Thread: Repurposing Mercury Outboard Vapor Separator

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Electronic Ignition!
    Tayto:

After rethinking the vapor separator issues presented (namely, fuel getting hot and also a fire hazard under the hood) I have decided to run solid stainless supply and return lines while using a 1987 Camino TBI tank and sending unit (with a Camaro fuel pump).

Vapor separator unit ("VSU") hookup is actually quite simple: i.) output from the mechanical fuel pump flows to the VSU; ii.) fuel in VSU reservoir is pumped by high pressure pump contained in VSU to fuel rail; iii.) fuel rail return is plumbed to the VSU. VSU eliminates new tank, new fuel lines, new sending unit and new fuel pump in tank. Downside: i.) hot fuel; ii.) extreme vapor pressure due to hot fuel which may not be able to be handled by carbon canister and vent; and iii.) fire hazard under the hood (VSU fuel reservoir could rupture in an accident and cause a huge fire or excess gas fumes could ignite if not effectively handled by carbon canister and vent).

PS I am going to use the vapor separator for when I run the TPI engine on the engine stand.
    Last edited by xcookpac; 03-30-2019 at 06:46 PM.