Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: just getting started - tbi with old school edelbrock efi conversion

Fuel Injected!
    Okay. I just got both connected. Awesome!

Check Engine Light working correctly? $42 ADX file loaded in TP? ALDL port wired correctly?

Hmmmm? I wonder if the AutoProm data cable is also subject to the FTDI Driver issue? Check and see what drivers you have installed?
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...to-TunerPro-RT

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    well, I kind of spoke too soon. It connected both, but it was not reading live data - all the values were just staying constant.

To answer your question though, the CEL works in the sense that it lights up, but there is an issue where even with the engine off and the key out of the ignition, the CEL stays illuminated unless you disconnect the battery or ECM. Don't know if that is related to the issue.

I do feel like we are making progress!

I will run through and check the drivers and let you know what I find.

Fuel Injected!
    Mark - Thanks for being awesome!

The driver was too new. I regressed to the one suggested. I'll try it now and see what happens.

EDIT: So, same deal it shows connected, but it will not read live data. Every once in awhile, it'll read for about 2 seconds, and then stop. I am at a loss.
    Last edited by PowerAddict; 09-08-2013 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerAddict View Post
    To answer your question though, the CEL works in the sense that it lights up, but there is an issue where even with the engine off and the key out of the ignition, the CEL stays illuminated unless you disconnect the battery or ECM. Don't know if that is related to the issue.
    This is a major issue that needs to be fixed! Something is wrong and could effect everything!

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    so, more of the backstory:

They had the original ECM (which also was a '7747) in the truck with one of the many chips they have that someone tried to desktop tune (that never worked) and someone broke in and stole that. It did not have the stuck on CEL.

So, they got this '7747 from a junkyard and now the CEL is stuck on - so I'm only to assume its the ECM causing the issue. I'd assume the junkyard unit probably has corrosion shorting the bars inside.

I suppose we'll start over. Thanks Mark.

The CEL needs two things to stay on, power and ground. The ECM supplies the ground in this equation, and I don't recall if the ground is present with the ignition off or not.

But the fact that the CEL remains on, tells me that the ignition is also staying on, since it's supplied through the gauge cluster ignition feed, at least on factory vehicles it is, and as long as the cluster wiring has not been modified it will still be this way.

Fix all known issues before even attempting to tune, or care about making ECM hardware modifications.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    so, lesson learned - never assume someone else did the right job.

I knew the problem lied in the PCM so I started digging around. The connector for the PCM had some really caked in there gunk, almost looked like gorilla glue. And the pin couldn't go in, and so it bent over and made connection to the adjacent pin. Truck runs better than it ever did, and no more stuck on CEL.

Tune is sitll not perfect. I have the dumbest of dumb questions but, I have everythign working now, it emulates and it everything but...where are the tables to tune with? I thought they were supposed to be on the parameter tree drop down but nothing is there. Why am I dumb?

Thanks.

I hate when that happens!

Lets start with Tunerpro RT open, View, Show Parameter Tree. Then in the tree there are a few choices as well. I've set up categories in $42 so use it!

Push buttons man! Learn to use the features of the software!

-= =-

I always assume that whoever worked on it before me did it wrong...
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    For some reason it didn't have the right ADX file in there. I put the updated one in and all the variables are there.

However, when I click on them, they don't do anything. I'll figure that part out I think. slowly making progress!

Fuel Injected!
    alright, I can find the tables now (I didn't see tht it is projected behind the dashbord.)

I looked at a few tables and they aren't populated? Why aren't the populated with the current cal's values? Is there like a quick, populate all tables from current file, button or something?

Administrator
    Yep! Me, too.

The Edelbrock 7747 conversions really never worked correctly even when the application was otherwise stock. The ecm was always in TBI mode and many of the table setting were skewed badly in order to make up for a system designed to provide fuel to a "wet" intake manifold. With time and patience you can probably make the engine run acceptably well but switching to controls designed for port fuel is usually rewarding even after making a "runs good" tune for the Edelbrock system.
    Last edited by 1project2many; 10-06-2013 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerAddict View Post
    alright, I can find the tables now (I didn't see tht it is projected behind the dashbord.)

I looked at a few tables and they aren't populated? Why aren't the populated with the current cal's values? Is there like a quick, populate all tables from current file, button or something?
    Sounds like you need to load the correct bin and correct XDF.

-= =-