Thread: Performance tuning the 4L60E and 4L80E Transmission VIA PCM

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    We are trying to get the tips and trick in one thread so good hijack! What are you looking to do? Although transmiossions are differant the paremeters to adjust are similar.
    Sure, I'll explain it all here.

I have been running a 4L80E with a PCS TCU-2000 behind an LT1 (still controlled by the stock PCM (16188051)), in an Impala SS. Conventional wisdom at that time was that an external TCU was the only option for controlling a 4L80E back when I installed the 4l80e. A lot has changed since then, and now I want to go back to the stock PCM for controlling the trans.

I used Tunercat with the CE version of EEB.tdf to switch the solenoid settings in the constants table, and re-pinned the trans connector. It seems to work fine on a short drive around the block. However, I'm very concerned that I not make a mistake by using incorrect line pressure settings, as well as other key controlling tables, in order to avoid burning it up after a few blasts down the 1320. I have a friend that did the swap using TC and he burned up 2nd gear. After looking at his bin file, it looks like he bumped up the line pressure significantly. Might have been his undoing.

Oh I just got a response from Bryan Herter, who said that he uses the same parameters for the 4L80E as he's been using with the 4L60E. So I guess I have my answer, unless you think otherwise?

Thank you,
    Glen Koenig
    Last edited by Glen Koenig; 12-11-2012 at 12:30 AM. Reason: changed reason for using external controller