Thread: Bench running a speedometer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Well I was talking about this to a co-worker yesterday and he mentioned he had a couple small 12v motors. One he said came out of a small cheap air compressor that plugged into the cig lighter, and the other he has no clue, but he thinks possiably a rc car.
    So I fool around with them. The one from the compressor has a gear on the end I cant really use. The unknown one has some brass end on it that looked like it went inside a plastic gear at one time but broke. So its just kinda a round kunrled nub. I find a peice of vaccum hose would tightly slip over it, and then loosely slip over the speed sensor drive (but still enough to grip it) I find a old dimmer switch for the dash lights in a vehicle, I hook it up with the motor and 12v is spinning it way way too fast, even at the low setting. So I try 5v and it sounds more like it. I zip tie the motor and sensor to a peice of wood, wire it all up and give it a try with the broken cluster. Everything seems to be in order. So far its working. I dont have quite as fine of adjustment as I wanted using the dimmer switch, but I can get it up to around 75-80 mph, move it a fraction more and it goes past 80. Not sure I want to run it that fast. I used my multimeter and its putting about 0.8 volts to the motor to get it at the correct rpm. Anyone have any idea of maybe something else with a more fine adjustment I could use to adjust the voltage?
    I'm gonna let it run for a few hours with the broken cluster and make sure everything keeps working ok then start on the good cluster.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Just to update for anyone who cares. It ran non stop all week and finally reached the proper mileage this afternoon. Did the swap and it was a sucess!
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.