Thread: TBI Chip 1983 CJ 7 with 1990 350 TBI having chip proram issues

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Y’all have no idea how much I appreciate your help.

Here is where I am at right now. I spoke with my credit card company today to see if I can dispute this purchase of the chip from TBIChips and I was told I had up to 60 days to do so.

As much as I would like to just be done with it, I have to play the game of sending the chip back to him and giving him the opportunity to make it right. But first I am working on getting an older laptop today so that I can have one dedicated for data logging and I already ordered a cable the other day (that is how I actually came to find this site). Once I get the data logging figured out I will pull a data log from my Jeep so that I can share with you but to also send to Brain and give him an opportunity to fix it and make it right. However I am not going to keep going back and forth with him like I have noticed others on this site do and be stuck with a $270 chip that doesn’t work. I figure this may take a couple of weeks to play out. Meantime with your help I plan to learn more about TunerPro and get a better under standing of what is involved in burning my own chips.

As far as not having a knock sensor, when I first did this conversion several years ago it was explained to me that if I was planning on running headers (which I was) that the knock sensor would not work well and would pick up false reading and would end up hurting me than helping me. At time I knew very little and trusted the man selling me the chip and wiring harness. Of course so often that is how I learn. I now know different. Hopefully we can work around this problem and create a program that will perform well with out it and without any detonation issues.

If I understand correctly the timing curve is programmed into the chip so when I advance the base timing I am moving the whole curve by that amount. For example if at 0 deg base timing I have a total of 30 deg of timing advance when I move the timing back 8 deg I now have a total advance of 38 deg plus the initial timing will also be moved back 8 deg. Because right now after checking my timing with the motor revved up and the timing at total advance I have 38 deg. I knew when he told me to do this it didn’t sound right but I was amazed that it did work and there is no sign of detonation that I can notice even after lugging the motor hard and trying to make it clatter I didn’t hear any. But I am sure this summer when the temp is up to 100 deg that will be a different story.

Its kind of funny people that know me, know that I do my best to do everything myself and very seldom need outside help and if I don’t know how to do something I try and research it and learn it.. But when it came to converting to EFI I just didn’t have a clue and trusted others that seemed to have a reputable reputation once again here I am learning the hard way.
    Last edited by devind; 01-08-2013 at 07:12 PM.