Thread: 4L60E is out and 4L80E about to go in.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator
    I am tempted to add the oem auxiliary on the driverside to keep the 4.3 stalled 80e cool.
    The OEM cooler is spendy and only connects to those "almost" fuel line quick connects that GM likes for transmissions. Around here the trans lines rust away and the cooler ends up as junk anyway. So we grab one from Advance and rivet it to the OEM brackets and run corrosion-proof rubber hose under the radiator to the aux cooler. Part no 243012.

Dorman sells replacement cooler lines that fit a vehicle with 80E and aux cooler for less than GM. I can get part nos if interested. We've switched many of our vehicles to inverted flare fittings and of course, the hose out in front. We make the lines from scratch. This is because the supply of lines from OE and aftermarket has been inconsistent over the years. I can dig out part nos for the trans fittings we use if desired.

4L60E hate humor? I've been working on that trans since the first days when they'd puke front seals and burn up pumps as you tried to drive it out of the shop. No matter how good they get now, they're always going to be junk to me.

Some van shift cables are two parts, upper and lower. Upper may be same for both trannies. I believe that started in '03 for the one tons but maybe the smaller vans started earlier.

I have multiple 80E van cals including 2002 Cali and Federal versions. I'll try to upload the '02 versions today. I believe TC does segment swaps although I wouldn't guarantee it.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    The OEM cooler is spendy and only connects to those "almost" fuel line quick connects that GM likes for transmissions. Around here the trans lines rust away and the cooler ends up as junk anyway. So we grab one from Advance and rivet it to the OEM brackets and run corrosion-proof rubber hose under the radiator to the aux cooler. Part no 243012.

Dorman sells replacement cooler lines that fit a vehicle with 80E and aux cooler for less than GM. I can get part nos if interested. We've switched many of our vehicles to inverted flare fittings and of course, the hose out in front. We make the lines from scratch. This is because the supply of lines from OE and aftermarket has been inconsistent over the years. I can dig out part nos for the trans fittings we use if desired.

4L60E hate humor? I've been working on that trans since the first days when they'd puke front seals and burn up pumps as you tried to drive it out of the shop. No matter how good they get now, they're always going to be junk to me.

Some van shift cables are two parts, upper and lower. Upper may be same for both trannies. I believe that started in '03 for the one tons but maybe the smaller vans started earlier.

I have multiple 80E van cals including 2002 Cali and Federal versions. I'll try to upload the '02 versions today. I believe TC does segment swaps although I wouldn't guarantee it.
    Thanks for the heads up on the cooler.

The 97 appears to have 2 shift cable part numbers for a 350. One for a 60e and the other for an 80e.

With the absence of winter salt our rubber hoses break down in the extreme heat and fail long before the metal lines corrode.

The dormain lines are the ones I was going to use and I was going to find a used oem cooler and flush it out real well.

I have tried to open a .bin with HP Tuners and it is not a valid file type. I definately don't want to start with the california junk, but would appreciate a 2002 Federal 5.7/4L80E calibration read.

Funny thing the transmission dipstick tube was how you mentioned, two pieces with the lower half being different. I need to research the part number on the actual dipstick.

Yea I never have understood why GM chose to strangle their 5.7 with tuning trying to keep that POS 4L60E alive rather than just upgrading their trucks to a 4L80e.
    Last edited by Fast355; 08-19-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Administrator
    Part no for lower tube is 15004204. We keep a couple in stock because they get rusty.

My files are Tunercat .cal files. Can probably convert to .bin but not to .hpt.

Old work laptop not logging onto network. IT probably made changes since last used. If no copies of cals on laptop at home I'll post tomorrow.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Part no for lower tube is 15004204. We keep a couple in stock because they get rusty.

My files are Tunercat .cal files. Can probably convert to .bin but not to .hpt.

Old work laptop not logging onto network. IT probably made changes since last used. If no copies of cals on laptop at home I'll post tomorrow.
    Thanks for the part number. Luckily my 4L80E came with one included.