Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
I guess everyone who is swapping an LS engine into their rides to go faster is doing it wrong...

The torque curve tells you how fast you accelerate when you have the drivetrain but the HP curve tells you how fast you could accelerate when you are picking the drivetrain.

I've really only seen curves where an older small-block had more torque below 2500rpm but really fell off above 5k rpm where a similar LS engine held the torque until well over 6k rpm. Around 2.5-5k the torque curves are similar if not having the LS engine ahead a bit. I would attribute the difference to shorter intake and/or exhaust runners used on the LS engines. If you insist on running <2.5k towing then the small-block could have an advantage. But, gear the LS vehicle to hold another 1000rpm at the same speed and it would kill the small-block at all speeds. You could also put a long runner intake and headers on the LS and it would likely match the small block power curve.

My parents take a trailer to Florida every year and their '06 5.3L LS truck used about a 1/3 less fuel than their old '90 TBI truck and pulls better too.

I'd put this LQ4 into my car over any small-block I've managed to build.
The crossover point is higher up around 4,500 rpm. The reason for the elevated peak is port size and velocity. The LS head ports are HUGE compared to the older stuff. I have older Car Craft magazines with the 5.3 and the 330 hp 350 crate engine dyno's as well as a LS1 5.7 dyno. The stock crate engine cammed 350 made 377 hp and the LS1 made 400. With the hotcam the L31 + Hotcam made more power EVERYWHERE than the stock LS1 + Headers.