Quote Originally Posted by vilefly View Post
I suspect that the LTCC module simply lets the original ECM run the coil dwell time.
Is this module still available? I don't see any technical data about it on his website and most of the links are dead.

I will attempt to prove that the ECM controls coil dwell time, not the Ignition module with a waveform if I can find the time. Something like EST signal vs primary waveform.
Even if it does that's somewhat irrelevant, because we would still have to maintain a real-time picture of RPM and commanded spark advance in the uc to be able to provide adequate coil charge time while avoiding overcharging / overheating the coils.

As to controlling dwell time yourselves, I suspect they use a simple lookup table instead of real-time calculations that would slow everything down.
Even with lookup tables for dwell you still have to calculate RPM, advance, and ideally supply voltage to know what to lookup. I believe this may be possible with a 16mhz avr, but I'm not sure I trust myself to write the code to maintain accurate spark to 6800rpm with a $25 microcontroller.