disclaimer - I'm pretty new to tuning myself but am a programmer and have spent a lot of time looking at the disassemblies/"hacks"

I have a 1993 s10 blazer with the cpi/vortec v6 which also runs the 16168625. I have tweaked my fuel/ve tables, spark advance, shift points, TCC lockup points, shift pressure/timing, line pressure and haven't run into any issues that would make me want to upgrade to OD. I might try it at some point anyway but there hasn't been any apparent problem that OD would solve.

I would suggest just start playing with the bin that's already running your truck. Any changes you make can easily be carried over to OD at a later time, so you aren't losing anything.

First step would be to read and save a copy of your stock bin(not really required if it's already on the net, but might as well do it anyway). From there you can begin exploring the calibration in TP, logging, and making changes.

Once you are more familiar then you will be in a better position to make comparisons when/if you do switch to OD, since you'll have to start with another bin. Granted since you can likely find a bin that ran on the same hardware and is running a newer OS and calibration it should theoretically be "better" to start with, but nobody is going to make any guarantees.

I am running E6_tpv5_v250.xdf and A201_E6_v250.adx from http://www.tunerpro.net/downloadBinDefs.htm, which are likely the same that you would find on this site. I haven't tried the transmission specific adx.

Once you have the xdf and your bin loaded, you can download other bins that run on the same OS just to make comparisons. You can also download the the OD xdf and bins and look through those to compare to your bin. You can only have one xdf open per tunerpro app, so you can't directly compare an E6 bin with a OD bin using TP's comparison tools, but opening two instances of the app you can easily compare things like timing tables visibly. You can also copy and paste from one to the other.

jim:

Do you have specific things in mind (or a link) regarding what's better with OD? I have looked through both disassemblies and they are both pretty complete (and share a lot of code). The E6 xdf has been excellent also imo.