Thread: 69 Van Project update

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    pm sent with shipping address.
    -Carl

Carb and Points!
    Guy here in Michigan has one of those. 6 with a 3 on tree. He swapped the 6 for a really healthy 327. I don't remember his times but with slicks he carries the fronts through second. Fun watching him row a column shifter

Fuel Injected!
    My 66 short GMC van did 17 flat in the quarter with six, three-speed stick and one barrel carb!.....These vans are a very stout but lightweight unibody with boxed sheet-metal frame rails spot welded to the bottom....
    Dodge and Chevy vans were available in 90 and 108 inch wheelbases with the Econoline Fords all being 90 inch...
    Stock configuration has the balancer over the front axle, but with some fab work you can put the engine anywhere you like... There are even some with the engine out back and running a v-drive....Mine has an 18 inch setback...

Fuel Injected!
    So, slightly different test today....
    From cold, I idled the engine in gear about 20 minutes to reach 190 where the fan comes on and cools to 174 in about three minutes when the fan shuts off... another two minutes and it continues down to 169 and starts climbing again....
    At this point I brought the rpm up to 1500 in gear against the brakes and it got back to 190 in about 4 minutes and another 5 minutes to 220 at which time I let it go back to idle and it kept rising to 228 over the next 4 minutes and didn't drop at all in ten minutes and then to 220 in another 10 after I put it in neutral.... After that, it never dropped any temp as long as it ran.... The fan is on automatically above 190....
    What I'm taking from this is that I'm short on cooling capacity and even though I intend to flush the system and try again, I believe that I'll get no improvement until I add overall cooling core capacity......
    I'm still not certain if pulling back the timing mechanically (unlinked) is honored or ignored by the ECM when it is re-linked.....