Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Help!!! SBC TBI Cant get over 2300 RPM

Electronic Ignition!
    Dave, I received the chip eraser and writer yesterday and did a test with the re written chip with the file you sent. I also swapped the spark plugs with the recommended set. It seemed to run a heck of a lot better and I was able to get up to around 55mph but didnt feel safe taking if on the freeway(brakes are sketchy at best currently), the more it ran is seemed to run a little rougher. Here is the file please let me know what you think. If I need a custom tune file are you able to provide that or do you know someone that could I would obviously pay for that service but im told not many people are able to do so.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by shawnp707 View Post
    Dave, I received the chip eraser and writer yesterday and did a test with the re written chip with the file you sent. I also swapped the spark plugs with the recommended set. It seemed to run a heck of a lot better and I was able to get up to around 55mph but didnt feel safe taking if on the freeway(brakes are sketchy at best currently), the more it ran is seemed to run a little rougher. Here is the file please let me know what you think. If I need a custom tune file are you able to provide that or do you know someone that could I would obviously pay for that service but im told not many people are able to do so.
    Good Job getting the chip erased and reprogrammed. The data log has both Spark Advance and Base Pulse Width data.

BLM history shows lean at upper RPMs, and rich at lower RPM's. O2 Sensor data looks mostly normal. Spark Advance averages are shown, with minimal knock counts.

Custom tuning is required for optimal performance.

BLM History.JPG

Spark Advance.jpg

Knock Counts.jpg

Monitor O2 Sensor.jpg

Electronic Ignition!
    Thank you I found the process pretty interesting actually, would it be possible for me to tune it or is it a pretty daunting task? Do you know of anyone who is able to do a custom tune? Thank you for the helping, I really appreciate it.

Electronic Ignition!
    Dave I have broken a leg off of the 2732a chip, I ordered a replacement but was unable to write my file to the new chip. After searching the forums Ive found some threads on adapting a ZIF socket to the ecm and using a 27SF512 EEPROM. Can you point me in the direction of where I might be able to find some of these details on using a 27SF512 EEPROM in the 7747. " I'm going to skip over a mountain of details about using a 27SF512 Flash Chip in a '7747 ECM"

http://gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injecti...sion-(27SF512)

The 27SF512 is a 64K chip. The original 1227747 chip is 4K. An offset is needed to use the 27SF512 chip in a 1227747. There are several ways to think about an offset, I like the thinking that only the bottom 4K of the 27SF512 is programmed for the 1227747. My following comment is oversimplified, the ZIF Socket is modified for the 27SF512 to "work like" a 4K chip.

The chip offset information below is from https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...rent-size.html (same information in the attached .pdf)

moates.net

Using Offsets on Chips

How to use offsets when programming chips:
    If the chip you are programming is of a larger capacity than the binary file you are putting on it, you typically need to use an offset with
    respect to chip addressing. This option is shown in the TunerPro RT program under 'Moates Prom I/O'. To program a chip, proceed as follows:

1) Ensure that all programs on the PC are closed, and then connect the AutoProm or Flash & Burn unit. If using a serial version of the AutoProm,
    connect its power supply. Make sure, if using an AutoProm, that it is disconnected from the car's ECM.

2) Once the unit is connected, start up the TunerPro RT program. You should see at the bottom of the window a message like "Connected: AutoProm 2.5.A" or something similar. If this is not shown, and you instead see "Hardware Not Found", then one of the following needs to be checked:
    a) Driver installation. If using a USB product, the proper driver needs to be installed and configured correctly. Check website for detailed
    instructions in this regard.
    b) Switch position. If using an AutoProm, there is a switch on the back (black horizontal) of the unit which needs to be placed in the 'toward the
    middle of the unit' position. If it is in the 'toward the outside' position, then the chip burning and emulation functions will not work.

3) Assuming that (2) is achieved successfully, you are now ready to put a chip in the unit. Place the chip such that the chip notch or arrow is
    oriented in the same direction as the ZIF socket handle, which should be toward the cable connections. Also, make sure that the chip is positioned
    away from the ZIF handle, so that the empty holes in the socket are present at the handle end. The orientation and positioning of the chip in the
    socket is CRITICAL, so make sure that this is correct. See pictures on website for clarity.

4) Under the 'Tools' menu item, select the 'Moates Prom I/O' option, and you will get a submenu. In here, you should do the following in the correct
    order:
    a) Select the type of chip you'll be programming from the drop-down menu. This will likely be either the AT29C256 or the 27SF512.
    b) Pick the 'Load file to buffer' option, and navigate to find the file you want programmed on the chip. Select it, and it will be loaded to
    memory on the PC.
    c) Take note of the file size indicated in the message window. It will likely be one of four sizes: 4k, 16k, 32k, or 64k (kbytes).
    d) Take a look at the top right part of the window, and you'll see the offset values. This is what we'll do next.

5) The file size, along with the chip size, will determine what offsets you need to use. When you change the offset values, you will notice that other
    values will change automatically. Just make sure that the correct values are filled in for all four boxes before programming the chip. The following
    table summarizes what offsets you need to use depending on chip used and file size:

File Size Chip Buffer Start -> End Chip Start -> End
    4k (4096) AT29C256 000000 -> 000FFF 007000 -> 007FFF
    16k (16384) AT29C256 000000 -> 003FFF 004000 -> 007FFF
    32k (32768) AT29C256 000000 -> 007FFF 000000 -> 007FFF
    4k (4096) 27SF512 000000 -> 000FFF 00F000 -> 00FFFF
    16k (16384) 27SF512 000000 -> 003FFF 00C000 -> 00FFFF
    32k (32768) 27SF512 000000 -> 007FFF 008000 -> 00FFFF
    56k (57344) 27SF512 000000 -> 00DFFF 002000 -> 00FFFF
    64k (65536) 27SF512 000000 -> 00FFFF 000000 -> 00FFFF

As you can see, the buffer (or file content) will be placed at the 'end' of the chip.

6) Once you have selected the proper chip, the proper file to use for the program content, and the proper offsets, you are ready to program the chip.
    If using a 27SF512 chip, you must 'Erase Chip' first. This is not needed with the AT29C256. Go ahead and select the 'Program Chip' option. Follow
    this action with a 'Verify' command to make sure everything programmed correctly. You should get a 'Success' notice.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    why stick with the UV eraseable chip vs get the adapters to run SST Chips that don't take a UV eraser?

Electronic Ignition!
    I dont intend to stick with the uv erasable chips but since I just purchased the uv eraser and GQ 4x4 programmer a month or so ago I figured Id give one more shot on a 2732. Looking in the GQ 4x4 software I dont see the 27SF512 which means Im sure I will need to buy another chip burner which I have not figured out yet and Moates website is not longer available.

Fuel Injected!
    Ohh well on that front I have seen people talking about a new site that made a burner that is 100% compatible with most software(tunerpro rt, etc) (and comes with its own), it was over on boostednw.com 27SF512 is definitely on the list cause they mainly deal with Honda stuff and those chips are the main thing they use, its also said they can erase "fake" sst chips which in theory are just bad "clones" of the originals, but still work 100% fine if the burner supports writing/erasing them

I am waiting on my burner hopefully to ship from them this week

Electronic Ignition!
    Well fortunately for me I purchased the GQ 4x4 on amazon so I will likely just return it and get the boosted burner, hopefully the line isnt too long.

Fuel Injected!
    Well fortunately for me I purchased the GQ 4x4 on amazon so I will likely just return it and get the boosted burner, hopefully the line isnt too long.
    Oh thats good you can return it if your still within the return period then, I would definitely opt for a purpose built burner vs a generic eeprom burner

Well they said they are in it for the long haul and the more interest lets them develop more of these items that are "missing" from the market asap

I'm feeling like history of chips would be helpful.

PROM - Program Read Only Memory one time only, once it's programmed that's it.

EPROM - Erasable Program Read Only Memory, using Ultraviolet Light.

EEPROM - Electronically Erasable Program Read Only Memory, or Flash Chips.

Chip Programmers are like many other tools in the toolbox, most likely the more features and benefits a tool has the more the tool will cost.

I decided to go "All IN" for an OBD1 chip programmer and purchased the Batronix BX32P https://www.newark.com/batronix/bx32...-ii/dp/53M6869

The BX32P is overkill for a one-time project. https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2037431.pdf

Complete list of chips supported by the BX32: https://www.batronix.com/pdf/BX32Bat...DeviceList.pdf

Fuel Injected!
    I dont intend to stick with the uv erasable chips but since I just purchased the uv eraser and GQ 4x4 programmer a month or so ago I figured Id give one more shot on a 2732. Looking in the GQ 4x4 software I dont see the 27SF512 which means Im sure I will need to buy another chip burner which I have not figured out yet and Moates website is not longer available.
    I have a GQ 4x4, it definitely does the eeprom 27sf512. I have LOTS of programmers including the Burn2, The GQ 4x4 is my go-to "on the road" programmer now, luv it.

edit: My GQ 4x4 has never had an issue with 21v 2732a's either AND no external power. Straight USB connection. If you already have it, no reason to send it back. I think you will love it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by In-Tech; 01-23-2023 at 09:48 AM.
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Tech View Post
    I have a GQ 4x4, it definitely does the eeprom 27sf512. I have LOTS of programmers including the Burn2, The GQ 4x4 is my go-to "on the road" programmer now, luv it.

edit: My GQ 4x4 has never had an issue with 21v 2732a's either AND no external power. Straight USB connection. If you already have it, no reason to send it back. I think you will love it.
    Some people prefer simplicity, Why do you think so many got burn2 instead

Fuel Injected!
    Price... the burn2 was relatively cheap at ~$80 and I think the GQ was around $120, didn't care, I was tired of my parallel port programmers(Data I/O, Pocket Programmers, etc etc) and the big bad ass usb one I had at the time to do BGA's(and just about anything) was cumbersome. I bought a Burn2 specifically to work with some Ford stuff I got from Moates.
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!
    Btw, the GQ 4x4 is only $92 US
    https://www.mcumall.com/comersus/sto...idProduct=4282

Have a look at additional adapters and other things for the future ;) I have no affiliation with this site. Like most of us, I am a tool junkie so I buy crapola all the time just to check it out. I am very happy with this product.
    -Carl