Thread: 94 Z71 TBI on vortec build runs richer than a crooked politician!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Yes your ontrack now. It will not be long now! The idea is to move the throttle slowly enough to where the cells of that table are in steady state. Not jumping all over the place in transition. If your o2 did not work then did I would check the readings for voltage offsets before going too far. Grounding the wideband to the computer ground terminal is good practice.

Its almost looks like the dashboard reads backwards. It goes from 0 to 50 in reverse when it moves to 50. Like its retarding and not really at 50, but I am guessing? Could be a fault with the way the adx is set up. Someone with more experience in tuner pro should look for you.

I was checking out the timing and it idles at .7 TPS and anything under .8 TPS makes it go to 50 timing, as soon as you barely crack the throttle it go's back to normal. I just did from stop to 70mph at 20% tps datalog and corrected then did 30% from stop to 80mph and will correct that now. It's not filling in near as many history tables as before and on the 20% since it only filled in up to 2000 rpm thats all I changed is to 2000 and left the rest unmodified, on blank cells 2000 and under I filled in numbers close to the surrounding ones. Is this correct?

Yes, quality data over quantity. You can hit other cells by heading to the nearest hills, long uphill and downhill will let you catch some more go up and down a few times with different throttle openings. Some cells you have to average as you will not be able to hit them without a lot of trouble. Some drag the brakes but that can overheat them fast.

Good deal, thank's for letting me know I'm on the rite track. I know where a few hills are and I'll give that a try after this correction.

Ok, does anybody ever get these TBI systems tuned out rite?! I've been working on this and then let the guy who originally sold me the custom chip work on it for a while now and after nearly dying this morning when it fell on it's face and died entering the highway leaving me as a prime T-bone candidate with trucks speeding towards me at 80+MPH and I'm in neutral spinning the engine over hoping for some not dead, she finally sputters back to life and get's out of the way without a moment to spare!! I'm about ready to carb this sucker!!!!!!!! I don't know if it's just mine or what. My avatar pic to your left is a tuned port conversion I did many years ago and I tuned it out in no time, it had great mileage with tons of power. I also did an old style 350 with LT1 intake modified to accept a dissy, welded bosses on each corner for 4 point cooling since it was a reverse flow intake and mounted a remote thermostat housing on the fenderwell. Even that tuned out great with an old 7730 and super aujp. now I have a plain jane TBI with a little cam and vortec heads and it is seemingly impossible to get tuned out to run even close to what it should be capable of or at least SAFE! I'm even contemplating getting a FITECH or similar system and letting my pcm control the 4l60e for me. I wish I could find some type of port injection for it but anything out there is priced like it's gold plated. I was thinking about another TPI intake but just the lower intake is $400. I am open to all suggestions folks, and I know there are several great minds on here who have way more experience than I do so lets here some ideas!???

TBI is not that hard its a little harder than the later systems though. Mine runs 124 to 132 BLM in most cells depending on the weather changes, the baby roller cam helped, but it still took a few weekends to sort out the fuel table, the timing table is still in progress. I have seen it many times though, the same people cursing at tbi system are the same ones cursing at their new system.
    Last edited by donf; 02-26-2019 at 04:39 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    Ok, does anybody ever get these TBI systems tuned out rite?! I've been working on this and then let the guy who originally sold me the custom chip work on it for a while now and after nearly dying this morning when it fell on it's face and died entering the highway leaving me as a prime T-bone candidate with trucks speeding towards me at 80+MPH and I'm in neutral spinning the engine over hoping for some not dead, she finally sputters back to life and get's out of the way without a moment to spare!! I'm about ready to carb this sucker!!!!!!!! I don't know if it's just mine or what. My avatar pic to your left is a tuned port conversion I did many years ago and I tuned it out in no time, it had great mileage with tons of power. I also did an old style 350 with LT1 intake modified to accept a dissy, welded bosses on each corner for 4 point cooling since it was a reverse flow intake and mounted a remote thermostat housing on the fenderwell. Even that tuned out great with an old 7730 and super aujp. now I have a plain jane TBI with a little cam and vortec heads and it is seemingly impossible to get tuned out to run even close to what it should be capable of or at least SAFE! I'm even contemplating getting a FITECH or similar system and letting my pcm control the 4l60e for me. I wish I could find some type of port injection for it but anything out there is priced like it's gold plated. I was thinking about another TPI intake but just the lower intake is $400. I am open to all suggestions folks, and I know there are several great minds on here who have way more experience than I do so lets here some ideas!???
    Mine over the years have run as reliably as they did stock. Just ALOT more get up and go.