Quote Originally Posted by jim_in_dorris View Post
ok, is that sort of like modifying the drivers and memcal to do tpi with a tbi prom? What I would think then is if he took the tbi memcal code, modified it to CPI/PFI, and put the prom in the CFI memcal then wouldn't that accomplish the same thing? The RFD side of the memcal would be for CFI, the code turned on the CFI, and all the tables would be set for manual tranny?

On the other hand, switching from auto code to manual code may be fairly straightforward, but as I recall, all the spark and fueling tables are different between them as well.
That's what I've been saying all along use the MEMCAL that has an original configuration for the induction system, in this case, CPI. Then program an EPROM for CPI with a manual trans, don't worry about what the original PROM was programmed for, it becomes null and void in the end. The LHM and RFD (and knock filter) side of the MEMCAL are the parts that remain connected to the ECM in the end. Even if there are large changes between an auto cal and a manual cal, there are editors for that (Tuner Pro). ;)

Quote Originally Posted by romac55 View Post
What I'm trying to accomplish is simple ; I'd like to dump the ECM's 4L60E trans inputs , as I'm changing to a manual 4-speed . Can I just do that with a chip change to one from a manual trans truck (same 16187427 ECM) ? There's so much I don't know , kind of like basic education ; the more you learn , the less you know . LOL . Thanks for your wisdom . Be safe...Bob.
No, you can't use the TBI PROM on the CFI MEMCAL to accomplish what you want. The BIN/PROM is still programmed for TBI and will at the very least pop up a CEL (Check Engine Light) for cyl count error, possibly MEMCAL or PROM error.

The solution is simple. Use the CPI MEMCAL and program an EPROM with a CFI and manual trans bin. I'm pretty sure you will need to set-up the CPI bin for manual yourself, I don't recall there being a CPI with a manual trans from the factory.

You can use the compare function in Tuner Pro to find differences between auto and manual bins. Some stuff that would be TBI specific you would have to ignore.