Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
The keyway is irrelevant. Put the engine to TDC #1 and then install the wheel and sensor so the sensor is aligned to the #1 TDC spot on the wheel. It doesn't matter where the sensor is as long as the wheel is rotated to match.

Yes, it appears that is the correct #1 TDC on the wheel.

On another note, you'll have to figure out how to pin or key the hub onto the LT1 engine if you're going to mount this wheel to it.
I think I understand this now.

I’m still undecided about which wheel to go with yet, and will decide after a little more thought into the external mounting of the reluctor, but in either case (from what I gather now) is to start with the engine at TDC#1.

My earlier assumption, given that the crankshaft keyway (usually at 1:30, at least that what I’ve seen on my most of the TDC#1 pics), that isn’t necessarily where TDC#1 is on the reluctor. TDC#1 on the reluctor is actually at the 7:30 position, which is where GM/Chev mounts the sensor on their timing covers. The keyway is opposite TDC#1 on the reluctor, and the keyway only acts to hold the reluctor in place. Is this correct?

Given I’m mounting an external reluctor, I can clock the TDC#1 point on the reluctor, to align with the sensor at whatever mounting location I chose? Is this correct?

So, on the LS reluctor, TDC#1 is as pointed out in the pic so just align the sensor and this point.

If using the L21 BB reluctor, I didn’t see a reference point for TDC#1, but given the above “assumption” of the keyway positioning at TDC#1, TDC#1 would be opposite the keyway on the reluctor, and as long as TDC#1 is aligned with the sensor, I can clock the reluctor and sensor together the same as the LS reluctor.

Gawd, I hope I’ve got this right now. If I do, this is actually pretty simple, but in my research the last few days, I couldn’t find anything on any forums etc. where there was a direct answer to this question (at least not where someone new to this could clearly understand or count on).

As for PIN'ing or keying the crank hub to mount the reluctor, I've not figured that out 100% yet. Still a design in progress, and any ides or suggestions are very welcomed.