Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
Well, you've just arrived at the heart of the issue. The 165 was "good enough" even though vehicles with a more recent design were getting a better ecm. OEM choices are based on economy and profit. That's what business is. But you're in a different space.

Think of it this way... the 5.7 / 350 was "good enough" until the LS engine was introduced. But you're using a 383 instead. Why? And if you're using a better version of the factory engine what is stopping you from using a better version of the factory ecm? The 7427 has more features and more tunable tables. The LS pcm has more tables and features than the 7427 and it has a faster processor.

If you want to run dual pcm's, follow the instructions in the pdf previously posted.

I am subject to a lot of bad reports of engine failures with the newer engines and car, seem the newer they become the faster and more costly repairs.

Lots of reports of major problems with every transmission from the Ford 5R55s on up.

I know a SBC can take beating and keep on Ticking, and the same for a 4L80...and my Doug Nash Dual Range Overdrive. I CAN tow in the 4L80 in 3rd and in the DN Overdrive so I will be in 3rd overdrive.

With the newer many gears you really need to be in the 1:1 gear to tow.

So as my 93 G20 Van came with a SBC I want as close to a 400 I could get, so a383, and as I wanted torque a longer stroke gives that.

So what can a newer super PCM do better in my set up??

The 165 has a adjustable Highway mode, and it fades in and out automatically...need to pass something, just put your foot in it return to cruising speed and it fades back into highway mode. As I may not be the driver on long trips my co drivers need to not blow up my engine is we hit a hill, I NEED the system to be automatic.

I have seen some grade that snick up on you...and that might harm a manual lean burn.

So two questions how would one kick a system out of Closed Loop??

And what PDF?? the one where your running a carb and using the PCM as a TCM??

Rich