Thread: Towing with T56

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    4+ years later..... I finally had to take the T56 out to take it apart. But not for any reason related to towing with it, which many internet "experts" say you simply cannot do. The stock stamped steel 3-4 slider keys finally broke, a common problem with T56s that can happen at any time. When this happens it gets stuck in 4th gear. Everything else inside the gearbox looks perfect, bearings, tooth contact patterns, races, synchros etc.

I bought this used T56 secondhand on CL 8 years ago, beat the shit out if it in this pickup behind a SBC for years. Lately, I have been thrashing it some more behind my S475 turbocharged LQ4 (still in the same heavy AF truck). I also towed with this trans in the truck a few dozen times after the original post, didn't get to run it over a CAT scale every time but it was always around the ballpark of 11,000+ pounds based on the occasions that I did hit a scale.

Since I'm in the gearbox to replace the broken slider keys I'm bulletproofing it at the same time, building a T56 hybrid. Credit for this info goes to this guy here:
    https://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z2..._Fbody_T56.pdf

SSR 32 spline mainshaft, solid billet slider keys, bronze fork pads, triple/double cone synchros, TH400 slip yoke. I'm also going to TIG weld a -6AN fitting onto the case for a fluid/sprayer pump. This will eventually get hooked up to a pump which will spray oil directly at the headset gears. Should be a good addition when I start to crank up the boost in this heavy groundpounder.

The trans on the bench ready for teardown

Everything inside looks perfect. It's just the goofy stock stamped steel keys that forced me to take it apart.

The F-body gearset is sticking in the bench. Corvette input in the front cover, F-body laying next to it. Corvette and F-body clutsters laying next to each other.

SSR oil seal, bronze fork pads, and billet keys. Also a 3/16 loose ball bearing for the upgraded 1/2 snychro retainer.

SSR mainshaft, VSS reluctor, 1/2 synchro retainer, small input bearing, TH400 yoke, and steel Viper 3/4 fork.

Not a lick of unusual wear anywhere in the whole thing.

The C5 Corvette donor trans for the hybrid build.

Corvette and Fbody T56 torn down. There is a 3rd T56 floating around the shop somewhere haha.
    Last edited by CDeeZ; 02-28-2018 at 02:52 AM.