Thread: ECM Test Bench

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator
    The "no longer available" stimulator looks like one designed by (I think) Bob Ward? He was on thirdgen last I knew. If my memory's any good he had an old Malibu with twin blowers from a junkyard. He said he built that after looking at my test bench and deciding there was no way he wanted something so big and clumsy.

At the time, I thought mine was pretty organized. I used an ignition module from a small cap dizzy to drive a small LED so I had visual confirmation that the RPM generator was working. I picked up a GM test tool from a swap meet which outputs various frequency A/C signals for testing DRAC, instrument clusters, &etc. For most of what I was doing I found a fixed RPM input was satisfactory. I've also seen people use cable driven magnetic VSS connected to an igniton module as an rpm input. I used pots for sensors and put LED's on several of the outputs and on the REF and EST lines. Having trouble finding pictures but then again, I haven't had it out for at least 5 years. Here's the DIS system I set up for testing:

disrig2.JPG

It's an old PC fan with notches and a crank sensor connected to an actual DIS module. A dial back light was useful in measuring delivered timing to confirm chip settings. A PC power supply for the bench worked well for most testing but the DIS module with coils attached required more current so I had an automotive "jump pack" attached along with the power supply.
    Last edited by 1project2many; 12-23-2011 at 05:02 AM.