Thread: 3.8L V6 Supercharged?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Super Moderator
    04-05 MC SS were the super 3.8, the 06-07 MC SS were the 5.3 LS4 w/303HP and ~320 lb/ft.

unfortunately, the LS4 cars tend to tear through 4T65E-HD transmissions. if i were to ever acquire one, step #1 would be dropping out the 4T65 and installing 4T80. why GM chose to use a 4T65 in an application that generated more torque than the highest output 4T80 application, i'll never know.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

opps, 5.3L...

I stopped looking at Camaros and Trans Ams when my back went out, been a couple years and I forgot how much that limits mobility... plus having 3 back surgeries plays a role... then I found the Monte Carlo SS was easy to get in and out of... but then saw the prices and I got a truck...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

As for GM deciding to go with the 4T65E-HD trans over the 4T80E in the LS4 equipped W-body cars, that is a mystery that has always baffled me as well. The only reasons that I could think of would be the size and weight of the 4T80E. They are monsters and weigh a ton ! That is the only rational reason that I can come up with. Those cars are absolutely a beast to drive compared to any other production FWD car I have ever seen and are a ton of fun to play around in. I worked for Cadillac for 5 years and got plenty of seat time in the high output versions of the Northstar and they are fun to drive, but still not as fun as the LS4 equipped cars. The unfortunate reality is that they are quite pricey due to the relatively short production run they had. A good bit of news is that GM will be reintroducing the Monte Carlo SS name back into the line-up and it is rumored that they will be LS-powered RWD cars similar to the law enforcement-only Caprice. Of course, I'm sure the price tag will be much less exciting for most of us.
    1999 GMC Sierra 1500 standard cab long bed 4.8 V8 2WD - A work in progress.
    2000 Grand Prix GT sedan 3800 - My new daily driver inherited from the wife via the insurance company totaling it out after a minor collision.
    2006 Grand Prix GT sedan 3800 Supercharged - The wife's new grocery getter.

I think I would sell the house and be homeless if they came out with a new LS 9C1 car... just drive day and night... ooo a 9C1 station wagon so you could take a nap!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Not sure about a station wagon, but there is speculation of an El Camino ! All of these vehicles are Holden-based platforms anyways and they still make an El Camino type Holden and also a station wagon. The current U.S. model Caprice PPV looks like a cross between an Impala and Malibu up close. The subtle styling makes it an excelent sleeper and cop car because you'd never suspect that it's packin' 361 ponies under the hood all directed to the rear wheels. While the current Caprice PPV (Police Patrol vehicle) in the U.S. is equipped with the 361hp L77 6.0 liter LS style V8. The civillian versions will have a few engine options ranging from something from the High Feature V6 line up in base models to something along the lines of the 436hp 6.2 liter LS3 in the top level and SS models. The civillian versions are expected to be available in late 2013 as a 2014 year model. The styling of at least the uplevel and SS models will be a lot sportier than the plain-jane cop cars as well. If you want a decent idea of what to expect just visit Holden's website as most likely there will be very little changed.
    1999 GMC Sierra 1500 standard cab long bed 4.8 V8 2WD - A work in progress.
    2000 Grand Prix GT sedan 3800 - My new daily driver inherited from the wife via the insurance company totaling it out after a minor collision.
    2006 Grand Prix GT sedan 3800 Supercharged - The wife's new grocery getter.

Carb and Points!
    Has anyone mentioned the Buick GNX? Had the 3.8 also, and Ran the quarter in 13.2 sec. And 0-60 in 4.3.
    Last edited by paulli; 04-24-2015 at 04:09 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    While it's in the same engine family, the LC2 is not in the same series. Not like it matters anyway, the OP has lost his battle with cancer just a short time ago.
    '86 Grand National