Thread: 16147060 $85 Superceeded to $D8

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    Thanks for the reply!

I figured that's what it was with the .xdf not complete. I started tuning the tuner's bin that I got from him and he's modified the addresses I posted above. And my 2nd gear shifts really hard so I wanted to see if I can put those trans parameters back to stock and see if it helps. (I have a transgo kit in the trans too)
    Maybe I'll have to lean how to do hac stuff. Idk.

I've added alot of low load lower rpm timing as you can see. Truck really responds well. I hope this gets me another 1mpg. Afterall, that's 10%!!!!! LMAO!

My truck does NOT like the timing anywhere from 1600-2800 rpms and 60-90kpa area's. Go figure, the stock map was way low too.

I started on my VE tables and I can see they've changed since I've done my spark. I will have to revisit. My stock spark table is posted below.

Here's the 3 bins/spark maps that I've combined to make my current spark map:

1995 454SS BMHK

1990 454SS BAMY

1993 454 1 ton BANC

Here's my current showing the left side decel dropping off timing. A better view of my map is posted in my previous post:

Last edited by chevmasta; 06-02-2012 at 07:06 PM.

Not sure without the bin to compare but looks like you dropped way to much decel there? It may not even light off throughing raw unburned fuel at you O2 sensor during decel, isn't your bin here some where?

So what's the issue now your after?

What's done to your motor? You ought to try that bin I posted just to see how it runs, it also had a smoother VE table to start then tweaked via BLM, does not have the super drop in fuel used to limit power and RPM, compare it to a stock BANF...

I see what you did with the three, but I don't like to do that because of all other bias possibilities of three bin files from 5 years apart? Then a performance truck and a work horse, I mean look at the 454 SS table capared to the BANC which looks identical to BANF... I keep finding the KISS policy works well

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I've dropped 2* at 1000 and 7* at 1200. It's actually not THAT much different on decel. I was thinking of doing more because of the little difference. I still have 15 and 16* in those cells.
    It's also hard to get DFCO to actually turn on. When it does my timing was dropping down to 10*

I know the only difference in the GEN V 454's from SS to mine is tuning. Base engine is exactly the same. they had 250hp IIRC and I had 235hp.

Only place I found my bin was on the tunerpro site, IIRC. I do have a copy if you want it. I used the HDR1 from moates to read my bin so I know it's a correct BANC.bin

My engine is pretty much stock minus a 3" exhaust from the manifolds back. And a fuel pressure increase to 16psi. I'll try your bin and see what happens.

Here's my current VE map. needs some small tweaks after some timing adjustments ive made. Remember that I rarely get out to 4krpm areas for the most part so those I really haven't done some tweaking in.

This is my first time tuning with this stuff. Maybe I'm doing it all wrong. lol

stock VE table:

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by chevmasta; 06-02-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Looks like your doing good with the tables! Way easier to work with then stock.

DFCO bias is obviously intruding on what timing table says, another good reason to bring it back up to where it should be stock.

If your got 16 PSI then grab that injector sizing spread sheet I just posted in another thread and see what BPW is supposed to be.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    So I took a look at your bin spark map and compared it to mine in various areas. Just looking at the two tables (to the untrained eye) they look different.........

However, my spark timing cells were within .5*- 1.25*of yours in many many points! Mostly in the loaded areas where the truck is actually driven under towing conditions. This makes me happy! Makes me confident in what I was doing.

I do have significant more timing in the lower rpm and lower loaded areas where a vacuum advance would be........but......

I've been driving it alot and not getting one single knock count!

That's fine, but now add a 10k load?

The little differences your finding would probably not add up to that much at timing marks! Remember the cell your in is interpolated with four surrounding cells to come up with actual number, without bias factors.

Learn to use the smooth tool, set to .50, start at bottom right cell and smooth, nothing should change, go across bottom row to left doing the same, one cell at a time. Now go back to bottom right and move up one row, one cell at a time up 100 MAP to top. Then do second row up from bottom. right to left, third row up, fourth and all. Leave all idle alone and same... now look at your graph or watch as you do this. You'll see how everthing comes closer together, looks smoother but interpolation will end up about same timing. Now when smooth if you find some knock in a cell, you can take out 1 degree from 3 rows and three columns, still smooth, not like what GM did and grab and area and YANK those weird spikes and valleys...

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Yeah, I haven't loaded it with 10k yet. I've been tuning it with my 10.5' camper on. Total weight is about 3k lbs. When I add the boat and full of gear I should be in the 9k range and this should be the most I'll tow.

I should have been more specific too. I have the G3 switching adapter from Moates. I plan on having a few different maps.......one specifically for a "tow/haul" mode like the new trucks which drastically change my shift points and back off some timing. One for Unloaded operation, and who know's what else. I think I can have 16 different maps with the EX switch.

http://www.moates.net/gp3-switcher-a...-and-chip.html
    http://www.moates.net/ex-remote-switch-w-led.html

I really appreciate your help with everything. If I get up in your area I owe you a beer! I'll check out the smoothing function and play with it.

Next thing I want to go after is the small puff of black smoke during initial crank/startup when cold. It's never done this before. It's not causing a runability problem but it must be too rich on cranking.

Edit:
    Here's my map with the smoothing at .85:
    .50 seemed to add a degree or more of timing in areas which I didn't want.

Here's my setup:

Last edited by chevmasta; 06-04-2012 at 06:11 AM.