing on the 96 LT1 Z28. Looking for 1998 up LS1 Z28 or another LS1 type vehicle. Man am I going to be broke...

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    How does the EFI Live Scan work? Will it do all OBDII GM stuff or is it a per vehicle thing too?
    I've been able to scan / data log several GM's OBDII vehicles, very similar to the way TunerPro RT scan / data logs. I'm using EFI Live Flash Scan V2 http://www.efilive.com/index.php?opt...eneral-contect

dave w

So is the FlashScan data really worth $499 ? Ouch... OH! I remember a guy gave me EFI live once.... I wonder if.... no I don't have the cable, just the software...

-= =-

Yea the super high price of obd2 stuff is whats keeping me from using it. Otherwise I would probably be swapping a 411 pcm into my wrangler instead of a 7727. Probably would be looking into a crank trigger and swap my cherokee to the 411 too, if tuning it wasnt so dang blasted expensive. Can we say sequencial and CNP ignition! Just wish the 411 would support CNP ignition in a 6cyl.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    So is the FlashScan data really worth $499 ? Ouch... OH! I remember a guy gave me EFI live once.... I wonder if.... no I don't have the cable, just the software...
    I haven't used my V2 that often, it's mostly been a high priced tool that doesn't get used much. (BTW I got my EFI Live system used off Ebay at about a 35% savings) My current business model, requires me to make the $125 EFI Live license fee non-refundable... Ouch! There is a small market for custom programming street rod / hot rod / off-road applications where the non-refundable license fee is tolerated. There is a small market for a complete stand-alone Road Runner system, including custom wiring harness. My SBC O411 PCM project has generated interest and new business. The price of a decent used LSx engine is affordable compared to a re-built roller SBC. If you invest the time to build a "Hear it Run" LSx engine on a stand with the Road Runner, you will attact a very different kind customer with a very different budget! A customer with "Steak Dinner" on his mind not a "Fast Food Drive Thru"! The kind of customers who don't get their hands dirty, but know and PAY people that will get their hands dirty!

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    I have a bunch of .bin and .cal (tunercat) that I have been collecting. Let me know where you want them uploaded.

I too have been wanting to get into the ODB2 stuff but is too $$$ right now. maybe when I put an LS1 in my toyota i can justify spending the money or someone will have something open source by then.
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,

Quote Originally Posted by cmaje72 View Post
    I have a bunch of .bin and .cal (tunercat) that I have been collecting. Let me know where you want them uploaded.
    I guess we could start a thread in this forum? I too have collected a bunch. I guess it will end up like the OBDI section, tons of stuff and... *work in progress*

-= =-

There are already xdf's for the 411 for TPRTv5. I downloaded a zip file on here that had them in it. (talk about overwhelming ammounts of parameters!)
    So if the xdf's have already been made, whats the biggest reason the DIY people arnt using this more? Is it just a lack of a program to DL and reflash the pcm? I just havent been able to understand the whole per vehicle license thing on the software that is currently avalable, other than a way for the company to continue to make you pay for something you have already paid for.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Super Moderator
    lack of program to up/download + lack of cable to do so.

I thought it was done through the ALDL plug?
    If people can hac bins, write xdf's, adx's, and someone made a program as uber nice as tunerpro, then I'm sure its only a matter of time before someone makes a program to up and download/flash them, thats afordable, if not freeware.

Super Moderator
    yeah, it's done through the data link connector, but you need a somewhat beefy processor in the cable to translate stuff between USB and the comm protocall used by the PCM.

the thread on TGO for the 0411 mentions that Dimented24x7 knows someone who is working on something like a command line (DOS) based programming solution, but i have no idea on what kind of cable is required.