Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast

Thread: Chips in a OBDII PCM?

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    Looking at the above links, here is a idea, tell me if it seems workable.

Remove the original chip in the pcm and replace it with this:
    http://www.logicalsys.com/painfo-vpa...-SOF-D630-44/6
    Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

The total stack height might not fit under the PCM cover?

dave w

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    This got me thinking...If a header (pic below) was soldered onto the PCM main board instead of a chip, then a ribbon cable could be connected to a "yet to be developed Ostrich 3" emulator. I'm thinking TunerPro is far enough along now to support some of the most popular '0411 Operating Systems?

I'm also thinking JeepsAndGuns idea should work if a ribbon cable was connected to a header that is soldered onto the PCM main board, and connected to a PSOP44 adapter board with the chip soldered to it.

dave w
    Just a little cheaper
    $10 vs $50
    http://www.moates.net/roadrunnerdiy-...der-p-119.html

But that was $53 for 6 of them, compared to Moates at $10 each...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    But that was $53 for 6 of them, compared to Moates at $10 each...
    Thanks Mark for pointing that out. Tom said it was a lot more from logicalsys. I am not sure what our cost is then from Moates. Maybe Tom misread it like I did.

In the morning I will pull that PCM apart and time it.

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    The total stack height might not fit under the PCM cover?
    I would almost gaurentee it wouldnt. A hole would have to be cut into the case to allow access to the chip. I wouldnt have a problem doing this. I dont think a cover would be too hard to make to cover the hole. Or you could do like you mentioned and use a ribbion cable and a remote mounted pcb with the ZIF on it. Maybe make a small watertight box to put it in.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Fuel Injected!
    Ok gurus, everbody has been silent for too long lol. I can do the pcb part, so what about the software? Or did i miss it after cramming these 12 pages in 5 minuts? ;)
    If it don't fit force it, if it don't force fit f&%@ it!

I think our plan was to start with the 12200411, which already has a tunerpro XDF. So you could use tunerpro to change the bin, but it has been so long since this thread was taking off, I forgot what was figured out for a chip burner and program to run the specific chip burner. I would have to re read the thread.
    Plus I think the news of the cheap LS1 flash that will be coming out may have made people lose intrest in this.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Fuel Injected!
    I have a '411 project in the works and more on the horizon so if we can get this and the ls1 flash software running id be a happy camper.
    If it don't fit force it, if it don't force fit f&%@ it!

Electronic Ignition!
    Nobody has been working on this? Even Antus wanted this done. I can solder need practice on small smd stuff but don't really have the knowledge to help. If there are some study guides or something I could go over to help me learn I will help as much as I can.

So has this pretty much faded into the past? Or is there still intrest in doing this?
    I am thinking the new flash tool has pretty much made the desire to do this moot?

I do have a question though. If this did happen, would the expensive AVT cable still be required to datalog? Or are there cheaper cables that you can use to just datalog with? Also, what about a chip burner and software to reprogram the chip?

My intrest in the 12200411 has been slightly brought back up as I lucked out at the pull a part and stumbled on a complete untouched 99 chevy 1500 with a 5.3. Got the complete uncut, undamaged harness, a few sensors, and both complete coilpacks. I also have a 411 from another vehicle. It has me wanting to convert my 7427 mpfi system over to the 411.

I've dropped all interest in a flash chip conversion for the '0411 PCM. I use EFI Live to data log with for OBD II, so I personally have not been looking for an alternate source (cable) to data log with. I think the cable and software to data log OBD II would be a married pair.

The 24x crank trigger / 1x cam trigger is needed for the per cylinder coil ignition system. The 4x crank trigger / 1x cam trigger is less complicated / less expensive. It might get expensive to figure out / fabricate a 24x or 4x / 1x cam trigger for an AMC 401?

dave w

The crank trigger wouldnt be much harder than a northstar trigger wheel that I had already started on, I will mod one to go on the front hub of my harmonic balancer between it and the pulley. In fact the 24x maybe a little easyer, since there is not two cps sensors like there is on the northstar. Seems there are a few aftermarket wheels to choose from, and possiably a factory one. I have a few ideas on a cam sensor using parts of a couple old distributors and a little machine work. I wont even fool with doing the conversion unless I do the high res/coil per cylinder version.

So is the avt cable pretty much the cheapest cable capable of datalogging and flashing?

Super Moderator
    there is some talk on TGO of using a ATMEGA328 as a cable processor..... they cost ~$4, then the supporting circuitry isn't going to be very complex/costly after that. just need software to support it.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Sounds interesting. But I assume its just in the planing stage?
    Do you have a link? It would probably be way over my head, but probably a interesting read none the less.

Fuel Injected!
    can log with a cheapy elm cable clear codes etc with this http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3224 or there is a tunerpro adx and its just been used with aldldroid to log ls1 on android with avt cable i think :D