Thread: 12200411 - A Few General Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezobens View Post
    Any reason why you would use the Resonant vs Flat Response Knock Sensor?
    I'm concerned that my engine might false trigger the Resonant style sensor more often than not (mechanical flat tappet cam and roller rocker noise).
    With the 0411 PCM the L31 Vortec engines (Express / Savana) were equipped with Resonant style knock sensors, just like the LSx engines were. There are no OEM defined tables / settings for Flat Response style knocks sensors with these engines using a PCM (0411).

If you conduct an internet search regarding operating an LS2 engine with a PCM, you will read for hours about all of the impasses to attempting to correctly integrate Flat Response knock sensors and a PCM (0411).

Some have tried (and failed) to use the knock sensor settings from a 4.3L V6 using Flat Response knock sensors and a PCM (0411).

Their are couple of companies who offer a wiring harness and PCM that will supposedly achieve this - they don't work. These are typically sold as LS2 conversion kits. Anyone using one of these setups has no knock protection.

Most people who have swapped in a 24x CKP LS2 have mounted the Resonant style knock sensors.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    With the 0411 PCM the L31 Vortec engines (Express / Savana) were equipped with Resonant style knock sensors, just like the LSx engines were. There are no OEM defined tables / settings for Flat Response style knocks sensors with these engines using a PCM (0411).

If you conduct an internet search regarding operating an LS2 engine with a PCM, you will read for hours about all of the impasses to attempting to correctly integrate Flat Response knock sensors and a PCM (0411).

Some have tried (and failed) to use the knock sensor settings from a 4.3L V6 using Flat Response knock sensors and a PCM (0411).

Their are couple of companies who offer a wiring harness and PCM that will supposedly achieve this - they don't work. These are typically sold as LS2 conversion kits. Anyone using one of these setups has no knock protection.

Most people who have swapped in a 24x CKP LS2 have mounted the Resonant style knock sensors.
    OK-
    I was following the path of since the the 4.3L Vortec used the Flat Response Sensors with the 12200411 PCM, why couldn't I just overwrite the 5.7L Knock code with the 4.3L? Seems from the outside that this wouldn't be hard to do but then I have ZERO experience playing with any code within these controllers.
    Bummer, on paper it sounds like this would be a fairly easy switch but it sounds like not so much.
    Thanks!
    Elm