Quote Originally Posted by vilefly
I bet those shaft rockers were pricey as hell.
Quote Originally Posted by spfautsch View Post
... I would have been money ahead to have bought them in the first place.
It may not be obvious to newer readers of the thread but last year I bought a set of Crower rockers with offset drilled trunnions to solve the problem of the roller tips landing towards the outer 1/3 of the valve stem. My net spend there was about $500 after transplanting the trunnions into the far superior Comp chromoly steel rocker bodies and selling the resultant hybrid Crower rockers. So if I knew what I know now I would have gladly spent the ~$950 on these (shaft mount) rockers initially because the Comps were $300 or so to start with, not to mention the price of the ARP 7/16 studs and the large collection of guideplates and pushrods I've purchased along the way. The gain in power is one thing, but when you consider all the other geometry problems the shaft rockers fix such as the lifter centerlines being narrower than the valve stem centers, it's kind of a no-brainer.

After closer inspection of my old rocker arms and studs, I think my valvetrain noise might have been the rocker bodies on one or more cylinders contacting the studs at full lift. This only happened after reaching full operating temp so I would guess I could have fixed it with 0.050" shorter pushrods, or clearancing the rocker bodies slightly to allow for more gross lift. With that said, knowing what I know now if I ever build another Gen2 LT-1 (or any other SBC for that matter) the first item on my shopping list would be Scorpion shaft mount rockers.