Thread: Where can I go for harness modifications

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by pro View Post
    Sweet thanks, this is awesome info. I always thought these proms were a burn once, throw away if done incorrectly. Like CD-ROMs.
    Do you happen to know if a the TBI 12psi fuel system is enough to get an MPFI motor started and idling? I understand cruising down the highway wont work, but what about just 1000rpm in the garage during initial tests.
    Also, you said you have converted many to MPFI. How did you solve the brake booster and fuel line issues? I cant see where the booster goes on my camaro, but it appears to be a port on the back, connected via rubber hose. Whereas the TBI of course is half metal line half rubber. A friend of mine converted his truck (NBS though) to hydroboost and loves it, but mentioned that even the slightest bit of contamination can cause steering issues.

Throttle cables and cruise control doesnt seem like that big of a deal.
    Getting vacuum to the booster is not an issue at all. Just unhook the hose from the brake booster check valve, throw the TBI metal line away and use bulk vacuum hose.

I swapped my Express to hydroboost and love it.

A TPI will not even attempt to start at TBI pressure.

You will need a F or B car passenger side bracket for the compressor.

Like I said though, have personally done the swap on an older G-van and it really was not worth it. The torque curve is wrong for a heavy truck. You loose torque in the 1,800-2,800 rpm range compared to a good dual plane and the runners will choke the engine at about 5,000. You can rev to 6,500 with a decent cam, good heads and speings but the power stops building at 5,000. The TPI did not offer any real fuel economy benifit either since it is batch fire.
    Last edited by Fast355; 04-26-2017 at 03:59 AM.