Quote Originally Posted by tayto View Post
how are you breaking in the engine? with a flat or hydraulic tappet cam, after initial break in i will dump the oil, but why are you changing oil after a few hundred miles? i normally goto a "normal" oil change interval and just add oil to make sure it stays at full until next oil change. i would do at least 2 normal OCIs befote switching to synthetic, but that's me. im also a fan of "beating on it" vs the old school way of driving like grandma.
I am a little different. For my roller cam small blocks. Mobil One in the pan, prime the system with a drill and priming tool, then start it up. Run it at 2,500 rpm long enough to get it warm and shut it off. Check it over for leaks, loose bolts, etc. Then take it out and beat the absolute crap out of it from the first stop sign. At 60K on the short block I used 1 qt over 2,200 miles and much of that was 75-90 mph. I am not even sure it was all the rings fault even. The valve seals were also a bit hardened and the front crank seal had a seep at the time as well.